Stopover & Openjaw Award Question

Old Aug 22, 11, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Stopover & Openjaw Award Question

Is DTW-NRT-STOPOVER-HKG-PVG-OPENJAW-PEK-DTW a valid routing on DL award?
Old Aug 22, 11, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
For revenue tickets, it looks like MPM DTW-PVG is 8547. DTW-NRT-HKG-PVG is 9018.
Old Aug 22, 11, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Oops. The routing should be DTW-NRT-STOPOVER-HKG-DESTINATION-PVG-OPENJAW-PEK-DTW
Old Aug 23, 11, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
That's within the MPM, assuming they'll let you take that embedded surface sector.
Old Aug 23, 11, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

That's my concern. I have been reading conflicting information on DL's open jaw & stopover rule on award tickets. Some say it's 2 stopovers, some say it's 1 stopover and 1 open jaw but open jaw has to be the destination, some say 1 stopover and 1 open jaw regardless if open jaw is destination or not as long as it's under MPM.
Originally Posted by mtkeller View Post
That's within the MPM, assuming they'll let you take that embedded surface sector.
Old Aug 23, 11, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by netfishpanda View Post
I have been reading conflicting information on DL's open jaw & stopover rule on award tickets. Some say it's 2 stopovers...
Maybe I have missed it, but I don't recall seeing two stopovers permitted for award itins on delta.com. Can you point us to it?
Old Aug 23, 11, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Per The Points Guy blog at http://thepointsguy.com/2011/02/how-...kymiles-award/

Stopovers/ Open Jaw:
Delta is actually flexible with awards and allows two stopovers or a stopover and an open jaw. For example if you were going to take a European cruise that left from Athens and returned to Istanbul and you also wanted to see Paris, you could book ATL-ATH (Destination), IST-CDG (stopover), CDG-ATL (return) all for the price of a roundtrip ticket pending award availability of course.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Maybe I have missed it, but I don't recall seeing two stopovers permitted for award itins on delta.com. Can you point us to it?
Old Aug 24, 11, 3:52 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
I'm wondering about this myself. I have an award itin from EU to HNL with a stopover in BOS. When I tried to return from OGG it went bezerk and quoted ridiculous mileage amounts. The return from HNL worked fine though. I am assuming that the issue was the fact that I was trying to work an open jaw in an int'l itin that already included a stopover.
Old Aug 24, 11, 8:11 am
Original Poster

I have had no problem with an open jaw at the destination in addition to stopover enroute. I have a CLE-JFK-CDG-VIE, OPEN JAW, KBP-CDG-MAD-STOPOVER-JFK-CLE booked for 100K.

What I am not sure about is open jaw enroute in addition to stopover enroute. I am also not sure about double stopovers.

Originally Posted by florin View Post
I'm wondering about this myself. I have an award itin from EU to HNL with a stopover in BOS. When I tried to return from OGG it went bezerk and quoted ridiculous mileage amounts. The return from HNL worked fine though. I am assuming that the issue was the fact that I was trying to work an open jaw in an int'l itin that already included a stopover.
Old Aug 24, 11, 9:28 am

Oops. The routing should be DTW-NRT-STOPOVER-HKG-DESTINATION-PVG-OPENJAW-PEK-DTW

For DL award routing, you can do one stopover or openjaw, not both.

Your routing is not allowed

Here are the official rules

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ules/index.jsp

Note that:

Open Jaw

Open-jaw travel is permitted and counts as a stopover. Restrictions apply. For details, please contact a Delta representative.

Stopovers

One stopover is allowed per Award. Round-the-World Awards allow a maximum of three stopovers per continent, not to exceed 6.

Last edited by jing_canada; Aug 24, 11 at 9:35 am
Old Aug 24, 11, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 2P, DL, FL A+ Elite, AA
Originally Posted by jing_canada View Post
... on a domestic flight.

International flights are allowed one stopover AND an openjaw, or two stopovers, as TPG says. I can't find the rules on this, but it's well-known. See this thread for zillions of examples.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-here-155.html
Old Aug 24, 11, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hyatt EXP, UA Silver
You are allowed an open-jaw and a stop-over. However, I'm a little confused about the placement of your open-jaw. You are stopping in NRT and continuing on to your final destination. Then you are leaving from HKG or PVG? Are you stopping in PEK too? You can't stop in PVG and PEK. It's one or the other.

Basically with both an open-jaw and stopover, you can see 3 cities. Open jaw has to be at the destination (or origin), not enroute.
Old Aug 24, 11, 10:45 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by jing_canada View Post
Originally Posted by sheremetyevo View Post
... on a domestic flight.
I suggest you both come to the Chicago Seminars (netfishpanda too!) and sit in on the maximizing Delta miles seminar.
Old Aug 24, 11, 11:42 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by SP03 View Post
You are allowed an open-jaw and a stop-over. However, I'm a little confused about the placement of your open-jaw. You are stopping in NRT and continuing on to your final destination. Then you are leaving from HKG or PVG? Are you stopping in PEK too? You can't stop in PVG and PEK. It's one or the other.

Basically with both an open-jaw and stopover, you can see 3 cities. Open jaw has to be at the destination (or origin), not enroute.
DL has been known to allow embedded surface sectors. Not sure if they count as OJs or what. thepointsguy has an example he booked where he did something like JFK-MAD(surface sector to BCN), BCN-CDG-MRU(destination)-CDG-JFK. You can't say that's a genuine open jaw.
Old Sep 19, 11, 10:52 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I have had no problem with an open jaw at the destination in addition to stopover enroute. I have a CLE-JFK-CDG-VIE, OPEN JAW, KBP-CDG-MAD-STOPOVER-JFK-CLE booked for 100K.

What I am not sure about is open jaw enroute in addition to stopover enroute. I am also not sure about double stopovers.
so your return looks like it is more than the MPM from KBP-CLE... right?

i am trying to do DEN-CVG-IAD stopover IAD-ATL-SXM openjaw SXM-ATL-DEN and it is quoting me DEN-IAD as one ticket and the SXM routing as another.

any suggestions?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: