Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Really Cool Inconsequential Upgrade Today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

Had a really great customer service experience at the LGA Shuttle Terminal that I thought I would share because it made my day and was an example of great customer service and kindness.

I flew this morning to BOS with an overseas colleague on the same PNR. At check in, the agent asked if I wanted to separate the PNR because my colleague didn't have a Skymiles number and that was holding us back from getting upgrades. I said no, I'd rather sit with him. She then kindly offered to sign him up for the program.

Then, when going thru security, she poked her head over and said that she was going to try to get him entered into the system to get us on the list. Long story short, she came with us to the gate, got his info in the system - including several trips over to us to clarify his address details - etc. And we got upgraded.

I say inconsequential because who cares about that on LGA to BOS, but it was really cool because she really went out of her way to do something kind. I don't think I've ever been more happy to give a 'Job Well Done' cert.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by flyingdesigner
Had a really great customer service experience at the LGA Shuttle Terminal that I thought I would share because it made my day and was an example of great customer service and kindness.

I flew this morning to BOS with an overseas colleague on the same PNR. At check in, the agent asked if I wanted to separate the PNR because my colleague didn't have a Skymiles number and that was holding us back from getting upgrades. I said no, I'd rather sit with him. She then kindly offered to sign him up for the program.

Then, when going thru security, she poked her head over and said that she was going to try to get him entered into the system to get us on the list. Long story short, she came with us to the gate, got his info in the system - including several trips over to us to clarify his address details - etc. And we got upgraded.

I say inconsequential because who cares about that on LGA to BOS, but it was really cool because she really went out of her way to do something kind. I don't think I've ever been more happy to give a 'Job Well Done' cert.
^^
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta Ballast Medallion, Card Carrying Honorary KM
Originally Posted by snod08
^^
Seconded!
Old Oct 9, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Especially cool since you are PM, not DM, which makes such special treatment less likely.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
hope you e-mail delta and inform them about her customer service excellence too!
Old Oct 9, 2011, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
hope you e-mail delta and inform them about her customer service excellence too!
But, does that risk getting her in trouble? Was she outside the strict interpretation of the rules?
Old Oct 9, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
dilemma

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
But, does that risk getting her in trouble? Was she outside the strict interpretation of the rules?
Yes, isn't that the dilemma?

For situations like this, I'm thinking more and more of a small supply of Starbucks gift cards, especially with the holidays coming up.

But maybe that's bribery? <sigh>

Last edited by AKC6; Oct 9, 2011 at 1:51 pm Reason: remove peripheral TSA reference
Old Oct 9, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
that is why I said " customer service excellence" didn't mean for him to inform them about the whole situation word for word.

Anyways Delta Lurkers are among us =x

Originally Posted by AKC6

For situations like this, I'm thinking more and more of a small supply of Starbucks gift cards, especially with the holidays coming up.

But maybe that's bribery, and now I fit the TSA profile? <sigh>
Which is why I find it funny how TA/BH at Southwest can accept tips.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Oct 9, 2011 at 1:18 pm
Old Oct 9, 2011, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

I like that idea. ^

We certainly don't get enough Job Well Done certificates, and your idea provides an alternative.

And every airport (it seems) has a Starbucks.

Could a DL employee tells us whether there is some reason another DL employee should look askance at being offered a small gift card in recognition of service?

PS> Does anyone have a connection at Starbucks headquarters?

FlyerTalk logo'd Starbucks gift cards would be great!
Old Oct 9, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I like that idea. ^

We certainly don't get enough Job Well Done certificates, and your idea provides an alternative.

And every airport (it seems) has a Starbucks.

Could a DL employee tells us whether there is some reason another DL employee should look askance at being offered a small gift card in recognition of service?

PS> Does anyone have a connection at Starbucks headquarters?

FlyerTalk logo'd Starbucks gift cards would be great!
Excellent idea!
Old Oct 9, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta Ballast Medallion, Card Carrying Honorary KM
Well, she went 'above and beyond', and to be honest, if she thought it would get her in trouble, she probably wouldn't have done it (we ARE allowed to 'work outside the box on occasion!) - If you are so inclined to send a note 'up the ladder', those are always appreciated.

Also, gifts are NOT necessary, but of course, only a real jackass would be offended at receiving one, and I've never had my work hands slapped when a customer gives/sends an UNSOLICITED gift.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
What am I missing? Why would:
  • Giving "above and beyond" personalisd customer service
  • And signing someone up to SkyMiles (somethign that benefits Daddy Delta in the long run)

Why would that get any DL staffer in trouble?

OP - glad to hear about your positive experience.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
You can commend her without all the details. Her customer service was exceptional, she went out of her way to welcome and assist an international visitor, she helped you and your colleague deal with Delta regulations, she made extra efforts to enroll a new Delta flyer into the Sky Miles program so s/he could receive credit for flights that day, etc., etc.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
No Upgrade is Inconsequential

You might end up with a MX or WX delay after boarding and be stuck on the plane. I'd much rather spend the delay in F than in Y.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 7:51 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium-Platinum Medallion, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Great gesture by the agent!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.