Search

Refundable mileage upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Refundable mileage upgrade

Hi everyone,

So if I wanna secure an upgrade for a domestic flight can I upgrade with miles and then cancel it and get my miles back at the Gold Medallion upgrade window if there still is Z availability (BE coded flight) ?

I just wanna make sure I get it, being a red eye, and would rather have it complimentary, but I can't risk it.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 4:44 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
As soon as you upgraded with miles you are removed from the upgrade list. Even if you could do what you are proposing, all other GMs would be upgraded before you for X even to be available. Depending on the route you are taking there probably would be no X available at that time since one of the big complaints here is that Silvers hardly ever get upgraded.

Stick with the mileage upgrade.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 4:45 pm

If you do a mileage upgrade, you will not be able to reverse it without a schedule change. They changed this a few years ago because lots of people were doing precisely what you want to do. You can't use miles to hold a spot in first/business that you don't intend to pay for.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:10 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Confused by a few things here. Complimentary medallion upgrades wouldn't come out of Z so the Z availability at Gold window has no effect, its X.(On domestic Business branded flights, First comes out of V.)

If it is a true BE domestic flight as you said it would have to be transcon(ie. JFK-SFO/LAX) There is no complimentary or mileage upgrade inventory released at any windows, if you were to clear either way it would be at the gate.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by mlad1101
Confused by a few things here. Complimentary medallion upgrades wouldn't come out of Z so the Z availability at Gold window has no effect, its X.(On domestic Business branded flights, First comes out of V.)

If it is a true BE domestic flight as you said it would have to be transcon(ie. JFK-SFO/LAX) There is no complimentary or mileage upgrade inventory released at any windows, if you were to clear either way it would be at the gate.
this

More details please OP and we can make suggestions.

However if you want to assure yourself of BE, best thing to do is upgrade.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:59 am
Original Poster

My bad, I meant to say X class not Z. It isn't a true BE domestic flight, its the SEA-JFK redeye, BE elite branded but more like domestic first class.

So I guess I should just upgrade with miles and not even risk it...even though it's only a Tuesday night on a 757-200 and FC right now looks pretty empty.

Thank you all for the suggestions
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Mileage upgrade no longer refundable within 72 hours of departure
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, SkyClub, CO, AA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
I fly that route quiet a bit. Just stick with the miles upgrade. It can be tough on that flight to get upgraded, or not. Depends. I've seen if fly almost empty, and just as full overnight.

Worth the miles either way. You're showing up at JFK at abouts 7 in the am right? Guarantee yourself some rest. Remember, it's still the domestic FC seats on there (though branded BE) The only true BE seats are the 757 with 4 rows. That leaves in the morning from SEA IIRC.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

You think it matters if it's Labor Day Weekend Saturday? Plus its 7.40 am...any chance it would actually be Elite heavy? I can see how the Tuesday night red-eye would be, but not the Saturday am. Either way I trust your judgement!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.