Community
Wiki Posts
Search

change in upgrade policy/procedure?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2011, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

change in upgrade policy/procedure?

For the first quarter of this year, I was upgraded fairly regularly on flights I took where there was a FC section.

Since April or so, I've noticed that my upgrade percentage has dropped off considerably. But the other thing I have noticed is that sometimes I am 15 (or even 23 recently!) on the upgrade list.

I am platinum -- and I understand that there are plenty of diamonds out there ... but not sure how I would end up as #23 on a paid ticket, especially on a trip out of Tulsa!

One thing I've noticed particularly is that when my first leg cannot be cleared for upgrade (i.e., international flights), I am no longer getting upgraded for domestic legs on the same itinerary. Used to be that I'd almost always get the upgrade in the 5-day window.

Any idea what's going on or who I can ask? It's happened too many times to be a coincidence...
Old Jul 5, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Regarding your upgrade % dropping....paging the FCM folks. Is SHIB in the house?

Regarding being #15 or #23 on the list, assuming DL is following the rules, yes there are DMs and PMs on a higher fare class than you on those flights. Given the fact the DL has promos out there that grossly inflate the elite ranks, it's hardly surprising.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Regarding your upgrade % dropping....paging the FCM folks. Is SHIB in the house?

Regarding being #15 or #23 on the list, assuming DL is following the rules, yes there are DMs and PMs on a higher fare class than you on those flights. Given the fact the DL has promos out there that grossly inflate the elite ranks, it's hardly surprising.
I would find it less surprising if it didn't suddenly start mid year ... I know people are perhaps making silver or gold in the first three months -- promotions or not -- but can't imagine there are enough diamonds or golds on higher ticket classes "all of a sudden" that would have this result.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
FCM would probably have this effect if DL has finally found the price at which FC seats will sell. Fewer upgrades available at the window + more people paying for a seat up front = less upgrades for you plus longer upgrade lists than you're used to on day of departure.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by rsuzanne
I would find it less surprising if it didn't suddenly start mid year ... I know people are perhaps making silver or gold in the first three months -- promotions or not -- but can't imagine there are enough diamonds or golds on higher ticket classes "all of a sudden" that would have this result.
Because of FCM many people are buying higher classes to get a better shot. The difference between a T and an H can be under $100 and it gives you a far better shot. Between 40,000 DM's, MQM promotions, FCM, and tighter inventory this is pretty much what you can expect going forward. Yes, the program did change in my estimation this year.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles (Silver), UA Mileage Plus, US Scareways, AA Advantage
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

To our DL insiders here: has there been anything released internally regarding FCM? One would think that DL would put out a note about what a GA should do if someone asks why they're withholding upgrades, etc.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DL757ATL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

To our DL insiders here: has there been anything released internally regarding FCM? One would think that DL would put out a note about what a GA should do if someone asks why they're withholding upgrades, etc.
Send in a complaint on DL.com and see what you get back...
Old Jul 5, 2011, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by DL757ATL

FCM was formally rolled out but to the investment community not the flying community. "P" fares are the result of FCM. Whether or not you believe it is the right thing for DL to do (make more money on the FC product and pull back a bit as a perk) the reality is it has changed the way the program is perceived and has changed some behaviours. In that way the program is not the same as it was a year ago.

BTW, the upgrades that are withheld are at the window not the gate so the GA would not necessarily know why only 2/24 open FC seats went to V inventory at T-5/4/1 day but FCM is the reason on many routes.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avidflyer
FCM was formally rolled out but to the investment community not the flying community. "P" fares are the result of FCM. Whether or not you believe it is the right thing for DL to do (make more money on the FC product and pull back a bit as a perk) the reality is it has changed the way the program is perceived and has changed some behaviours. In that way the program is not the same as it was a year ago.

