Question: How much charge of 1st bag?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2011, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Question: How much charge of 1st bag?

Hi All,

How much cost the 1st checked bag fee. I have to kept my small carryon bag into the aircraft. I have to get my niece's outfits into the purple bag. So actually, I can kept my small carryon bag & personal item, too. Should I have purchase 1st checked bag fee onto delta.com? I am planned next flight out PHX-ORD on Sept 16-18.

Last edited by N830MH; Aug 7, 2011 at 6:42 pm
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Delta.com yields many answers: https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...cked/index.jsp
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Sorry, I'd like to help, but I have a hard time understanding anything you write. Please try to clarify for us.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, AS
For travel within or between the United States and Canada, U.S. Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico:

First checked bag: $25 USD/CAD*
Second checked bag: $35 USD/CAD*
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nytraveller53
Sorry, I'd like to help, but I have a hard time understanding anything you write. Please try to clarify for us.
Sorry, I will try to write very clearly for me. I will try to have more extra careful out there. Thanks but, I didn't want to get into control myself.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Travlynn
For travel within or between the United States and Canada, U.S. Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico:

First checked bag: $25 USD/CAD*
Second checked bag: $35 USD/CAD*
What about online checked bag fee? How much cost is that?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by N830MH
As an FO, I would expect you get the first bag free. No?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:47 pm

There is no longer a discount when checking-in online. $25 for the first bag, $35 for the second, regardless of how you pay.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by akonradi
There is no longer a discount when checking-in online. $25 for the first bag, $35 for the second, regardless of how you pay.
Why DL is no longer online checked bag fee? I thought DL didn't have a discount of 1st checked bag fee before? DL should have a chance to bring it back again. Those customers who had it right to checked bag fee online.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:31 am

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
To be completely frank, I'm surprised you don't already know this, because you claim to be an FO.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Why DL is no longer online checked bag fee? I thought DL didn't have a discount of 1st checked bag fee before? DL should have a chance to bring it back again. Those customers who had it right to checked bag fee online.
They dropped the discount as part of the summer changes to bag fees.

I think discounting of checked bags when purchasing the ticket would be the way to go, but apparently the powers that be at DL don't agree.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
They dropped the discount as part of the summer changes to bag fees.

I think discounting of checked bags when purchasing the ticket would be the way to go, but apparently the powers that be at DL don't agree.
I half-agree with Delta - removing yet another layer of pricing promotes consistency, and ease for the typical traveler. Delta doesn't want their pricing to look like Spirit's, which is utterly rediculous - both in actual prices, and the volume of them. It's so much easier to say, "OK - one bag, $25, always".
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by nytraveller53
I half-agree with Delta - removing yet another layer of pricing promotes consistency, and ease for the typical traveler. Delta doesn't want their pricing to look like Spirit's, which is utterly rediculous - both in actual prices, and the volume of them. It's so much easier to say, "OK - one bag, $25, always".
The $2 discount online was stupid and confusing. A lot of LCCs (and charging for bags is an LCC thing, so it doesn't matter to me that DL is a legacy when it comes to this aspect) offer you one price (say AU$12 on DJ or £10-ish on U2) if you pay for your bag online at the time of booking. Otherwise, you pay when you drop the bag at the airport. For DJ, it's AU$40, and I think U2 is £25 or somewhere thereabouts. I don't think it creates confusion, and it helps people feel they're getting value by paying for it up front, since it's cheaper. (They also get to see what the fee is during booking, not think that they're going to be able to check for free and get slapped with a fee at the airport.)
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
The $2 discount online was stupid and confusing. A lot of LCCs (and charging for bags is an LCC thing, so it doesn't matter to me that DL is a legacy when it comes to this aspect) offer you one price (say AU$12 on DJ or £10-ish on U2) if you pay for your bag online at the time of booking. Otherwise, you pay when you drop the bag at the airport. For DJ, it's AU$40, and I think U2 is £25 or somewhere thereabouts. I don't think it creates confusion, and it helps people feel they're getting value by paying for it up front, since it's cheaper. (They also get to see what the fee is during booking, not think that they're going to be able to check for free and get slapped with a fee at the airport.)
I think that's the way to go (although we didn't have to pay at all a few years ago)- Delta, are you listening?!
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Wouldn't the OP, if Silver, get at least one free bag?

Or was I missing something on the Elite benefits page?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.