Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Dear Gate Agents: Checked in full does NOT mean boarded full!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dear Gate Agents: Checked in full does NOT mean boarded full!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
If DL resolved their silly "you come off the WL when you board" thing and got consistency with pulling you from Y re UG's, then this wouldn't be an issue!
I agree. Truthfully, I would understand their reasoning behind this.

However, until these rules are changed officially by DL, I would appreciate their GA's abiding by the current policy.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by lsugolfer
Two things must happen for that to occur:

1. The fare purchased must be a K-fare or higher.
2. There must be G inventory available to use miles to upgrade. In this case it would be 12,500 miles for my AUS-ATL flight, however, I could not upgrade because I was on a L fare.
I guess this is a lesson learned. When I used to fly a lot of domestic US routes I always made sure my booking class was such that I could upgrade if I so chose to. I think on Delta.com they do make it relatively easy to try to purchase the right booking code so you can upgrade if you so choose to. Although I know some corporations require evidence you bought the cheapest available fare which would preclude upgrading. Some allow you to pay the difference with your own money though.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Assume you use a DL CC? Because with that many segments and not enough MQM's to have hit plat, must be a lot of sub 500 mile flights, which in terms of earning miles would take roughly 30 segments to get one low RT mileage ticket.
I have a DL AMEX and a DL World MC Debit Card with Suntrust, most of my routes are 500 mile flights. I am currently at 94 paid segments on the year 4 segments on a 25,000 award ticket, and 6 segments using the pay with miles feature.

I've also been a DL traveler for 4 years now at sub-medallion levels, have my car rental and hotel accounts linked to my skymiles account, and participate in dining for miles, e-surveys for miles, etc.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:08 am
Original Poster

I guess this is a lesson learned. When I used to fly a lot of domestic US routes I always made sure my booking class was such that I could upgrade if I so chose to. I think on Delta.com they do make it relatively easy to try to purchase the right booking code so you can upgrade if you so choose to. Although I know some corporations require evidence you bought the cheapest available fare which would preclude upgrading. Some allow you to pay the difference with your own money though.
This is entirely irrelevant to the issue at hand.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:22 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I agree. Truthfully, I would understand their reasoning behind this.

However, until these rules are changed officially by DL, I would appreciate their GA's abiding by the current policy.
^^^
Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Time Away
This same thing happened to me today at LAX for ATL. I did wait at the gate politely informed the GA that I was #1 on this list and there is 1 seat showing unclaimed to which her reply was "but you weren't number 1 before everyone boarded.". My point exactly! She (and a Redcoat) ended up forcing me to board. Then they came to get whomever from Y and move him to FC. I just would like a policy for ALL to follow and consistency across DL. I did send them a nice little email from 35,000 feet.. I will post the reply from DL.
I know I am quoting my own post here, but I needed to add something else I found out when I arrived at ATL last night after talking to one of the other so-called "gamers" as we de-planed.

When I arrived at the gate, no one had boarded yet. I was #7 with supposedly 3 seats (1 unassigned and 2 unclaimed). I knew it was a long shot, but I didn't have a carry-on and it's a long flight so I decided to wait. By the time zone 4 was called, I was #3 and I wasn't the only one waiting. There were at least two more Medallions waiting near me as well. Both of their names were called by the GA to standby for a possible upgrade after Medallions 1-4 on the list already had boarded. I must have missed them being called again, but I saw them both board and figured they didn't want to wait any longer. Turns out, they both got upgraded which then left me as #1 on the list. I found this out in ATL after the flight by talking to one of the individuals waiting around at the gate with me. Another important point to clarify is that the two waiting were not orginally #1 or 2, they were 5 and 6. (I know this because I must have looked like a dog staring at the dinner table for scraps as posted above.) The rest is in my original post in the quote above.

So the GA let Medallions 1-4 board and be ineligible for an upgrade, then upgraded 5 & 6, then proceeded to deny #7, and then upgrade orginal #1. Talk about inconsistency.

On top of all that, as a PM, the GA didn't make me feel like a valued customer. She made a comment that the orginal #1 or 2 on the list might be a DM or PM. I let that one roll off my back and didn't pull a DYKWIA fit, but the more I think about it and read the posts in this thread, the more it ticks me off!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
I was #7 with supposedly 3 seats (1 unassigned and 2 unclaimed).
Both of their names were called by the GA to standby for a possible upgrade after Medallions 1-4 on the list already had boarded.
Actually the issue here is that you had two unassigned F seats when boarding began, and the upgrades weren't cleared.

