Best option to jnb

Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; SPG PLAT
Best option to jnb

Hey guys!

Planning a trip LAX-JNB in Nov.

As a PM which of the following non DL choices will be my best bet to JNB.

AF - connection in CDG 777/a380
KLM- connection in AMS 747/777

Thanks guys!
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Alaska Gold MVP, Expedia Elite Plus, Amex Reserve.
Is DL out the question for you ?

Well I would think AF would be the better choice, and a chance to do some whale watching ( flying )

I cant comment on KL since I have never flown the flying Dutchman
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
What about MH via KUL?
LAX-KUL-JNB

That would be my pick in terms of flight comfort and quality and the nicest connecting airport (KUL).
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, IHG Platinum, One Man Street Fair in my spare time
What RealHJ said. While I love Paris, CDG is a never an easy task for connections. AMS will always win for me in terms of ease when compared to CDG.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL DM/SC, SPG Plat, UA, AA, Hertz Gold
I would choose AMS option. It is a very easy connection - and I like the KL lounge.

As DLDELTA777 asked, is Delta out of the question for you? I personally would take DL16 on the 77L to ATL (Sunday, Monday, Thursday, Friday) and then catch ATL-JNB direct. The chance at the upgrade for the lie flats (LAX-ATL) would be too much for me to pass up.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

DL is about 200 more. If their flight drop in price I would def take DL.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

I would love to take MH. But no MQMs!!! :-(
Old Aug 4, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
OP, is this planned trip to be in Y? or in J? If J, DL wins hands down for the true flatbeds on the 772LR. If Y, look VERY carefully at the equipment assigned to the KL or AF flights you are considering. A number of the AF and KL 777's have ten (yes 10) across seating in Y.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Trip will be in Y. :-(. I also hear that AF doesn't necessarily recognize seat assignments.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DLLOVEHATE
Trip will be in Y. :-(. I also hear that AF doesn't necessarily recognize seat assignments.
I never had any issues with seat assignments with AF; but I did read that others did.
However, I do avoid at all cost te AF's 777s in Y due to the 10 accross! Their Airbus are nice though. AF used to fly the A380 to jnb, not sure if they still do. If they do, the upper deck is really nice (so quiet and comfy, with 2 seaters on the sides, and storage bin under the window).
Old Aug 4, 2011, 7:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I've not had seat assignment problems either on AF - quite the opposite, I scored an op up once PHL-CDG (before that route went to a DL 757).

I would either avoid CDG if possible or at the very least make sure the connection had plenty of time....p l e n t y of time...
Old Aug 4, 2011, 11:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
I've done both - took KL to JNB there and then the DL nonstop on the way back. I would go DL both ways next time.

Did KL from SEA to AMS on an A330. Had a 3.5 hr stop and then a second flight to JNB. Agree with earlier poster, watch the equipment on KL. The second plane to JNB was "stripped" with rough fabric seats, no personal air vents above your head (I swear to god), and 10 across seating in Y. Complete misery - my GF and I both got ill from being so overheated, cramped and jet lagged.

The DL flight back on the 777 was great. You could tell it was DL's flagship plane. Although the flight time is ~16.5 hrs I found it is actually less jarring to your body then a 9 hr to AMS, a few hrs stopover, and then a second 9 hr flight from AMS to JNB. Maybe if you had 12 hrs in AMS it would be ok - we had ~3.5.

The other nice thing about DL nonstop on the way over is that it arrives a decent hour (5 pm) unlike the AMS flights that arrive at 11:15 or so. The DL flight means you can catch a flight to your final dest the same day (I was disappointed with the 1.5 days I spent in JNB proper). One nice thing about KL from AMS is that you can got to CPT instead
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by DLLOVEHATE
The issue is that seat assignments made on DL.dumb don't necessarily make it through to the AF system. Always confirm your seating with the operating carrier, and you should be fine.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:34 am
Original Poster

i heard that KL now offers AVOD on all intl routes... this is what they advertise..Im hoping its true....
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

What do you guys think of a 50 min cxn at ams? Too close??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.