Skymiles versus One pass.

Old Sep 23, 11, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, LH, DL, , UA, F9, AF, WN, HHonnors. Priority Club, Choice Hotels, Gold Crown Club.
Skymiles versus One pass.

Hello first let me apologize if this question was already asked, I am looking but cannot find answer.
I have 50K MR points that I want to transfer to miles.
I have a good amount of miles on each airline which I never used.
The offer of 25k bonus miles by DL seems very attractive but from what I read it is much easier to redeem them on CO versus DL.
Could you give me your advice?
Thanks
Old Sep 23, 11, 2:49 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
What do you want to use your miles for? Destination? Time of year? First/Business class or coach?

I book low level DL awards quite often, but it takes a lot of work and a fair degree of flexibility, not to mention extensive use of DL's partners (though I also have booked DL-operated flights with miles).

No one can really answer your question without a lot more info.
Old Sep 23, 11, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, SW AL/CP
Originally Posted by zedman View Post
Hello first let me apologize if this question was already asked, I am looking but cannot find answer.
I have 50K MR points that I want to transfer to miles.
I have a good amount of miles on each airline which I never used.
The offer of 25k bonus miles by DL seems very attractive but from what I read it is much easier to redeem them on CO versus DL.
Could you give me your advice?
Thanks
Unless the specific award you want is between 50-75k miles, I would recommend going to CO. I'm new to delta as of a few months ago and the process of finding award seats at low rates is so arduous. Most of my usual activity is on United and it's been much easier.
Old Sep 23, 11, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, SW AL/CP
This is a great resource about which alliance is best for specific regions you might want to fly to: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...to-redeem-for/
Old Sep 24, 11, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, LH, DL, , UA, F9, AF, WN, HHonnors. Priority Club, Choice Hotels, Gold Crown Club.
Thanks for your answers.
I am planning to use my miles to travel in business class with the transfer and the bonus I would have more than 150K miles.
It would be a combination of DL and partner more likely to Africa.
(thanks for the link Chutchins)
Old Sep 24, 11, 2:34 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2MM, DL DM, UA PP <=> HH DM/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P/ CC G, FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by zedman View Post
Thanks for your answers.
I am planning to use my miles to travel in business class with the transfer and the bonus I would have more than 150K miles.
It would be a combination of DL and partner more likely to Africa.
(thanks for the link Chutchins)
You can do it on DL, as fti put it, with a lot of work and luck.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ss-awards.html
If you already have 100k on CO, I would transfer to CO now before Sep 30.
That chance will not come again.
If you plan to go on DL regardless, I would transfer to DL now with borrowing/advancing points, as 60k Amex = 100k DL with a 40k Amex rebate later in 8 weeks.

Using DL miles is a game and a very good one if you are flexible and persistent.
You can get great value or great dissatisfaction out of it.

I personally would keep 50k as Amex or on CO as a backup for 1-2 domestic trips on *.
First line up the award on DL and transfer points back and forth as much as you can now with the 100% transfer bonus on sharing miles.
Cost 1.1 cpm, max 300in, 150 out per account. Just topped off the family accounts and consolidated them all to the accounts with status.
EU trips Biz - 1200$ each = great value and service.
Old Sep 24, 11, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Biz class on Delta as others have stated requires lots of work, I mean lots of it, and patience. Then luck too.
Old Sep 25, 11, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your answers...
Old Sep 25, 11, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
I have been able, with relative ease, to book a business class award ticket on DL at the lowest mileage level.

I have heard constant horror stories about DL SkyMiles but so far I have not experienced anything outside the ordinary, and I have been able to book a lot of domestic award travel very easily (on DL) at the lowest mileage award.

A couple of observations (relative to OnePass):

1. Awards at the lowest level seem to be more readily available on DL than CO if you book at the last minute. In September 2010, I booked a BusinessElite award ticket on DL JFK-SIN, at the lowest mileage level one week before the trip began. Not only was this available, but it was literally the only business class award available on any airline JFK-SIN for that trip.
2. Unlike CO, DL has no "close-in convenience fee" for booking an award ticket, which costs $75 on CO.
3. DL does have some pretty constraining rules regarding changes (the "72-hour rulle", $150 change fee), but I have found DL staff far more empowered to be flexible than over at OnePass.
4. One major advantage that CO has is that SkyTeam, DL's airline alliance, is very poor, outside of AF and KL, while CO is a member of Star Alliance, which usually has amazing inventory available.
5. On the flip side, DL seems to be genuinely interested in making the experience better for the customer, while the current prevailing attitude at CO is very user-unfriendly (just try getting through to a phone agent there during peak periods...good luck!)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: