FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   PM choice benefits (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1257989-pm-choice-benefits.html)

Ti22 Sep 12, 2011 6:37 am

PM choice benefits

Any suggestions about choice benefits for reaching platinum? I've reached before and grabbed SC passes and for the next year just took the 20k skymiles.

Unfortunately, I learned much later that with UG tix I can use SC in/out of JFK anyway so I still have a couple of those coupons that expire soon, oh well...

DL took back the 20k skymiles this summer when I tried SDC and economy was full so the only way to get on that flight was to burn the miles on UG to FC.

My eyes glaze over trying to figure out what's a SWU? I assumed it was something geared more towards International trips and probably not something I would've used.

However, would SWU have got me the UG for my SDC full economy trip this summer? In other words could I have saved the 20k skymiles by just using just one SWU if I had chosen them?

Please share your opinions about choice benefits so that perhaps I can make a better choice this time around?

thanks...

javabytes Sep 12, 2011 7:11 am

SWUs allow you to upgrade a ticket from Y to F/J.

For domestic travel, tickets booked in Y/B/M/H/Q/K can be upgraded.
For international travel, tickets booked in Y/B/M can be upgraded. (Usually very expensive coach tickets.)
You can also use them on partners, such as on AF to upgrade from PV to Affaires.

In any case, just like complimentary Medallion upgrades, there also needs to be upgrade inventory available. Just because there is an open seat doesn't mean you can confirm an upgrade.

Ti22 Sep 12, 2011 8:14 am

Thanks Java for the good info. I guess I did okay since it was an award flight but that event sure changed my opinion and execution of SDC. 'pushed my luck too far during peak travel season. Okay DL, I get it...

Choices, choices - 'guess it's a good problem to have but IME 'never quite works out as beneficial as it sounds in the marketing verbage.

MSPDeltaDude Sep 12, 2011 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Ti22 (Post 17095115)
Thanks Java for the good info. I guess I did okay since it was an award flight but that event sure changed my opinion and execution of SDC. 'pushed my luck too far during peak travel season. Okay DL, I get it...

Choices, choices - 'guess it's a good problem to have but IME 'never quite works out as beneficial as it sounds in the marketing verbage.

What far class do you ususally buy? I think the SC pass are the worst option as far a choices. I say the 20K SM or $200 e-cert is the best unless you buy lots of Y INTL tickets in M or better fare class

Ti22 Sep 12, 2011 9:08 am

Originally Posted by MSPDeltaDude (Post 17095216)
What far class do you ususally buy? I think the SC pass are the worst option as far a choices. I say the 20K SM or $200 e-cert is the best unless you buy lots of Y INTL tickets in M or better fare class

My schedule's usually very flexible so I'm bottom feeder fare class and no INTL. I kinda figured same in regard to 20K SM last time around so I'll probably just do that choice again.

thanks all...

stencil Sep 12, 2011 9:13 am

I always take the $200 Tiffany gift card.

Keeps the ladies in my life happy, and that's worth a lot more than e-certs around here. :)

jamesteroh Sep 12, 2011 9:25 am

Originally Posted by MSPDeltaDude (Post 17095216)

I agree the SC passes aren't a good choice seeing how cheap you can buy day passes on Ebay or you can get in for $25 if you have a delta Am Ex. If someone is going to use the SC a lot they are probably better off taking the 20K miles and using that towards a one year membership paying with miles if they have a lot of miles.

If someone isn't going to use miles for a SC membership, I would say the $200 ECV is the best choice of that or the 20k Miles. I don't see 20K miles being worth anywhere near $200.

I'm not sure if I want the $200 delta voucher or the SWU's for my benefit this year. I never fly international on a M fare or higher and from what I am reading the SWU's don't help you get an upgrade much easier than your medallion status would (and a lot of times my long haul domestics are L, U T fares).

MSPDeltaDude Sep 12, 2011 9:34 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 17095479)
I agree the SC passes aren't a good choice seeing how cheap you can buy day passes on Ebay or you can get in for $25 if you have a delta Am Ex. If someone is going to use the SC a lot they are probably better off taking the 20K miles and using that towards a one year membership paying with miles if they have a lot of miles.

If someone isn't going to use miles for a SC membership, I would say the $200 ECV is the best choice of that or the 20k Miles. I don't see 20K miles being worth anywhere near $200.

