Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Unusual (stupid) reason for departure delay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole

SkyWest dba Delta Connection flt 7779 on 9/18, an RJ2 departing my tiny little SGU airport for SLC scheduled for 6:13PM departure. Aircraft arrived on time for the turn, but the fuel truck showed up with not enough fuel for the next leg. The truck driver took his time, about 30 minutes, refilling his truck and getting back to fuel the aircraft. Probably took the time to fill up the truck completely instead of taking on just enough to fuel the aircraft. Almost, but not quite, made me miss my connection in SLC. Several pax on board also with tight connections chose to deplane rather than risk it and there were probably some hotel and meal vouchers handed out in SLC. The fuel truck driver probably took it in the shorts over this one.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:42 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Pretty crappy.

Hope they don't get on him too much or next time he might just say, "close enough!"
Old Sep 22, 2011, 6:51 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Dumb thing to complain about. Can't go anywhere without fuel. Would you rather run out mid-flight?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Dumb thing to complain about. Can't go anywhere without fuel. Would you rather run out mid-flight?
Well, nobody I know would voluntarily fly with insufficient fuel, but still, I think it is a valid gripe. If one's job in life is to fuel airplanes, then I would hope they would know all the particulars before they brought the fuel truck to the plane.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I had a flight delayed last weekend due to a clogged lavatory valve. That's a crappy reason for a delay.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
I once had a flight delayed out of MSP because the the plane was missing one safety card. I understand that they are required to have one for every seat, but it took them a long time (about an hour, if memory serves) to find a replacement.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
SkyWest dba Delta Connection flt 7779 on 9/18, an RJ2 departing my tiny little SGU airport for SLC scheduled for 6:13PM departure. Aircraft arrived on time for the turn, but the fuel truck showed up with not enough fuel for the next leg. The truck driver took his time, about 30 minutes, refilling his truck and getting back to fuel the aircraft. Probably took the time to fill up the truck completely instead of taking on just enough to fuel the aircraft. Almost, but not quite, made me miss my connection in SLC. Several pax on board also with tight connections chose to deplane rather than risk it and there were probably some hotel and meal vouchers handed out in SLC. The fuel truck driver probably took it in the shorts over this one.
I see you're still taking the last flight of the day --some of the people who got off may have decided to travel the next day.

I agree the guy with the truck did a dumb thing, but 30 minutes isn't that long.

10 minutes to get to where he gets the fuel, 10 minutes to fill and 10 minutes to get back isn't an unreasonable amount of time.

We were at SGU this past week and it's a great airport to use, albeit a long way from town.

We did have one problem on our flight to SGU though... the APU on our plane wasn't working, so no A/C while the plane was on the ground.

Conditions on board were like a sauna and probably worse for those taking the return flight because it's still very much summer down there in Utah's Dixie.

Ironically, Skywest is hq'd in St. George and many of their employees essentially commute from there.

Bob H
Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by javabytes
I had a flight delayed last weekend due to a clogged lavatory valve. That's a crappy reason for a delay.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
A few years ago I had a flight delay as they pumped out some fuel since they filled it up too much and the plane would have too heavy to land on the short flight.

On another flight we waited an hour for an FAA approved flashlight. The flight was also during the day. I understand minimum equipment list.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
I'm a gambling man... I'll take that risk.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
have you ever refueled a plane? 30 minutes doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. Could've been tempature issues, pilot needed more fuel. Bettter to take off with enough then not enough.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
I'm a gambling man... I'll take that risk.
Me too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuEdU_lrtZk

Live "below the slash" ...it is the only way to live!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Singleflyer
A few years ago I had a flight delay as they pumped out some fuel since they filled it up too much and the plane would have too heavy to land on the short flight.

I've had that happen a few times on puddle jumper flights--- usually the reason given is the plane is too heavy to take off.... and once or twice I've seen them go back to the gate and remove passengers and sometimes they've pumped off fuel or just burned it.

Bob H
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:17 am

Phew that was close. Good thing the connecting flight didn't leave early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.