Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Comfort on 747-400

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2011, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by N522US
First 744 is in for its mods over in Asia right now.

Also, good news for those who like the whales, DL has changed it's fleet plan and will now keep all 16 744's. Original plan was to return (2) leased 744's in 2011 and 2012 and drop fleet to 14.
Very good news.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hertz Gold PC
Originally Posted by davetravels
I also booked JFK/NRT on the 744. I see that row 21 is gone, I guess, to make room for EC. I chose row 35 exit, but does anyone know if row 22 has anything similar to the amazing amount of legroom that 16/17 have on the B763?

I'm not flying til April, but, I'd like to make an informed decision! Inquiring minds want to know!
My new favorite in 744 is 22K (window), just flown NRT-JFK a week ago.

More or less enough leg room.
- not as much as exit row (35), but
+ almost enough for me (6"),
++ enough to get out from window seat (22K) and don't disturb other sleeping PAX (in 22I/J).
++ not enough for somebody to warm up / stay there (I believe it's a BIG + comparing with exit row!).

Also, the 22I/J/K is better than left (A/B/C) side because right aisle is usually blocked for PAX between Y and BE salons infront of row 22 and lavs are kept for BE passengers only, so no line and minimal traffic.
The only distraction is a light from the galley, but it's aside, not in front.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by NYC101
Booked JFK-NRT 747 Biz next March, will they have flat-bed installed by then?
Delta expects completion to be by Summer 2012, First 744 in the shop now.

So I would guess maybe 30-60% done by March?

Originally Posted by N522US
First 744 is in for its mods over in Asia right now.

Also, good news for those who like the whales, DL has changed it's fleet plan and will now keep all 16 744's. Original plan was to return (2) leased 744's in 2011 and 2012 and drop fleet to 14.
It would make sense that they keep it.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 8:21 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by inno.SAN-ICN
My new favorite in 744 is 22K (window), just flown NRT-JFK a week ago.
I just changed to 22H. I still prefer the aisle. I'm sure it'll be fine!

About the lavs . . . . I'm not worried - - Isn't it yet another unpublished DM perk that DM's can use the BE lav?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
Based on the comments here I'm going for 22K. I really prefer a window and if you can sneak by the other two PAX and get out, that's even better. Seems similar to 31J on the 777 but maybe less legroom.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton, HI
Originally Posted by iamhereandthere
Based on the comments here I'm going for 22K. I really prefer a window and if you can sneak by the other two PAX and get out, that's even better. Seems similar to 31J on the 777 but maybe less legroom.
Yes, there is enough room on 22K to get out. 22H has too many distractions with the galley light/noise/traffic plus lav traffic when the FA does not close the toilet to BE.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
I see this question before, but no reply!
Opinion about the seat EC 21B/J on the 747-400.
I Know is a middle seat, but not many EC is left in this section, for my next trip.
Normaly I use other flight plan (I always avoid the 747-400 because no AVOD).
But this time I have not many choice.
What you think about this seat ???
Legroom ?
I also try to find picture/video, but find nothing! (I find one on youtube but we did see anything about this seat legroom!).
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
I see this question before, but no reply!
Opinion about the seat EC 21B/J on the 747-400.
I Know is a middle seat, but not many EC is left in this section, for my next trip.
Normaly I use other flight plan (I always avoid the 747-400 because no AVOD).
But this time I have not many choice.
What you think about this seat ???
Legroom ?
I also try to find picture/video, but find nothing! (I find one on youtube but we did see anything about this seat legroom!).
Are you asking about row 22? I don't see a row 21. Was there a row 21 before EC was added? AFAIK row 22 is the first row in coach on the 744 and the 74S.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Yes, Row 22 (not 21), My mistake.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 4:44 pm

Is EC Worth It?

Hello Travelers,

This is my first post; please be gentle. Apologies if this isn't an appropriate place to post and feel free to suggest the better avenue.

I am flying LAX to NRT on a leg of my trip to SIN, and have what appears to be a good economy seat (is there such a thing?) on a 747-400. It's 36A, which is the last emergency exit row (so it reclines) window (prefer to aisle), without a seat in front of it. SeatGuru rates it a good seat.

In your opinion, would an EC still be a better option? There are some "good" rated seats still available there, as well. This is my first flight over 8 hours so any advice appreciated.

Thanks, and safe travels!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Originally Posted by amkaylor:18461241
Hello Travelers,

This is my first post; please be gentle. Apologies if this isn't an appropriate place to post and feel free to suggest the better avenue.

I am flying LAX to NRT on a leg of my trip to SIN, and have what appears to be a good economy seat (is there such a thing?) on a 747-400. It's 36A, which is the last emergency exit row (so it reclines) window (prefer to aisle), without a seat in front of it. SeatGuru rates it a good seat.

In your opinion, would an EC still be a better option? There are some "good" rated seats still available there, as well. This is my first flight over 8 hours so any advice appreciated.

Go for 35b or j, as 36 doesn't have much room. Those are the best non ec seats, actually comparable to ec (just not as much recline, unlimited legroom though.)
36a doesn't have a seat in front, but you can't get out as there's not enough room, you'd need to climb over 2 people.
If you want the window so you can rest your head on it, though, then 35 isn't good for you as there's some room between the seat and window.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 5:45 pm

Thank you! That was exactly the sort of insight I was hoping for!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL DM
Those exit rows can get freezing cold as well. I would go for EC.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by NYC101
Booked JFK-NRT 747 Biz next March, will they have flat-bed installed by then?
yes. By October 2012 all 747's will have flat beds.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:42 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by amkaylor
Hello Travelers,

Also another few things to keep in mind with exit row seats and bulkhead seats. The arm rests do not raise up and are fixed with the tray tables in them and are a little bit narrower than the non exit row seats. If your a little wider than average or you want a chance to lay down across the row to catch some sleep if the seats next to you are unoccupied, then you cannot do that in an exit row seat, nor bulkhead for that matter.

My advice would be to go with the EC seat, right behind an exit row, but, its up to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.