Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to Limit ALL Baggage to 50lbs?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:25 am

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
Originally Posted by javabytes
I don't see too much of an issue. Much better for the baggage handlers. And how many people really stuff a suitcase full to 70 pounds when flying domestically? (Note: With a post like this, FT statistics tell me that the next post is sure to be from a person who says they bring 70 pounds. The point is, would-be poster, you are in a very small minority.)

I've seen kettles bring some carry-ons that had to be stuffed close to 70 pounds though...
These threads always make me wonder...am I the only elite that goes on a long vacation? My last true vacation was 3 weeks to 4 distinct climates ranging from desert to arctic tundra with 4 nights of formalwear required. You trying keeping bags under 50lbs with that and the necessities required for that length of stay.

I think the larger issue is, as others have pointed out, for the times when a bag is required, one bag will do, but frequently on the return my bag is right around 50lbs. So if 52lbs means I need two bags, that's a huge pain.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by DeltaWings
When was this announced? The DL website still says 2 free bags up to 70 lbs. for all Medallions. You still get an extra bag as always if you score an UG to FC.
As usual with DL it was not really announced just showed up one night. This is the new policy for International baggage so I have no doubt it will be adopted for domestic soon.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:41 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by iamhereandthere
These threads always make me wonder...am I the only elite that goes on a long vacation? My last true vacation was 3 weeks to 4 distinct climates ranging from desert to arctic tundra with 4 nights of formalwear required. You trying keeping bags under 50lbs with that and the necessities required for that length of stay.
Contestants on The Amazing Race do it every season with just a backpack. Just sayin. Granted, they're not toting around formal wear but does a tux weigh that much?

On a more serious note, if I'm going on an extended vacation I am not schlepping a month's worth of clothes along. Certainly laundry facilities aren't something that's unique only to the US.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by plagwate
Contestants on The Amazing Race do it every season with just a backpack. Just sayin. Granted, they're not toting around formal wear but does a tux weigh that much?

On a more serious note, if I'm going on an extended vacation I am not schlepping a month's worth of clothes along. Certainly laundry facilities aren't something that's unique only to the US.
I agree. That is a pretty tough clothing requirement but I am on the road 3 weeks a month from HKG to AMS to DBX and I have not checked a bag since 1999. Laundry services are your friend and most people pack way more than they actually need. I qualify this as only for those who do not travel with tools or sales samples and the like. Other than the above there is no need to ever hang out in an airport for an extra 1/2 hour waiting for a bag...By that time I am in my hotel room
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by gte157q
Good idea, more bag fees! We all know DL doesn't make money flying, only on fees and selling miles to AmEx
Fixed that for you
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by plagwate

The tux might not, but if you need multiple pairs of shoes, the weight adds up. I'm dreading lugging hiking boots an upcoming trip or two. They're really uncomfortable to wear sitting on planes and trains, but they take up a ton of space and weight in checked bags. At least I've figured out how to stuff socks into them to minimize wasted space.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtkeller
The tux might not, but if you need multiple pairs of shoes, the weight adds up. I'm dreading lugging hiking boots an upcoming trip or two. They're really uncomfortable to wear sitting on planes and trains, but they take up a ton of space and weight in checked bags. At least I've figured out how to stuff socks into them to minimize wasted space.
Oh yes..many tips!

- Socks in shoes.
- Use of every area of the laptop bag for clothing. I can get a pair of Bostonian Dress shoes in one side of my LT bag as well as socks and at least
- If I need a jacket I wear it or sling it over my shoulder

You can get really creative!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:22 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Any time I've had to bring multiple pairs of shoes, I've always packed them in my rollaboard along with a day's change of clothing (in case my checked bag is lost). I've had as many as 4 or 5 pairs in that carryon (work boot, sneakers, dress shoe, loafer) based on the diverse needs of the trip. Boots and shoes are typically the most densely weighted items of clothing (most of us take them off before stepping onto the doctor's scale to weigh) and are the easiest means of controlling weight of the typical checked bag.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:32 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by mudbug31
I have only packed a bag to 70 lbs once (while living/traveling to and from Russia) but there have been a number of times where Mrs. mudbug and I will check only one bag that will be between 50-55 pounds.

