Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No PTVs for regular PMDL 752s, new LCDs instead

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus

According to a thread at A.net, it looks like DL has scrapped its long-term plans of installing PTVs on the rest of the 757 felet. However, it was stated that the regular PMDL 752s (the ones with the S-VHS servers and overhead CRT monitors) will get new overhead LCD monitors.

I wonder though, will the LCD monitors simply be fixed over the aisles like the existing CRT monitors, or will they be the flip-down type below the overhead bins like on the non-AVOD 738s and 753s?

Also, I wonder if only the monitors will be replaced, or if the S-VHS servers will be replaced by new digital servers (i.e. Panasonic Digital MPES)? Even with new LCDs, clean digital video would look much nicer than old warbled S-VHS tapes. If possible, Panasonic iXplor (moving map) would also be a good addition when there is no video being shown.

BTW, this so far only applies to the PMDL fleet; nothing has been announced for the PMNW 752 fleet.

Mr. Babb, where are you?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Originally Posted by Delta 764
According to a thread at A.net, it looks like DL has scrapped its long-term plans of installing PTVs on the rest of the 757 felet. However, it was stated that the regular PMDL 752s (the ones with the S-VHS servers and overhead CRT monitors) will get new overhead LCD monitors.

I wonder though, will the LCD monitors simply be fixed over the aisles like the existing CRT monitors, or will they be the flip-down type below the overhead bins like on the non-AVOD 738s and 753s?

Also, I wonder if only the monitors will be replaced, or if the S-VHS servers will be replaced by new digital servers (i.e. Panasonic Digital MPES)? Even with new LCDs, clean digital video would look much nicer than old warbled S-VHS tapes. If possible, Panasonic iXplor (moving map) would also be a good addition when there is no video being shown.

BTW, this so far only applies to the PMDL fleet; nothing has been announced for the PMNW 752 fleet.

Mr. Babb, where are you?
NOOOOOO!
The 757 different version madness will continue! Why, Delta, why?!?!? Consistency is your friend!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by nytraveller53
Why, Delta, why?!?!?
Perhaps they're not going to be keeping the 752s for as long as they once thought.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

NOOOOOO!
The 757 different version madness will continue! Why, Delta, why?!?!? Consistency is your friend!
Well, considering the age of many of these 757s, this just might be a more cost-effective solution than AVOD. However, I would definitely say AVOD is a must have on the 753 fleet.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:35 pm

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Well, considering the age of many of these 757s, this just might be a more cost-effective solution than AVOD. However, I would definitely say AVOD is a must have on the 753 fleet.
Delta's 757 fleet is so inconsistent, even if they kept the planes for a few more years, it would be worth it. Now, we'll have:

ETOPS birds with AVOD
ETOPS birds without AVOD
Birds with AVOD and live TV
Birds with stupid LCD screens

and different seating configurations among them all. Especially with Delta.dumb's inaccuracies, it all boils down to a confusing situation for the typical traveler.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Nah, it won't be that confusing... DL.com will keep it all straight for you. And DL.com is never wrong, and equipment swaps never happen.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Nah, it won't be that confusing... DL.com will keep it all straight for you. And DL.com is never wrong, and equipment swaps never happen.
Never, ever.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Also, I hope DL at least moves the control buttons from the side of the armrest to the top of the armrest, and replaces the double prong sockets with single prong sockets.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I hope this change corrects the audio issue. Has anyone else ever noticed on the 753's (and maybe some 763's also) that there is a repetitive noise that often occurs when listening to the audio track of a movie? Its a subtle noise but it continues for the entire flight. . .
Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I hope this change corrects the audio issue. Has anyone else ever noticed on the 753's (and maybe some 763's also) that there is a repetitive noise that often occurs when listening to the audio track of a movie? Its a subtle noise but it continues for the entire flight. . .
Nothing has been announced for the 753 fleet; this rumor only applies to the PMDL non-AVOD 752 fleet. Since the 753s are much newer, AVOD is a must have on them as they serve a similar purpose in the fleet that the domestic 763s do.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There will never be consistency across the Delta 757 fleet. There are simply too many configs and, apart from the newish 757-300 sub-fleet - too little economic life left relative to the capital spending that would be necessary to commonize things. Retirements, not refurbs, will address this.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:21 pm

Thank you, 3C, for clearly stating what I was alluding to earlier.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:23 pm

The inconsistency in the product is certainly annoying. I've had 3 equipment swaps from 75X's to 757's the past month or so. What I don't get is why Delta is adamant on listing LiveTV on the flights and bookings page...there are too many changes, it makes the info worthless.

And based on the last 75X I was on, Delta would be better just getting rid of the LiveTV and seatback TV screens if the systems are going to be in such disrepair.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
NOOOOOO!
+1
Originally Posted by davisew
Perhaps they're not going to be keeping the 752s for as long as they once thought.
My thoughts exactly.
Also, I hope DL at least moves the control buttons from the side of the armrest to the top of the armrest, and replaces the double prong sockets with single prong sockets.
Agreed
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
NOOOOOO!
Every time I fly a 75x, I hate scrolling through the 20 versions or so on seatguru...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.