Wiki Posts
Search

AVOD/Sat. TV

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AA Platinum, DL Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
AVOD/Sat. TV

Flew yesterday JFK-LAS on a 757 that the reservations system said would be just overhead movie but was thrilled to see that DL switched planes to seat back AVOD/Sat. TV. Perfect flight for that change -- 5 hour afternoon/evening flight on opening NFL weekend with my Jets playing! I had actually been bummed out for a while and thinking about switching to a different flight that had it (or just paying for Gogo internet and settling for a very unsatisfying gamecast instead of the real thing).

I wonder if this was a last minute plane change (1st class cabin was 26 seats instead of the "advertised" 24) or just outdated information on their booking systems. I guess I'll see what happens on the return which is supposed to also have a non AVOD plane.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
There are so many variants of the 757, and they are switched around all the time for operational reasons. You got a nice bonus this time moving to a 75X. But just as likely next time around you will book the 75X and will get a sub for a 757 with the overheads.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
You're lucky.

I think on quite a few occasions, I've expected a 757 or 737-800 with AVOD (as indicated when booking the flight) and it has turned out to be one of the birds that has overhead instead. Which can be quite disappointing. Nevertheless, this is just something that I've learned to accept - a/c can be changed due to ops and sometimes you're lucky, and other times you're not.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AA Platinum, DL Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
That's what I figured. But I won't complain if I "give one back" next time I'm expecting AVOD/Sat. TV since yesterday I really, really wanted that tv and it was such a bonus to get it.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
I am frequently surprised on some routes that aircraft are equipped with AVOD. 28 minute flight ATL-BHM a few weeks back had AVOD with sat TV.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by jsmith50
I am frequently surprised on some routes that aircraft are equipped with AVOD. 28 minute flight ATL-BHM a few weeks back had AVOD with sat TV.
Sometimes that does surprise me, I've had AVOD on a 59 minute flight from MCO to ATL before. But you have to think about it, that same a/c probably did ATL - LAX or SFO or another transcon that warrants that and was used on the short-haul just because another plain old boring 757 wasn't available.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by stylo4444
Sometimes that does surprise me, I've had AVOD on a 59 minute flight from MCO to ATL before. But you have to think about it, that same a/c probably did ATL - LAX or SFO or another transcon that warrants that and was used on the short-haul just because another plain old boring 757 wasn't available.
Thus, my surprise at seeing AVOD-equipped aircraft on the ATL-BHM route. While this is, apparently, a heavy traffic route,I think the aircraft here usually go back and forth.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Thus, my surprise at seeing AVOD-equipped aircraft on the ATL-BHM route. While this is, apparently, a heavy traffic route,I think the aircraft here usually go back and forth.
Very few of those AC go back and fourth. Look at a schedule for tomorrow...most are on different TYPES of AC so they are not quick turns and do end up someplace else.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:16 pm

That's hardly ever the case actually.

It's all about a/c utilization. DL, like any other airline - wants to get the most of the airframes and they're always on the move unless in maintenance.

It could have also been the case that the original boring old 757 that was supposed to go into BHM was arriving late into ATL and DL wants to ensure an on-time departure so ops decided to use a 75X on that short route (a nice upgrade but also ensures on-time flight) instead that probably came back into ATL and then was sent off to the west coast.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stylo4444
You're lucky.

I think on quite a few occasions, I've expected a 757 or 737-800 with AVOD (as indicated when booking the flight) and it has turned out to be one of the birds that has overhead instead. Which can be quite disappointing. Nevertheless, this is just something that I've learned to accept - a/c can be changed due to ops and sometimes you're lucky, and other times you're not.
Yes they can change aircraft, but if they are going to advertise it, they are should be held more accountable. Sure on a short flight it is not a biggie, but on a transcon it is an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.