Wiki Posts
Search

Irate Gate Agent at MSP

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
Irate Gate Agent at MSP

I had a tight connection at MSP today and ran as fast as I could from gate G14 to gate C9 to try to make my 5:05pm flight to SFO.

I got to gate C9 at 4:59pm but the gate was closed and no agent was at the gate. Another passenger arrived at the gate at the same time as I did and banged on the gate's door to try to attract attention (we could see the plane and the jetway was still attached). We then waited for about 5 minutes. At 5:05, a gate agent emerged from the jetway red-faced and upset and started yelling very loudly at the other passenger saying that it was illegal to knock on the door of the jetway and that he had called security and that she would likely be arrested.

The passenger immediately apologized and said she did not know it was illegal and that she was just trying to attract someone's attention. The gate agent continued to scream and rant at her in a scary and unpleasant manner for another 5 minutes. I stayed there because I was afraid for her. When I intervened (because she was looking scared and he was not calming down) and said there was no need to continue shouting, he turned his fury on me and said that he was going to be the gate agent at the next flight to SFO (the 7:30pm flight) and that he might well not let me on that flight (just for asking him to calm down). Obviously, since I was already delayed on my journey home, this threat was quite upsetting to me.

I understand that flights are often closed 10-15 minutes before departure time, so I was not optimistic about making the flight anyway but my question to my fellow flyer talkers out there is - is it really illegal to bang on a gate door after it has closed? First I've ever heard of it....
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by MrsBigFlyer
I had a tight connection at MSP today and ran as fast as I could from gate G14 to gate C9 to try to make my 5:05pm flight to SFO.

I got to gate C9 at 4:59pm but the gate was closed and no agent was at the gate. Another passenger arrived at the gate at the same time as I did and banged on the gate's door to try to attract attention (we could see the plane and the jetway was still attached). We then waited for about 5 minutes. At 5:05, a gate agent emerged from the jetway red-faced and upset and started yelling very loudly at the other passenger saying that it was illegal to knock on the door of the jetway and that he had called security and that she would likely be arrested.

The passenger immediately apologized and said she did not know it was illegal and that she was just trying to attract someone's attention. The gate agent continued to scream and rant at her in a scary and unpleasant manner for another 5 minutes. I stayed there because I was afraid for her. When I intervened (because she was looking scared and he was not calming down) and said there was no need to continue shouting, he turned his fury on me and said that he was going to be the gate agent at the next flight to SFO (the 7:30pm flight) and that he might well not let me on that flight (just for asking him to calm down). Obviously, since I was already delayed on my journey home, this threat was quite upsetting to me.

I understand that flights are often closed 10-15 minutes before departure time, so I was not optimistic about making the flight anyway but my question to my fellow flyer talkers out there is - is it really illegal to bang on a gate door after it has closed? First I've ever heard of it....
Banging? likely not. However, it is a "sterile" area and an attempt to get inside would be illegal. Just a hot head...they have em everywhere. Once the gate closes it takes a miracle to get them to open it up even with the plane at the jet way. People here do report on occasion that it happens but they are pretty strict about getting out on time and frankly that is a good thing.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Once that door closes you have essentially zero hope of getting on the plane. Knocking is essentially a futile effort. That said, there's no reason for the GA to blow a gasket like he did, especially to turn on you like that. Send an email... for his own safety too, before he pops a vein.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Did the airport police ever come? (The GA did call them, right? Or did I misread?)
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by AUDirt
Did the airport police ever come? (The GA did call them, right? Or did I misread?)
Always fun when that happens. Stand there looking calm and collected, with the GA flying off the handle... and say "I think he's having a bad day".
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

No airport police every came. A Delta supervisor did, however, and spoke quietly to the fuming gate agent and then left. The passenger who had "knocked" continued to wait quietly until the irate gate agent asked her why she was still there. She replied that she was waiting for security (as she had been told by him to do so). He then told her she could leave and he turned his back on her. She left at that point, as did I. We both returned to the gate for the subsequent flight a few hours later. He ignored us and we ignored him. Very bizarre all around!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:34 pm

Location: In the process of moving from Dubai back to Tokyo because I didn't like it there. Working in Melaka, Malaysia now.
Programs: No longer loyal to any airline.
Thumbs down

What a jerk.

He doesn't deserve to have that job.

Terrible representation of Delta Air Lines.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by MrsBigFlyer
No airport police every came. A Delta supervisor did, however, and spoke quietly to the fuming gate agent and then left. The passenger who had "knocked" continued to wait quietly until the irate gate agent asked her why she was still there. She replied that she was waiting for security (as she had been told by him to do so). He then told her she could leave and he turned his back on her. She left at that point, as did I. We both returned to the gate for the subsequent flight a few hours later. He ignored us and we ignored him. Very bizarre all around!
Did you ever get the gate agent's name? I definitely would write DL about the customer service. Sounds like he needs some anger management and will be a legal liability for DL down the line...
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

I thought asking for the gate agent's name would send him even further off the deep end, so I did not. I did write Delta, however. I will post their response.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:44 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Illegal? I'd have laughed, were the situation appropriate for laughter.

"Please, show me the local law or FAR that makes striking a jetway door a crime."

"Ah yes, I thought so. Now make with the rebooking, chop-chop."
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
"Ah yes, I thought so. Now make with the rebooking, chop-chop."
Now that's just asking for the back row of a CRJ-200 the rest of the way to your destination...
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
This, the same week USA today writes about rude flyers.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:35 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Wow, what an a$$. I'd have met one of the MSP station managers that evening.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by InTokyo
What a jerk.

He doesn't deserve to have that job.

Terrible representation of Delta Air Lines.
^ GA's by nature need to be calm and reasonable people able to handle irate passengers without being upset themselves. Its a unique type.

Telling a customer that "he might not let him on the next flight" is combative and spiteful....and lame.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 6:23 am

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - 2 Million Miler; Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson GOLD. ParknGo loves me
Didn't know we had NYC GA's doing a job rotation in MSP. We're too "Minnesota nice" for something like that.

Like someone else said...everybody has a bad day now and again - but taking it out on the PAX is not right. Agree that the supervisor / station managers should have been made aware.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.