Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

throwaway ticket and "forced" checked bag??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2011, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Flying PHX-SLC on a full CRJ, on a throwaway ticket (for the first time)

What if we're "forced" to check bag at the gate??

Could we get the bags planeside at SLC? or just tell them to check it to SLC?
Old Jul 2, 2011, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delta's Contract of Carriage prohibits short-checked bags. The checked bag goes to your ticketed destination (or ticketed stopover, not connection).

If the flight isn't offering planeside valet (pink tag) for everyone you may be out of luck. This is a risk one takes with throw-away ticketing.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 10:26 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
The fact that you are on a CRJ makes this really a non-issue. As long as your carry-ons are legal in size they will just be gate checked with pink tags.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta's Contract of Carriage prohibits short-checked bags. The checked bag goes to your ticketed destination (or ticketed stopover, not connection).

If the flight isn't offering planeside valet (pink tag) for everyone you may be out of luck. This is a risk one takes with throw-away ticketing.

Thanks.

Worst case I thought I could say that my son's sick and try to get the bags in SLC ? didn't want the ire of the RPU
Old Jul 2, 2011, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A4K
The fact that you are on a CRJ makes this really a non-issue. As long as your carry-ons are legal in size they will just be gate checked with pink tags.
Great! I wasn't sure if every CRJ had that.

We'll make sure the carry-ons are legal
Old Jul 2, 2011, 10:35 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Curious as to what your ticketed routing is that saved you money to go for the throw away ticket. Not like I fly out of SLC ever, but I would think with the competition between SLC and PHX you would be able to find a decent fare just booking that routing.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Will the GA/FA even know what is your final destination? If they are handwriting tags why not just tell them your intended destination? 1 -leg flights are much easier for the tag writer since they will not need any connecting flight data/#s.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
Will the GA/FA even know what is your final destination? If they are handwriting tags why not just tell them your intended destination? 1 -leg flights are much easier for the tag writer since they will not need any connecting flight data/#s.
They typically ask you for your seat assignment too, so if they get back to the gate and see that you said SLC, but the person in 4C is going to Missoula, there's going to be some confusion...
Old Jul 2, 2011, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I am very surprised to read this -- I have often been asked when checking in if I want my bags checked to my final destination. Is there, perhaps, an exception for international flights to the US as they have to give me my bags upon arrival to clear Customs?
Old Jul 2, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Dovster
I am very surprised to read this -- I have often been asked when checking in if I want my bags checked to my final destination. Is there, perhaps, an exception for international flights to the US as they have to give me my bags upon arrival to clear Customs?
I'm also surprised. Is this a Delta thing or common policy for all US-based airlines? I've never had a problem requesting and receiving a short-check to a connection outside the USA (non-US airline).
Old Jul 2, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM / Hilton Diamond
How about you just played by the rules?
Anyway, there is a thread here somewhere about CRJ900s and maybe CRJ700s not offering valet anymore, which means that your bags needs to fit into overhead.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 2:59 pm

I have NEVER seen this happen (valet checking a bag and having the GA/FA ask for connex flight information......and if you think the GA's go back to the podiums after departure and match what a pax told them when valet checking a bag with whats in the computer.....you are NOT flying on a carrier based in the USA.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingForEternity
there is a thread here somewhere about CRJ900s and maybe CRJ700s not offering valet anymore, which means that your bags needs to fit into overhead.

uh oh.. link?

What're the bag specs that fit into overhead fro CRJ900s and maybe CRJ700s
Old Jul 2, 2011, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A4K
Curious as to what your ticketed routing is that saved you money to go for the throw away ticket. Not like I fly out of SLC ever, but I would think with the competition between SLC and PHX you would be able to find a decent fare just booking that routing.
you might be surprised...

into DEN! (thanks Southwest!)

PHX-SLC-DEN was $59

return SLC-LAS $59 on US was sold out
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:24 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by vickh
uh oh.. link?

What're the bag specs that fit into overhead fro CRJ900s and maybe CRJ700s
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...900-700-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.