It would be a shame not to have that leeway. I can definitely see the merits of not having to load a 70 lb bag on a plane but it would also be nice to continue to not have to worry about a pound or two extra over 50 lbs.
I think this is the key difference. The 70 lbs allotment allows you to have a bag that is 55 lbs....something Mrs. FlyAO2 regularly manages to pack (much to my dismay)
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I agree. That is a pretty tough clothing requirement but I am on the road 3 weeks a month from HKG to AMS to DBX and I have not checked a bag since 1999. Laundry services are your friend and most people pack way more than they actually need. I qualify this as only for those who do not travel with tools or sales samples and the like. Other than the above there is no need to ever hang out in an airport for an extra 1/2 hour waiting for a bag...By that time I am in my hotel room
For a bit of perspective, 30 minutes is (assuming my math is right) 0.3% of a week. If I have a long trip, or a trip which requires something like a tux, I'm not going to sweat the 30 minutes.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:46 am

Programs: DL 2MM GM
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
Until DL makes such an announcement, and/or there is a link to it here, I have more than enough REAL stuff to be concerned about. Until then, this is no more than speculation, gossip, etc. Bye.
No speculation? Gossip? This forum would wither and die
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:46 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SpinzCity
>>>>>>>And how many people really stuff a suitcase full to 70 pounds when flying domestically?

1) Beer runs to the west coast;

2) Bourbon runs to LEX and SDF;

3) Year's supply of Skyline chili from CVG;
It's not so much about the 70 pound bag, it's the 55 pound bag on the return because you got a deal on some antique books.

Of course, my wife would disagree...."only 70 pounds?"
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Siriusly
A friend that works at CVG's curbside check-in alerted me to very-reliable chatter that Delta will soon limit ALL baggage to 50lbs (even for Medallions) in an effort to 1) increase baggage transfer efficiency and 2) to reduce the risk for workplace related injuries. Any of us who've seen the sparse and aging ticketing counter staff try to chuck 70 pound bags on the conveyor belt probably understand the potential for an HR nightmare. BUT...

I noticed Medallions can now check 3 bags as opposed to 2-- even on RJ's. I wonder if this is a discreet move to encourage travelers that pack heavy to get used to distributing their stuff among three bags... in the same vein as when DL fliers were given the opportunity to purchase expired miles just prior to the announcement of the no-expiration policy.
As far as efficiency and reducing injuries, if someone is going over 50 lbs and has to check a second bag, how does that save on efficiency having another bag to load, and track? I rarely check a bag but have a fold up duffel in the bottom of the rollling duffel that I use when I do have to check in case I am on WN and go over the 50 lb rule. I have seen Counter agents at WN say there is a fee on a 52 lb bag and had to take out that duffell and put a few items in it. I have no problem doing that since I am over their limit, but it ends up slowing down the line (I have no way of knowing how much stuff I bought weight wise and weighing the bag at the hotel), in addition to priting out a second bag tag, etc.

If they are that concerned with workplace injuries, then they shouldn't accept ANY bags over 50 lbs. The odds of a baggage worker getting hurt handling a 70-lb bag checked for free by an elite or a paid F cabin passenger are not any great than getting hurt handling a 70-lb bag someone paid an overweight bag fee on.

One airline (I think it's Southwest) is allowing Military to check bags weighing up to 100 lbs for free. If safety is a concern with bag weight, then they shoudln't accept the bags even if the PAXS pays an upcharge.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbarnette
For a bit of perspective, 30 minutes is (assuming my math is right) 0.3% of a week. If I have a long trip, or a trip which requires something like a tux, I'm not going to sweat the 30 minutes.
Depends on your perspective. I fly 2-4 times a week every single week of the year. That's 1-2 hours a week x 52 = 52-104 hours a year. 1-2 work weeks spent at baggage claim. I already spend 200k miles in the air so that 2 weeks is precious to me.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Depends on your perspective. I fly 2-4 times a week every single week of the year. That's 1-2 hours a week x 52 = 52-104 hours a year. 1-2 work weeks spent at baggage claim. I already spend 200k miles in the air so that 2 weeks is precious to me.
People need to watch the movie "up in the air" I remember when the girl Ryan was training took her first flight with him and he made her buy carry on bags in the airport lecturing her as to how much time you spend waiting on a bag and how much time was saved carrying on
\
And not to mention when you carry on instead of checking, it is a LOT more convenient if you want to change flights or get stuck in an irrops situation, especially if your flight isn't going out until the next morning. Luckilly in all my irrops situations where I got stuck waiting until the next day to fly out, I was carrying on, so I didn't have to wait for my bag and was able to proceed directly to my hotel or back home. I am told it is brutal to get your checked bag back on a flight that has cancelled when an airport is cancelling a lot of flights due to weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.