Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updated: Award Redeposit and Reissue Rule Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What Do You Think About the Policy Change for Award Re-Deposits and Re-Issues?
I am in favor of it.
13.39%
I am opposed to it and intend to be loyal to a different airline frequent flier loyalty program.
49.82%
I am opposed to it but will remain loyal to the Delta SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program.
23.88%
I am not affected by it, am neutral about it, do not know, have no opinion or do not care.
12.91%
Voters: 829. You may not vote on this poll

Updated: Award Redeposit and Reissue Rule Change

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:33 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Rumblings that DM/PM were blocking F seats have been building for months.
That is so bogus. With UG's on award tickets common now, I would suspect very few actually book F awards.

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
What would have made sense, to not .... your best customers over, was to allow changes... ONLY to the routing while keeping the Origin / Destination / Dates the same.

That would have helped alleviate the fraud y'all are suggesting is happening.

Last edited by Vuelos; Aug 9, 2011 at 8:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
You have incorrectly interpreted the rules, per the DM agent I spoke with.

It's no changes to a segment within 72 hours of departure. You can change the return, as long as you do so greater than 72 hours from departure.
That's not as bad news if that's what it turns out to be, but it is still definitely still a negative change.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Silver
This change is huge.

Every time Delta invents a nasty rule for skymiles, they say it is good for their customers -- whereas it is clear to me that they want to try everything possible to limit their members from using skymiles.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:36 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by runfit
I...know of at least two instances coming up where I booked award travel BECAUSE I won't know until the day before if I am going to be able to make the trip. I didn't want to purchase a last minute ticket, but I already found low availability I don't want to lose. Bad move, Delta.
At least you are honest - this is exactly the type of behavior that DL is trying to curb. When I book award tickets, I use them. I don't "hedge my bets" like you (and probably thousands of others) do.

Now I better understand their reasoning when people do en masse like you do. But there must be a better way - allow changes but not redeposits. Or something.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by avidflyer
So how could anyone (except DL) think this is a good change?
I understand why it was done... Someone just needs to advocate for the customers who travel internationally a lot. For example going FL --> Europe 1 month ago..

AF seats opened at 4, 3 and 1 days... under the new policy I'd be screwed for teh opening within 1 day... but fine with 3 & 4 days.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM
Delta flies about 4000 flights a day or 1.5 million flights a year. They claim that 1,000,000 award seats are going out empty do to last minute changes!

They are claiming that 2 out of every 3 flights are being abused like this!

I for one find this hard to believe. I think their statistics are messed up...but then they did get the data from their IT department who is responsible for the unusable award booking system...do I see a pattern?

-=tg=-
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by fti
That is so bogus. With UG's on award tickets common now, I would suspect very few actually book F awards.
You miss the point. It's not those legitimately booking F awards. It's those booking F awards for themselves/others when they are hoping for the upgrade @:-)

Originally Posted by GrizShel
That's not as bad news if that's what it turns out to be, but it is still definitely still a negative change.
Agreed on both parts... DM desk clarified my questions and read the policy and that's how it's written.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by fti
Now I better understand their reasoning when people do en masse like you do. But there must be a better way - allow changes but not redeposits. Or something.
Ruh roh we're in agreement. It just got cold down here...
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:40 am

This change has a dramatic negative influence on many of Delta's loyal customers. It is a change that isn't taken lightly. While I understand how award seats went unused, I was in favor of the cancel before departure in order to get a refund. 3 days out is a long time and this is just another negative impact created to devalue the Skymiles Medallion Program as well as Skymiles in general.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I understand why it was done... Someone just needs to advocate for the customers who travel internationally a lot. For example going FL --> Europe 1 month ago..

AF seats opened at 4, 3 and 1 days... under the new policy I'd be screwed for teh opening within 1 day... but fine with 3 & 4 days.
Vuelos you have a pretty good angle on this stuff so can you try to explain to me why a few posters have said "Way to go Delta". I do not see how this is good for anybody..but I am probably missing some nuance...
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:41 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You miss the point. It's not those legitimately booking F awards. It's those booking F awards for themselves/others when they are hoping for the upgrade
Got it. Sorry I misunderstood.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by tgtg
Delta flies about 4000 flights a day or 1.5 million flights a year. They claim that 1,000,000 award seats are going out empty do to last minute changes!

They are claiming that 2 out of every 3 flights are being abused like this!

I for one find this hard to believe. I think their statistics are messed up...but then they did get the data from their IT department who is responsible for the unusable award booking system...do I see a pattern?

-=tg=-
nah, corp comm just didn't write clearly... read the sentence by itself:

Originally Posted by Michelle_DeltaSkyMiles
During that review we determined that there are more than 1,000,000 award seats that were going unused at the 72 hour mark prior to departure.
Essentially instead of looking at the cancel/no show rate, they were simply looking at unused award seats.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
You miss the point. It's not those legitimately booking F awards. It's those booking F awards for themselves/others when they are hoping for the upgrade @:-)

Ok thanks, now at least I get the problem though I am never a part of the problem but will now pay the price in the form of many more miles...
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by fti
At least you are honest - this is exactly the type of behavior that DL is trying to curb. When I book award tickets, I use them. I don't "hedge my bets" like you (and probably thousands of others) do.

I should have been more clear - what I meant I did was to reserve the higher ticket (because that was all that was available) and kept checking for the lower availability to come clear. When it did, I would cancel my other reservation after ticketing the new, lower option (which this new Delta change is supposed to make more of). Doing that has no bearing whatsoever on Delta's proposed change since they say the reason is to make more of the low availability - I only cancel the higher to book the lower ones (and then I make the trip).
In the other scenario, tell me what you would do: My wife is due 4 days after a trip that I really need to make (but obviously would not trump being there for the birth of my baby). She has gone early the last times (enough so that it would give me enough clearance to go). Do you know what a last minute ticket to Israel costs? I have every intention of using my award ticket unless the baby is not born yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.