Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta miles to book on Air France (Paris CDG/Madagascar TNR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

I'm a Newbie wanting use up some of my Delta miles as part of a RTW trip segment.

I would be flying from CDG to TNR my dates are flexible any time in Feb-April 2012.

Delta rewards lists Europe to Africa at 35,000 miles on economy but when I search the flight it comes up 85,000 miles plus $450 taxes. Suggestions? Is it possible to book this on Air France for 35,000 miles in economy?

Is it also possible to include more than one African destination on a reward ticket returning to Paris?

Thanks for your help and patience in helping in this matter.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Lt.Dan
I'm a Newbie wanting use up some of my Delta miles as part of a RTW trip segment.
This suggests you may want a one-way award. Delta prices one-ways as round-trips. Europe-Africa in coach will be 70K (2x35K each way). An open jaw is possible, as is a stopover. You may want to play with AF, KLM and Kenya Airways route maps before calling Delta to book.

With a CDG (anywhere in Europe, really) origination you will be asked to pay a fuel surcharge just a people burning Flying Blue miles would. There is no such surcharge if using Delta miles originating in the U.S. or Canada.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
With a CDG (anywhere in Europe, really) origination you will be asked to pay a fuel surcharge just a people burning Flying Blue miles would. There is no such surcharge if using Delta miles originating in the U.S. or Canada.
This is not universally true. No IOS on LHR-ICN-MEL//SYD-KUL-LHR. I'm not sure if the IOS applies to all AF/KL/DL flights originating in the EU, but it's not true for all EU originations.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

I am booking it as a return ticket but wasn't sure if I could add a stop over to the ticket without penalty and how long I could actually stop on a stop over (can you stay for a few weeks, or is it just a short time?).

But it sounds like I can book the Paris to Africa segment at 35,000 miles instead of the 85,000 I was being told on Delta rewards online, which makes me much happier.

I will look at AF, KLM and Kenya airways to see which would work best.

Thanks again
Old Jul 27, 2011, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mtkeller
This is not universally true. No IOS on LHR-ICN-MEL//SYD-KUL-LHR. I'm not sure if the IOS applies to all AF/KL/DL flights originating in the EU, but it's not true for all EU originations.
You didn't give an example of a Europe-Africa award without IOS. I'll stick by my contention as it relates to the OP's question although I haven't tested Alitalia or other non-AK/KL routings..

As for a stopover - as long as one likes, within the bounds of the standard 'complete travel within one year of ticketing' provision.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You didn't give an example of a Europe-Africa award without IOS. I'll stick by my contention as it relates to the OP's question although I haven't tested Alitalia or other non-AK/KL routings..
I thought about trying to find an example, but presently I'm focusing on sorting out what I'm doing in Australia with my IOS-free DL award. (If only I didn't have to pay the UK APD or MH's YQ , I'd be thrilled with the redemption.) It does seem really silly that DL won't publish a clear definition of when the IOS applies.

Originally Posted by Lt.Dan
I am booking it as a return ticket but wasn't sure if I could add a stop over to the ticket without penalty and how long I could actually stop on a stop over (can you stay for a few weeks, or is it just a short time?).

But it sounds like I can book the Paris to Africa segment at 35,000 miles instead of the 85,000 I was being told on Delta rewards online, which makes me much happier.

I will look at AF, KLM and Kenya airways to see which would work best.

Thanks again
The best way to search AF/KL/(and I think)KQ is on airfrance.us. Search for my username and airfrance.us to find posts explaining the general strategy. It will cost you 70K DL miles to go PAR-Africa or PAR-Africa and back in Y, so book the round trip! You can do a stopover and an open jaw on a DL award, so make the most of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.