Sky Priority/Security Lanes

Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA, DL, B6, WN
Originally Posted by dcline414
Don't they scan your BP when the line splits into pre/SP/kettle or is that just in ATL? I've accidentally shown my 2nd BP at the TSA check and it gave a shrill alarm/beep.

At least in ATL this wouldn't be possible since they first scan your BP for Pre-check, and if you aren't selected they then look at the front of your BP and direct you to the appropriate line. Your first BP dictates if you can go through SP.
Hmm. Maybe I should clarify - I'll be flying out of ORD. At PIT, my home airport, FOs can use the SP security lane regardless of whether they've been upgraded or not; it's not clear to me whether the ORD SP lane is SP-only or if Silvers can also use it.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by yankervitch
Hmm. Maybe I should clarify - I'll be flying out of ORD. At PIT, my home airport, FOs can use the SP security lane regardless of whether they've been upgraded or not; it's not clear to me whether the ORD SP lane is SP-only or if Silvers can also use it.
At ORD it's suppose to be SP only but unfortunately a lot of times when I fly out of ORD they don'thave a person to patrol it at all and the line is as bad as the regular lines at times (when it is enforced though it is pretty fast to get through). It's my understanding they have precheck now and if they do they may enforce it better. If you fly out of MDW, FO's are allowed to use that even if they haven't been upgraded.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:32 pm

Don't they scan your BP when the line splits into pre/SP/kettle or is that just in ATL? I've accidentally shown my 2nd BP at the TSA check and it gave a shrill alarm/beep.

At least in ATL this wouldn't be possible since they first scan your BP for Pre-check, and if you aren't selected they then look at the front of your BP and direct you to the appropriate line. Your first BP dictates if you can go through SP.
In FLL there is a split b/w regular security line and SP line. The person manning the line is only performing a visual.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:49 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
In FLL there is a split b/w regular security line and SP line. The person manning the line is only performing a visual.
Wow... well then that's easy to scam with a mobile BP since they don't show the date, just a SP banner and the 2D barcode.

Can't imagine they will go much longer without scanners at major cities. I actually think the system in ATL has made things much better, and it prevents anyone who doesn't belong from getting in the lane.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Wow... well then that's easy to scam with a mobile BP since they don't show the date, just a SP banner and the 2D barcode.

Can't imagine they will go much longer without scanners at major cities. I actually think the system in ATL has made things much better, and it prevents anyone who doesn't belong from getting in the lane.
I was in two airports recently where the BP checker was onto that scam I think and they demanded to see the entire BP. I always just snap a pic on it on my iphone so I don't have to wait for the APP to load and they wanted to see the flight date on it. I know one time was at LAS and can't remember where the other airport was. While it's a pain pulling it up in the regular app or finding the paper BP if I also printed it out I am glad to see they are enforcing it, especially in cities like LAS where the lines can be really long at peak times. I wish SFO would start enforcing it.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 3:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Of my three "home" airports:

RDU: Has it

GSO: Does not have it

FAY: Does not have it
Old Aug 20, 2012, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Was in ATL, and couldn't find the priority line. 30 people in front of me. Does SP security line only apply during peak hours? Am I blind???

I was in the terminal south area, adjacent to terminal T.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
In ATL domestic it's a completely separate area that dumps you into T.

International on the far right.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
In ATL domestic it's a completely separate area that dumps you into T.

International on the far right.
Where in ATL domestic is it then? After getting off the train from car rental, go where?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Where in ATL domestic is it then? After getting off the train from car rental, go where?
From the car rental train, follow the signs to South Terminal ticketing/check-in, and walk ALL the way down the hallway. You'll pass baggage claim on your right, atrium on your left, and DL ticketing on your right. Do not turn left to go to the security lines through the atrium (where all the signs will point you), just keep walking straight and you'll hit the south security checkpoint where SP and PreCheck are.

It's the arrow at the top right of this map: http://www.atlanta-airport.com/docs/terminal/mt.pdf

If in doubt, any of the DL agents in that area and (I'd hope) most airport personnel can point the way if you ask for the south security checkpoint.

FWIW, that checkpoint does close at some point. My return flights often arrive after 10pm or 11pm, and when I come out that way the entire checkpoint is shut down.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:05 pm

thanks...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BeachBum770
BOS is one of my semi-regular airports as well, and they have one. Of course, the TSA at BOS is so screwed up, you can't tell if there is an advantage or not!
Updating this for posterity: The SkyPriority lane at BOS Terminal A shares space with the PreCheck lane. The PreCheck lane has exclusive use of the walk-through metal detector, so consequently, the SkyPriority lane is slooooow because all of the pax are required to use the backscatter scanner. The few times I have been able to use the SP lane (when I get window upgrades), I have gotten the impression that I would be better off picking a regular lane with a metal detector available.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:59 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by stlBased
Agreed that when it's backed up on the 'normal' lines to the left, the First Class / Employees line is a big lifesaver. It's helped me have more breathing room to catch a flight more than once, especially on an early morning departure Mon or Tues.
However - the bottom line is that A concourse security in STL is a total crapshoot. The biggest determinant to how long it takes is what time of day and whether they have more than 2 lanes open...and it's not a linear relationship - there are times when it should be slow and they've backed down the staffing so that the lines end up being long - at other times you might expect it to be busy (morning bank of flights) and they've got 4 lanes open so it's pretty efficient.
You may also have the misfortune of being in the First Class / employee line as a gaggle of flight crew come through (always seem to come in bunches) - I've witnessed, no joke, 4 separate crews come through in rapid succession. 15 people jumped to the head of the line (I really don't have any problem with this, just really slowed up that FC line that day) and made FC security much slower than regular.
The other thing is that in my experience, it's not a true SkyPriority or Elite line. It's labeled (not too conspicuously) as First Class / Employees only. When I'm upgraded to F I use it. When I'm not, I generally hit the main line.
I used to fly to STL all the time. The TSA is absolutely the worst of any airport I've flown to. I have complained numerous times about the First Class line all being forced through the nude-o-scopes while the kettle line all go through the metal detectors. It just falls on deaf ears there. 3 Fridays in a row I complained to a supervisor, who half heartedly admonished the TSA crew that it was supposed to be random. It never changed. Not only do I never want to fly there ever again, I don't even want to work there ever again.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, HHonors Gold, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
OKC: no
BIL: no
BZN: prior to the new terminal, no. I doubt there's a line in the new terminal, but I'll find out for sure next week.
STL: yes
HNL: yes, in the form of a gold lane (ask the TA for a stamp on your BP)
NRT: no

Those are some of the airports I frequent.
Definitely no need for an elite line at NRT because the lines are faster than the priority lines in the states.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, HHonors Gold, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
By the way, for all of you that keep naming small rural airports, the reason why there is no elite line of any sort is because the airline doesn't see the benefit in paying the fee for it. The airline establishes agreements with the airport for elite services, not the airport itself. Consequently, elite lines will continue to exist only at the larger airports where the airline sees the benefit of paying the fees for extra or exclusive screening lanes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.