BTW, the upgrades that are withheld are at the window not the gate so the GA would not necessarily know why only 2/24 open FC seats went to V inventory at T-5/4/1 day but FCM is the reason on many routes.
Sorry but what is FCM? First class upgrades for sale at the gate? That definitely wasn't happening out of Tulsa and I haven't seen it on any Atlanta to Bhm flights, etiher ... LGA I figured was something like that.

I am generally happy with Delta but the continuous reduction of perks (and the lack of some that should be there, like the possibility of upgrading on int'l flights with miles on a reasonable fare) is making me wonder whether keeping my miles with them makes sense. I could easily switch to US Air -- not sure if their program is any better but thinking I should do some research...
Old Jul 5, 2011, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Ok, found the thread on FC monetization ... maybe that's it ... but again, not sure, as some of the routes just don't seem likely ... i shall look for the P fares, though.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FCM is the selling of FC seats for a modest upcharge from high-priced coach fares at the time of booking (usually denoted by the presence of P fares). The difference from deeply discounted fares might be hundreds of dollars each way, but the difference from the more expensive fares seldom exceeds $100 each way. The idea is those who buy last-minute tickets might be convinced to drop a little extra to confirm a FC seat before DL gives those seats away to elites. Of course, in order to do so, DL has to hold FC seats back right up until departure which means less upgrades at the window and possibly, if those seats sell, less upgrades for elites. Opinions on the program vary from "good for DL" to "let's reserve judgement until it's clear how drastically this affects elite upgrades" to "ZOMG it's the end of the world!"
Old Jul 5, 2011, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
OP, the floodgates were recently opened, which swelled the PM ranks by letting people who only had to fly a few segments reach our Medallion level. Could it possibly be that the ranks of PM have swelled to the point where PM has become the new FO when it comes to UG chances? (And FO has become NO when it comes to UGs?)

First, DL introduces DM so that we lesser PMs get knocked down to second class Then DL bumps up the GMs so that we can fall below people who didn't actually earn PM. Through it all, we PMs got nothing. No bonus offers. No easy way to DM. C'mon DL, throw us a bone. Show us some love.

I really don't expect to be treated like a DM, but when I flew my 130 segments last year, I didn't expect I would competing or UGs with someone who flew 60 segments last year and six this year. Why can't we fly six measly segments and be given preferred status over other PMs when it comes to UGs?
Old Jul 5, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL
To chime-in on this matter; I have experienced the same thing, my upgrade “number” all of the sudden moved from near-certain upgrade to the “teens” and twenties. I am PL and have made PL for the next year about a month ago, likely to get DM in a few weeks; to add uncertainty to the matter, I almost always purchase B, M (sometimes Y) fares and yet to see that message - "hey, we have $100 upgrade to P"; last week on ATL-SEA route on 767 with 30 first class seats in total with 2(!) available for upgrades I was #15 on the list on paid B fare, along with DM member sitting next to me who was #5 on H fare. In my mind it is more than worrisome development; should this persist it will makes me question my alignment to DL... in the meanwhile I am bracing for an impact and rediscovering coach in all its glory.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
What I have found is the available seat list disappear quite rapidly. For example, I'll check in 24 hours and see 5 seats available in F. Suddenly as the day progresses only 1 is available.

Now in theory people could have bought 4 seats due to FCM, but I find that very unlikely. Many times there is still a big difference between paying coach and paying the "upgraded" price for first. I find it difficult to believe that that many people bought seats.

Again, I know there are other things that could happen (flight delays, bumps, etc...) that help dwindle the number down. But it does seem bizarre that I keep seeing this over and over again
Old Jul 5, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
I'm a lowly GM, batting 75% so far this year and my girlfriend is a FO who is getting 65%. She's flown with me to LAX, DCA and BOS so far this year and has been upgraded on the ATL or MEM routes into those cities each time.

I guess it's just hit-or-miss. Sorry to hear you've suddenly hit the wall.

I'm missing about 1 UG per trip, usually a flight involving ATL and an MD-88.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.