Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Amex Removes Miles Boost for DL Gold Amex

Amex Removes Miles Boost for DL Gold Amex

Old Aug 13, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
May be pay with miles is being removed for good in favour of PerkChoice, that DL has been claiming will be brought back for ages?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:35 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by iamhereandthere
Originally Posted by shakenjason
I've already hit my max amount of miles boosts this year. I assume AMEX issues prorated refunds of the annual fee??
I think only within 30 days of renewal. At least with the real Plat Amex that's how it works.
They offer prorated refunds on any card, including the Plat.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 5:16 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Could this mean that AMEX is finally running low on SkyMiles RDMs?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Plat
I too will be interested to find out what changes are coming to the DL Plat Amex. Jumping in this thread here to stay informed...
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Seems like they want the Gold AmEx to be the card of kettles and other infrequent flyers (with the benefits such as free checked bags, Zone 2 boarding, etc. - all things elites don't care about but kettles would) and want the elites to pony up some more money for the Plat or Reserve.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by RealHJ
May be pay with miles is being removed for good in favour of PerkChoice, that DL has been claiming will be brought back for ages?
that is one thing i miss from NW. the ability to use half miles and half cash and earn miles on the cash portion. would LOVE to see that return.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
Originally Posted by mersk862
Seems like they want the Gold AmEx to be the card of kettles and other infrequent flyers (with the benefits such as free checked bags, Zone 2 boarding, etc. - all things elites don't care about but kettles would) and want the elites to pony up some more money for the Plat or Reserve.
So turn the Gold into the equivalent of the new United Explorer Card? That would make sense (i.e., I could seem them wanting an entry-level card that gives few benefits).
Old Aug 14, 2011, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
If you think about it, how many of cardholders are getting that card through airport kiosk, etc just for the free bags. They don't even know what MQM's are, so why have that liability? I get it, no problem with it #donthaveagoldanyway
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:44 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
Thanks for the OP and others for pointing this out. I had almost convinced myself to convert one of my Amex cards to the DL Gold Amex but will happily keep my current card.

DL keeps reinforcing Skymiles as my "when I can't credit the points anywhere else" program.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Smaug
I'll be changing in January (or sooner) as well. All the other card benefits (except for the companion ticket), I get as a Medallion. Free bag - check. Priority boarding - check. Never use pay with miles since they don't earn MQMs or can get upgrades.

I charge roughly 15k-20k/year so I would never hit the MQM threshold for the Plat.

Not sure which card to choose. If the thresholds were lowered for the Plat, it would be a no-brainer. Otherwise, I could even consider the Reserve or the regular AmEx Plat if I felt there was enough value to justify paying the $450 annual fee.
If you are an elite on DL, I don't think the gold card makes much sense, seeing you already have the checked bags and zone 1 or 2 boarding anyway and there are other reward cards out there that give better compensation than 1 skymile/$.

I see you are a hilton gold. I consider a hilton point worth at least as much as a skypeso and with the hilton am ex you get 3 pts/$ charged. After I get my mileage spending in for the MQMs, all my non-delta am ex spending goes on the Hilton Am Ex since I realize better rewards from it.

Delta also has a Optima Am Ex card that my friend downgraded to a few years ago but it only gives 1/2 skymiles per $ charged but there is no annual fee.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Just called and they Said changes to Gold card are:
No miles boost
Pay with miles option will be gone as well
Will still get companion ticket

No changes to Reserve.
WOuldn't make sense for them to remove the mileage boost from the Platnium and Reserve. If they did, there would be no added benefit on paying the additional yearly fee on the Platniumc arde and if they removed it from the resereve, those cardholders may as well just move to the regular Am Ex plantium card.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by zman
Will use my Costco AMEX card instead.
Good choice, IMHO. That's what I use as well. Costco is another company pretty heavily in bed with Amex, but they seem to be managing it OK.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Good choice, IMHO. That's what I use as well. Costco is another company pretty heavily in bed with Amex, but they seem to be managing it OK.
Yes, Costco, Amex, Hilton and SPG are all heavily in bed with Amex. At least the other companies though accept cards other than Am Ex.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Yes, Costco, Amex, Hilton and SPG are all heavily in bed with Amex. At least the other companies though accept cards other than Am Ex.
Shhh. Don't give DL any ideas here. I can just see them deciding to only accept AmEx or charging a $10 fee per passenger each way to pay with anything other than AmEx, taking a page out of FR's playbook.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Shhh. Don't give DL any ideas here. I can just see them deciding to only accept AmEx or charging a $10 fee per passenger each way to pay with anything other than AmEx, taking a page out of FR's playbook.
The $fee would be a violation of their merchant agreements with Visa/MC, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.