FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   MSP-NRT to go 777 starting in the fall. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1239420-msp-nrt-go-777-starting-fall.html)

JOSECONLSCREW28 Jul 21, 2011 12:18 pm

MSP-NRT to go 777 starting in the fall.

Per DeltaNet, MSP NRT will be going to a 777 this fall.

Quote:
MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL, July 21, 2011 – Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) today announced it will begin operating flights between Minneapolis-St. Paul and Tokyo with Boeing 777 aircraft this fall, offering full flat-bed seats in BusinessElite and individual on-demand entertainment throughout both cabins of service.

ClipperDelta Jul 21, 2011 12:34 pm

I had noticed in the winter schedules that they were going to operate 2 intra-Asia 777 routes (NRT-HKG, NRT-SIN) but only one TPAC 777 route from NRT (NRT-ATL). Didn't think they were going to keep that situation for long (keeping a 777 only on an interport run).

jjvan Jul 21, 2011 2:22 pm

There is also DTW-HKG.

steex Jul 21, 2011 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by jjvan (Post 16771931)
There is also DTW-HKG.

Right, but the DTW-HKG bird couldn't operate HKG-NRT-HKG in time with the NRT banks and then return on HKG-DTW on any kind of reasonable schedule.

jjvan Jul 21, 2011 4:07 pm

No but just 2 operate the DTW-HKG-DTW flights there are 2 777's in rotation. Not to mention that HKG is a heavy maintenance base.

TheMoose Jul 21, 2011 4:14 pm

That is a significant reduction in the number of seats, both business and coach.

I guess this is a strong indication of how committed Delta is to MSP and Minnesota. :rolleyes:

bennos Jul 21, 2011 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 16772582)
That is a significant reduction in the number of seats, both business and coach.

I guess this is a strong indication of how committed Delta is to MSP and Minnesota. :rolleyes:

Until the 744 refurbs are done, that is a significant improvement in the quality of the hard product, both business and coach.

javabytes Jul 21, 2011 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by bennos (Post 16772685)
Until the 744 refurbs are done, that is a significant improvement in the quality of the hard product, both business and coach.

^

Plus those birds aren't exactly filling to capacity as it is.

FLLDL Jul 21, 2011 4:45 pm

Great news for MSP, a huge upgrade in coach and a nice upgrade to fully flat beds in Biz.

TheMoose Jul 21, 2011 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by bennos (Post 16772685)

You're telling me the refurbs are going to take the entire 744 fleet out of service at once? Or only on the MSP-NRT route? Where are the other 744 route changes to account for this theory?

Normally an airline rotates the fleet through refurbishments, especially when the airline has spares of that fleet type sitting around during the winter months. They don't downgrade the service for an entire season (or longer).

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 16772725)
^

Plus those birds aren't exactly filling to capacity as it is.

Oh, really? I regularly take that flight. I rarely see an empty coach seat.

TTT Jul 21, 2011 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 16772737)
You're telling me the refurbs are going to take the entire 744 fleet out of service at once? Or only on the MSP-NRT route? Where are the other 744 route changes to account for this theory?

Normally an airline rotates the fleet through refurbishments, especially when the airline has spares of that fleet type sitting around during the winter months. They don't downgrade the service for an entire season.

I think you misread the post. For those flying in Y on MSP-NRT the introduction of the 777 will be a nice improvement over the 747s as currently configured.

ande777emt Jul 21, 2011 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 16772582)

Better quality, but a true reflection on what DL management feels towards MSP/MN. I don't blame them, I'm rather glad I've left MN.

sxf24 Jul 21, 2011 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by ande777emt (Post 16772844)
Better quality, but a true reflection on what DL management feels towards MSP/MN. I don't blame them, I'm rather glad I've left MN.

The true reflection is they like their Minnesotan customers so much their sending them their nicest plane? :confused:

willzzz88 Jul 21, 2011 5:15 pm

Filling a plane with CHEAP Y seats DOESN'T make money. Filling them with HIGH YIELD $1,500+ Y fares and $3k/4k+ J fares makes money/pays off.

DL is optimizing yield and routing.

The BusinessElite traveler gets a fully flat-bed (upper midwest, lots of industrial companies & connections).

The Y they get more expensive fares.

TheMoose Jul 21, 2011 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by TTT (Post 16772821)
I think you misread the post. For those flying in Y on MSP-NRT the introduction of the 777 will be a nice improvement over the 747s as currently configured.

I didn't misread it.

My point is there will be 104 fewer coach seats every day to NRT (and 20 fewer BE seats every day). That's a significant cut in available seats on a flight that is nearly always full.

For those 124 extra seats, they'll have to connect thru somewhere else, likely the West Coast, which is served by 763ERs with (you guessed it) a coach product very similar to the 744s. Or they'll be routed through ATL or DTW.

When fleet upgrades happen, they rotate the changes through, not make a schedule change for the entire season.