Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is on Gogo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Now on DL 1031 (seat 2A if anyone else is here), LGA--> DTW.

Pretty fast download speeds (0.5 Mbps, with upstream 0.25 Mbps).
Old Jun 27, 2012, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
had awesome speeds this past Sunday DFW-ATL but then the FA had announced during pushback that the service on this plane wasn't working which might have had a small impact in the speed I was receiving
Old Jun 27, 2012, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by bonoman
I use Gogo quite often and I find the speed to generally be acceptable. However, since it appears to just be 5 Mbps, it would be nice if the whole plane wasn't trying to watch youtube or netflix and just stick to basic browsing. I generally try to respect the fact that bandwidth is shared amongst everyone else on the plane.
Since Gogo currently uses 3G, the total bandwidth available for everyone on the plane is at best 3Mbit/s download. I'm afraid there's not many people could stream watchable movies through that pipe. Gogo is planning to switch to a faster system (apparently not 4G, but some variation of EV-DO) that will give them 4X bandwidth (wow a whole 12Mbit/s). Still not great for a 747 full of passengers watching movies (or even a CRJ for that matter).

There are also plans to support KU-band satellite technology to support transoceanic flights, but that's out a few years.

Perhaps the streaming wifi technology we're hearing about is streaming from an AVOD system within the plane - but even then given the close proximity of the passengers, I don't think you could get more than a few dozen passengers on the wireless access point watching movies before they start experiencing slow downs.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Now on DL 2248 DTW-->LGA.

Saw 1.1 Mbps downstream just before.

I am in 1C if anyone else is on this flight.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Now on 1448 DTW-->LGA

Seat 1b if anyone else is here
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
On DL2150 to SLC right now, missed UG left me in 27A
This is the beginning of an MR for me. I am flying JFK-SJU tomorrow, and wondering if anyone has tried Gogo to the Caribbean. IIRC, I was able to use it to/from the Bahamas in the Spring. I already have a 24-hour pass, so just curious if I will be able to use it. Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
On DL2150 to SLC right now, missed UG left me in 27A
This is the beginning of an MR for me. I am flying JFK-SJU tomorrow, and wondering if anyone has tried Gogo to the Caribbean. IIRC, I was able to use it to/from the Bahamas in the Spring. I already have a 24-hour pass, so just curious if I will be able to use it. Thanks!
I've used it recently to Oahu and San Juan. It seems to work for maybe around 30 minutes once you've left the coast. It'd be really nice if it worked for TATL flights, but they don't seem to have the funding to put those pesky towers in the middle of the ocean.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Just curious... If you win a free pass playing the game on Gogo, can you use it for a 24-hour pass, or is it just good for a single flight?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Howste
Just curious... If you win a free pass playing the game on Gogo, can you use it for a 24-hour pass, or is it just good for a single flight?
Single flight. But might be worth flipping through the ads in Sky magazine. I found a URL in there last month that you could go to (not a Gogo/Amazon/DL flight, so you'd have to wait until on the ground), register, and receive a code that will work for a 24-hour pass.

Or maybe it was a different magazine...now I'm doubting myself.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:13 pm

Well, I got the Lucky Seat free code on the ATL-SLC flight today. The Internet was so slow though that the sign in page timed out several times and it took a good 10 minutes just to enter the code and get connected. If I had actually paid for it, I'd have had to ask for a refund. Per FT protocol though, I should probably complain and ask for massive SkyPeso compensation...
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Howste
Well, I got the Lucky Seat free code on the ATL-SLC flight today. The Internet was so slow though that the sign in page timed out several times and it took a good 10 minutes just to enter the code and get connected. If I had actually paid for it, I'd have had to ask for a refund. Per FT protocol though, I should probably complain and ask for massive SkyPeso compensation...
If you hit up the support link on the Gogo landing page, they'll probably give you another free flight code.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
If you hit up the support link on the Gogo landing page, they'll probably give you another free flight code.
Thanks for the info. It would have probably taken 20 minutes to get to the page at the rate things were going though.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Any method to get a discount/free daily besides risk on the luckyseat lottery?
Or any commerce for those donating userid/pswd for paypal donation as they have a monthly subscription? I need it for two days. PM on the 2nd.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Currently on DL763, which just happens to be a newly-refurbished 763 (specifically a 76Z) in seat 1C.

Downstream speed was 1.0 Mbps. Upstream 0.28.

Anyone else here on the flight with me?

Last edited by jspira; Jun 26, 2013 at 5:58 pm
Old Jun 26, 2013, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Currently on DL 2262, LAX-JFK, in seat 2D.

Downstream is 0.38, upstream .02 Mbps.

Subsequent tests revealed a substantially slower

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.