Wiki Posts
Search

worth compliaing about?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DM , MM ,Natl-Exec Elite,HH diamond,SPG gold
worth compliaing about?

Last week was on a flight to SFO that arrived mid morning as i had a meeting startnig a 1:30pm. My flight had mechanical issues and it looked like a 2:30 delay putting me in SFO at 1:30 or so. The SC rep told me good chance that flight would be cancelled so she looked to OAK and SJO. I don't know if the flight was ever cancelled, which I probably should have checked. In any event got into SJO but then had to get transportation which cost me 150.00. This came right out of my pocket, any chance DL will re-imburse me?? Or should I just chalk it up?? OK everyone can stop laughing now....., and please don't tell me i should have flown out the night before as that was not an option. Thanks
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
You should have flown the night before. (Seriously, though, only half-joking.)

Also, if they sent you to SJO, I'm surprised you only incurred $150 of transportation fees. SJC, on the other hand...

Needling aside, they will probably reimburse you because it was mechanical. Send in a note to Customer Care on delta.com.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DM , MM ,Natl-Exec Elite,HH diamond,SPG gold
you think it should have been more from Costa Rica to downtown SFO??
Duh, my bad you are right I meant SJC!

Originally Posted by javabytes
You should have flown the night before. (Seriously, though, only half-joking.)

Also, if they sent you to SJO, I'm surprised you only incurred $150 of transportation fees. SJC, on the other hand...

Needling aside, they will probably reimburse you because it was mechanical. Send in a note to Customer Care on delta.com.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
In hindsight, wouldn't have been a bad idea to ask the SC rep if DL would reimburse you for the rental. Just a thought for next time.

Buy hey, you had a canceled flt, the best DL could offer was a flt to another airport, you're a DM. I say go for it. Maybe won't get a 'reimbursement' but could very well get a voucher with a pile of miles.

As for flying out the night before, I well know it is not always possible. Desirable, yes -- and best when possible -- but alas, just doesn't always work out that way. Been there, done that too.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Maybe won't get a 'reimbursement' but could very well get a voucher with a pile of miles.
This. Even if they say they are unable to reimburse cash, they will often offer a "goodwill" gesture of miles or TCV. I've seen cases where they declined to reimburse $75 worth of actual incurred expenses and instead granted a $200 TCV as a goodwill gesture.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by szerfam
you think it should have been more from Costa Rica to downtown SFO??
Duh, my bad you are right I meant SJC!
Moreover, if they rerouted you like that, why didn't you just stay in SJO? To hell with the meeting...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
I think you have more leverage if the flight was cancelled. I would check that first, but in any case, for a mechanical issue, and since you are a DM, they will most likely either mail you a check for the amount or issue an electronic voucher.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:12 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Gold, Hilton, Hertz
Last week was on a flight to SFO that arrived mid morning as i had a meeting startnig a 1:30pm. My flight had mechanical issues and it looked like a 2:30 delay putting me in SFO at 1:30 or so. The SC rep told me good chance that flight would be cancelled so she looked to OAK and SJO. I don't know if the flight was ever cancelled, which I probably should have checked. In any event got into SJO but then had to get transportation which cost me 150.00. This came right out of my pocket, any chance DL will re-imburse me?? Or should I just chalk it up?? OK everyone can stop laughing now....., and please don't tell me i should have flown out the night before as that was not an option. Thanks
In my experience yes you can receive something from them, I would provide the details including the cancellation of the flight and receipts and handle it professionally without passion or anger, and I suspect you will receive some satisfaction.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
proactive possibility?

When I get diverted, if I'm renting a car, I phone the company and see if I can get a car at the new place. I do this within earshot of the Delta agent. When there isn't a car, I hang up and ask the agent, "Oh, shoot. So how about a taxi voucher?" I tried to solve the problem, but when I couldn't . . .

The agent notes the file, and when I get to the other city, I ask a GA. Sometimes I have to go to the counter, or even baggage claim.

When it's between two major airports, you'll probably get only a shuttle van. This tactic doesn't always work, but often enough to be useful. If not, ask for reimbursement later. Delta isn't Hilton: I don't try double-dipping.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Between SFO-SJC Delta will offer a shuttle van if you want to wait around. I had a recent flight with a similar issue, where my flight into SJC got canceled so I ended going to SFO. Took a taxi to SJC and ended up sending an email explaining what happened, my reroute, and asking for reimbursement for the taxi expenses. I specifically said in the email that I would accept a credit voucher if it was easier... they responsed and just asked to send a scan of the receipt and issued me a voucher for 200 instead of the 150 taxi, along with miles for the cancelation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.