I'm not sure if I want the $200 delta voucher or the SWU's for my benefit this year. I never fly international on a M fare or higher and from what I am reading the SWU's don't help you get an upgrade much easier than your medallion status would (and a lot of times my long haul domestics are L, U T fares).

20K miles can be great.....Booked MSP-RSW in March for 25k...ticket would've been well over 400...Booked MSP-HNL 40K in Feb....ticket was almost 900.

Ti22 Sep 12, 2011 9:50 am

Last minute 25k award flights are generally a good exchange for revenue fares close to departure date. For those situations $900 fare can often be replaced by 25k mile award so the 20k benefit is useful deal for me.

And in the case of my blown SDC that 20k did come in handy...

javabytes Sep 12, 2011 9:53 am

I don't often fly internationally, and I still choose the SWUs over the $200 eCert or 20k miles. I use the SWUs on domestic routes that are tough upgrades (such as SFO/LAX-JFK on a Friday) that I want to lock in, or to secure upgrades when traveling with a companion.

jamesteroh Sep 12, 2011 10:12 am

Originally Posted by MSPDeltaDude (Post 17095523)
20K miles can be great.....Booked MSP-RSW in March for 25k...ticket would've been well over 400...Booked MSP-HNL 40K in Feb....ticket was almost 900.

I always seem to have bad luck with finding low mileage redemption award tickets:( I have been able to use 12,500 points to upgrade one way before on some flights that are very hard to get upgrades on like DTW/SFO on a friday. Maybe I shoudl just go with the 20K award instead. 2 upgrades on that route are worth $200 plus another 5k miles for me.

jamesteroh Sep 12, 2011 10:16 am

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 17095649)
I don't often fly internationally, and I still choose the SWUs over the $200 eCert or 20k miles. I use the SWUs on domestic routes that are tough upgrades (such as SFO/LAX-JFK on a Friday) that I want to lock in, or to secure upgrades when traveling with a companion.

I was under the impression that on some of the tougher flights there wasn't seat inventory to get an upgrade at check in. I would rather have that benefit (assuming the K fare isn't a lot more than an LUT fare) than the $200 ECV even if I was only able to use two of them. Flying in First on a couple DTW/SFO or LAX trips to me is worth more than $200.

javabytes Sep 12, 2011 10:25 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 17095771)
I was under the impression that on some of the tougher flights there wasn't seat inventory to get an upgrade at check in. I would rather have that benefit (assuming the K fare isn't a lot more than an LUT fare) than the $200 ECV even if I was only able to use two of them. Flying in First on a couple DTW/SFO or LAX trips to me is worth more than $200.

JFK-LAX/SFO there is never inventory in advance, as they are the BE routes. But it will often get you high enough up on the list that you will get it at the gate, and will probably make a difference if you are a PM on a K fare.

DTW-SFO/LAX is a regular F route, and you should be able to secure an upgrade in advance in most cases. For instance, I checked on 9/30, a Friday two and a half weeks out. 3 of 4 DTW-SFO flights have G inventory available, and 5 of 6 DTW-LAX flights do.

jamesteroh Sep 12, 2011 10:30 am

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 17095821)
JFK-LAX/SFO there is never inventory in advance, as they are the BE routes. But it will often get you high enough up on the list that you will get it at the gate, and will probably make a difference if you are a PM on a K fare.

DTW-SFO/LAX is a regular F route, and you should be able to secure an upgrade in advance in most cases. For instance, I checked on 9/30, a Friday two and a half weeks out. 3 of 4 DTW-SFO flights have G inventory available, and 5 of 6 DTW-LAX flights do.

That's good to know, I may just do the SWU's instead since I do Friday DTW/SFO or LAX trips at least four times a year. I didn't want to pay for a K fare and risk not getting upgraded if a LUT fare was available.

For gate upgrades does a PM with SWU trump a diamond trying for a complimetnary upgrade?

javabytes Sep 12, 2011 10:54 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 17095866)
That's good to know, I may just do the SWU's instead since I do Friday DTW/SFO or LAX trips at least four times a year. I didn't want to pay for a K fare and risk not getting upgraded if a LUT fare was available.

For gate upgrades does a PM with SWU trump a diamond trying for a complimetnary upgrade?

Yes - Provided they apply it properly to your reservation. Once you are checked in, call in and ask what your upgrade priority code is. If they say UP2B, it has been applied correctly. If they say UP3, it has not been applied correctly. Ask them to un-check you in and fix the problem.