Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

UA 747 landing at DTW mid-day Thursday.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2011, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond since inception

I saw a UA 747 landing at DTW mid-day Thursday and they have no scheduled 747 flights from DTW - Can anyone add any insight to this?

As a Delta hub this was a unique sight and thought the Delta board with a zillion more posts than the UA forum could help me out.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 12:37 am

Programs: DL DM; UA PLT
Looks to be UA929 LHR > ORD that diverted to DTW

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL929
Old Oct 7, 2011, 4:23 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I would have guessed that the regional jet scheduled for the DTW-ORD run had a mechanical and they substituted a jumbo for that... pretty standard practice.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Strange they diverted to DTW since ORD is barely much farther. The flight also departed LHR 3 hours late.
Seems that the flight then departed for ORD two hours after landing in DTW.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
maybe it was defecting!
Old Oct 7, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: DL KM (charter)
Also, remember, most major-college football teams charter various legacy carrier metal when they travel to away (and bowl) games. I would surmise Michigan, Michigan State, Bowling Green, and Toledo would all use DTW.

It is not unusual for close to 200 players, coaches, and staff to travel with close to 200 pieces of the band, staff, and spirit squads all on the same flight, especially transcons and/or bowl games.

Usually, they leave Friday morning (for Saturday games). When I worked in athletics at Tennessee (1992-2003), we travelled on whatever equipment the carrier gave us, sometimes even 744s (usually 753/763) for transcon trips.

Just a thought...
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:06 am

It diverted to refuel.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by immiLawyer
Also, remember, most major-college football teams charter various legacy carrier metal when they travel to away (and bowl) games. I would surmise Michigan, Michigan State, Bowling Green, and Toledo would all use DTW.
Makes sense -- Michigan is at Northwestern this weekend, but the Sparties have a bye.

Bob H
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:09 am

I have landed at DTW three times in the last two years now coming in from Europe on UA due to weather/traffic problems at ORD. Reason was refueling, they can only do the holding pattern for a certain amount of time. Always a pleasure being back at my favorite former NW hub, but we are always relegated to a far away refueling pad.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by immiLawyer
Perhaps U of M, but Michigan State charters flights directly from/to Lansing. I'd guess BG and Toledo would fly into/out of Toledo.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Idling the engines for three hours during a delay will consume enough fuel such that there is not enough of a margin if anything happens at ORD.
You can't just park a plane at the side of the road and call AAA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.