It's one thing to cash in on a lucky upgrade based on this "board and lose" policy.

But to not clear upgrades for vacant seats until boarding has commenced, then tell #'s 5 and 6 to stand-by for a likely upgrade is really crappy.

This also illustrates just how clueless some elites are when it comes to the upgrade process. I can't imagine anyone who frequents this forum even thinking about boarding when the GIDS showed the number of unclaimed seats (whether "reserved" or not) was greater than their position on the u/g list.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
So the GA let Medallions 1-4 board and be ineligible for an upgrade, then upgraded 5 & 6, then proceeded to deny #7, and then upgrade orginal #1. Talk about inconsistency.

Again, this just makes me crazy. I can't imagine that anyone in DL management would actually want the program to be deployed by the GAs in this manner.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Besides the lack of consistency in this policy, one of my chief issues with this is the number of GAs who, when asked if F has boarded full, will dismissively tell you that it has to make you go away when, in fact, there are still empty seats in F. It seems like a tremendous bother to most GAs to have to actually look to see if F has boarded full. Much like everything DL does, I would just like to see a consistently enforced policy so I know what to expect when I show up at the airport and/or try to board a flight.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Watchful
Today on the LAX-DTW flight the agent called one name asking that passenger to remain in the gate area for a "possible upgrade" and told the others to go ahead and board. That was helpful, I thought!
I have experienced this and thought it was the best way to deal with the DL policies that exist. ^
Old Oct 13, 2011, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

I have experienced this and thought it was the best way to deal with the DL policies that exist.
They do this in JAX...immediately after they call for F, the GA looks at the screen to see who's boarded and if it isn't full tells the pax on the list that match up with the number of vacant seats in F to hold back.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
They do this in JAX...immediately after they call for F, the GA looks at the screen to see who's boarded and if it isn't full tells the pax on the list that match up with the number of vacant seats in F to hold back.
I hear that announcement quite a bit in LAX.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Sky Club, United Club, Admirals Club, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thegasguru
Now THIS is BS!! I couldn't agree with you more...ONE policy enforced the SAME way, every time. It's one thing for the OP, who had a GA that was either ill-informed at best or deliberately misleading at worst. But for you, this was an outright disregard of the procedure, and you got hosed, my friend.

Wow...my blood is starting to boil just at the thought of your episode...
Why should your blood boil? It is highly possible the GA told the person who was previously #1 on the list to board and that if there were a seat she would get her and move her up. Then this person shows up, because his cx was late or he sat drinking in the lounge or whatever and he's supposed to just waltz in and get the seat?

I do agree, of course, 1 policy for all. The policy should be the seat goes in order of rank not whether you board first or sneak in just before the doorknob hits you where the good Lord split ya.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
I personally have nothing against falling off the upgrade list once I've boarded. To me, it's rolling the dice either way (to an extent). Generally I'm flying day trips or a single over-night, so I have a carry-on only. If I am not upgraded at window and I'm on the list but it doesn't look like I'll clear, I'm willing to give up the slot on the UG list to, hopefully, find overhead space for my bag. If you wait until all 4 zones are boarded and have a bag, you may get the lone remaining F seat, but if not, you may be out of luck and have to gate-check the bag. All of this is, of course, moot, if you're not carrying on.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: DL GM; SPG- Gold; HH-Diamond; IHG-Gold
DTW to SLC about 2 weeks ago. Was 5 on the UG list with 4 seats open, on delta app. Upgrade list was not on the monitor, so approached gate agent And asked where I was on the list. Gate agent says, "I'm not going to be able to accommodate you, please board with your zone", and handed me back my BP. I asked what number I was and was told "you're in the top 10". Upgrade list eventually showed up on screen, was showing 0 seats open with me now number one, there was also one reserved, but unclaimed seat. Waited until boarding started and at T-30, still one F seat not checked in. Two gate agents working flight, one handling boarding, and the one I talked to earlier handing out seat assignments. She looks at me and asks if I need help and I reply that I'm waiting on the unclaimed F seat. She replies "please board F is full". I point out that one passenger failed to check in, she checks her screen and frowns, then turns away. About 5 mins later she looks over and tells me I've waited long enough and hands me a BP for 1B, like she's doing me a favor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.