Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updated: Award Redeposit and Reissue Rule Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What Do You Think About the Policy Change for Award Re-Deposits and Re-Issues?
I am in favor of it.
13.39%
I am opposed to it and intend to be loyal to a different airline frequent flier loyalty program.
49.82%
I am opposed to it but will remain loyal to the Delta SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program.
23.88%
I am not affected by it, am neutral about it, do not know, have no opinion or do not care.
12.91%
Voters: 829. You may not vote on this poll

Updated: Award Redeposit and Reissue Rule Change

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL/UA/AA/BA
has anyone posted on the NY Times or Wall Street Journal's blogs or Facebook pages?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
spirit's award change policy:

Changes to Award Tickets
Customers may modify or cancel a portion of their award reservation for a $110 fee per customer, in addition to any additional mileage required for your new itinerary.
If you need to make a change to an award reservation, you may modify or cancel your flight up until the departure time of your flight. These changes include, but are not limited to, changing the origin, destination, stopover city, flight or class of service.
If you need to cancel an award reservation, you must cancel prior to the departure of the first flight on your itinerary. Once travel has started on an award reservation, the award is considered used and may not be canceled. Mileage used for the award reservation will be returned to your account once a valid award cancellation is processed.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by tigerstraveler99
Michelle,

Can you please step away from the kool aid stand for a minute and read your response on the change question? It makes no logical sense. If I am scheduled to fly MCO-MSP-DTW on a 40k award and 2 days out MCO-DTW direct comes open for the same 40k miles, why not allow the change. You now have freed up an additional seat that could be sold. You are still getting my 40k miles and you actually turning a better profit off my miles on your P&L.

So my guess if you put down the kool aid your response to this question would have been:
We can't allow changes within 72 hours on awards tickets, because this is the only time that 25k awards are available. As valued customers, you have learned how to game the system and change your booking to the 25k award booking so we are losing revenue off award flights. We would have Revenue Mgmt close out the 25k awards within 72 hours but then we couldn't market that Delta offers 25k mile awards. Since American Express owns us and they want the 25k awards marketing verbiage, you will just have to live with this new rule. My only hope is that you have a lot of aunts, uncles, and cousin that will die so you can use them as excuse.
^ You have really read Dullta's mind here well! Well said, that is exactly what DL means here, I am sure.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rasmcasm
has anyone posted on the NY Times or Wall Street Journal's blogs or Facebook pages?
I'm working this up through the parent travel agency for my company, who does 1B in air revenue a year - and who just signed a closer-working arrangement with DL. It will be escalated to the sales person working our account....I was apparently the first person to spot it (thank you Flyertalk) and it's going to get escalated.

It will definitely impact my business - no way is anyone going to book a YBM fare voluntarily and use miles if there is even a slight chance their plans change at the last minute, which is something that affects most of my clients.

They'll either book lower fares and do the change fee, or if they want to upgrade or sit upfront, they'll go to UA or AA...or a foreign ST carrier they can redeem upgrades on.

This is nothing but a ridiculous policy aimed at stripping the SM outstanding balance from Delta's books, which sits as a liability and a large one given the number of miles they hand out through various channels.

The award ticket change doesn't impact the TA business, but this upgrade award change is a big problem for us.

This sort of policy smacks of Mullin and Vicki Escarra - did they sneak back in when we weren't looking?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: United 1k (finally!), Hyatt Diamond
I'm so happy I managed to liquidate my SkyMiles account down to 5000 miles with all the 'enhancements' Delta has made recently. If for some reason I get stuck on it again, I'll credit to AS.

DL has a good product, great route network, and good staff.

It has horrible management, one of the worst NA frequent flier programs, an insane upgrade policy (YBM, really?), useless PMUs, and award availability. I thought the announcement with policy changes coming to FT (i.e., no refund on miles post travel date) that DL might start a new leaf, but its been proven this is wrong.

I really hope that you enjoy pissing off your FFs, as I already took my 7-10k of travel a year to UA, and while I'm a small fry as far as these things go, a LOT of other people look like they'll be jumping ship.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
http://travel.usatoday.com/alliance/...rture/414428/1
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by Michelle_DeltaSkyMiles
This policy change was not an easy decision but it was the right one.
So that big national ad campaign with Donald Southerland was just fluff? Instead of paying someone to produce a new ad, you could have re-used his old material that would have, in essence, meant the same thing:

The decision was not the right one, and I think that deep down you know it. Many of the DL employees I know agree with most everyone's sentiments here. What is the ulterior motive of this move?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mnredfox
DL holds low's until that 72 hour window. If you don't believe me how prevalent that is, just ask mooper. If DL allowed changes to low within the 72 hour window, that is a different story. But that clearly isn't happening.
I'm certain that Delta's last-minute availability is quite good compared to, say four months in advance. I'm not so sure that a lot of availability is released at 72 hours specifically. I'm not suggesting it isn't, but I haven't seen evidence that it is. If there's nothing solid to suggest this, then why would you presume that banning sub-72-hour changes would result in many lost opportunities to reduce required mileage to 25K? For the million+ DL miles I book annually (most being domestic), it seems that when low opens up last minute, it's usually in the month leading up to the travel, not the last three days in particular.

That aside, before concluding that there's a net loss here for people who change awards within 72 hours, you *must* first factor in how much you'll gain via the extra inventory available to book for the first time within 72 hours. For someone who has a pattern of booking a couple weeks in advance and then changing within 72 hours but rarely making an original award reservation (i.e., the first time, not a change to one) within that window, this would be seen as a loss. However, for someone like me who also makes last-minute award reservations within 72 hours - not *just* changes them - I'd first want to see how much better off I am in that respect before concluding this is a bad change for me.

Logic over emotion - no?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I am actively directing business travel at work away from Delta now.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Nice! ^^^^^

Plenty more of these coming. I don't think the folks at Delta Really know how bad this one is coming off.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:38 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by GrizShel
Whch didn't have to be so because you had inherited a smoothly functioning system from NW.
They did, but it didn't work with Deltamatic so it was dumped....
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Nice! ^^^^^

Plenty more of these coming. I don't think the folks at Delta Really know how bad this one is coming off.
SkyMilesInsider and his team had to have had notice iin advance to get in front of this. They didn't. They posted hours after this was implemented (DM desk says that it was effective 12:01 am EST yesterday)... if the res agents knew, why didn't SkyMilesInsider & company?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Glad that everyone took Michelle to task for the absolutely illogical statement about preventing changes within 72 hours ensuring award seats don't go out empty. I cannot fathom how DL thinks that they can spew such nonsense here on FT. Maybe on their blog, which they promote through social media and is overrun with kettles. Here on FT, we know the reality of things.

As the idiocy of this situation sinks in, I'm evaluating where I want to bank my remaining SkyTeam flights and whether to pursue *A or OW. Probably will depend on where I'm moving next summer, so I'm thinking that I'll continue crediting my AF and DL flights to DL. (The AF flights pretty much have to go to DL, since they don't earn with AS and earn minimally with FB. I could credit the DL fights to AS, but the odds of me winding up in AS territory aren't so good.) I guess I just have to hope I don't wind up in a market that's a true DL monopoly, as I'm fed up with this dishonesty and strange definition of loyalty.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:40 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by yohanson
I just want to go on record to say that I am vehemently opposed to this new policy.
+ 1

As a DM, MM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Dear Michelle,

I find your tone condescending and unprofessional. You must have been spending time with your ATL gate agents.

Posting this message was a difficult decision, but it was the right one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.