End of an era at DL FLL?

Old Jun 29, 11, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

End of an era at DL FLL?

I was driving past FLL today and say a sign saying DL has moved to T3. Drove past and they are still in T2 at FLL, but if this is true, DL will be abandoning the terminal they built. I don't know when it was built but if I had to guess I would say late 70s/early 80s. The terminal will still belong to AC and Condor.

Hard to think of T2 AKA the Delta Terminal without DL in it. The start of my aviation appreciation was there. I used to go pick my dad up every Friday there, and flew in and out countless times. I remember when it was concourse B (now D)!!!

Wonder what will happen to the SkyClub if this move is true.

Feel free to reminisce here!
Old Jun 29, 11, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
This is news to me. I just landed there today and am flying out next week. It is still in D
Old Jun 29, 11, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

FWIW they are doing construction in the E side (where FL moved from) of T3. If it is still in T2 when you leave, can you find out if/when they are moving?
Old Jun 29, 11, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I don't see it happening anytime soon. DL is still belongs at entire T2 for a long time. I don't see any changes for a long time. DL does not wants to move out of T2. DL is still operation in the terminal 2 for all of those years. DL doesn't want to move out of entire T2. Is that cleared?
Old Jun 29, 11, 11:28 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
There's apparently construction on Terminal 4 planned (including a connection to Terminal 3 post-security), and that could possibly create a disruption in other terminals, since T4 is the only US Customs checkpoint at FLL. If T2 has space for a Customs facility, it's not a stretch to see DL having to move out while the checkpoint is built out.

Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
I don't see it happening anytime soon. DL is still belongs at entire T2 for a long time. I don't see any changes for a long time. DL does not wants to move out of T2. DL is still operation in the terminal 2 for all of those years. DL doesn't want to move out of entire T2. Is that cleared?
Not really. More than half of your sentences use wrong verb conjugations.
Old Jun 30, 11, 12:07 am

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
Originally Posted by BonzoESC View Post

Not really. More than half of your sentences use wrong verb conjugations.
N830MH uses ASL (American Sign Language) which is a beautiful and expressive language, but unfortunately doesn't have verb tenses which correspond well to written English. It isn't that hard to understand.
Old Jun 30, 11, 5:25 am

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Originally Posted by KeaauFlyer View Post
N830MH uses ASL (American Sign Language) which is a beautiful and expressive language, but unfortunately doesn't have verb tenses which correspond well to written English. It isn't that hard to understand.
Just wondering, because I'm genuinely interested. Can't N830MH still maintain his regular English, as well as sign language, or do they just get too confusing to do both?

BTW, I hope Delta isn't going to throttle down on the FLL flights...I fly to FLL very regularly, and I love all their nonstops from LGA...
Old Jun 30, 11, 7:49 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded.
Old Jun 30, 11, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta Diamond
DL moving out?

After almost 2 yrs commuting FLL-LAX, DL moved the direct flight (1168/9) to MIA-LAX. Very nice DL terminal and SC in Miami, but an additional 20-30 min drive. Hope this is not a sign of things to come. The FLL-LAX flts were always 100% full and as a DM I very often sat in the back, so it was an elite heavy route (on Mon/Thur)

Last edited by heatz; Jun 30, 11 at 8:03 am Reason: add
Old Jun 30, 11, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BonzoESC View Post
There's apparently construction on Terminal 4 planned (including a connection to Terminal 3 post-security), and that could possibly create a disruption in other terminals, since T4 is the only US Customs checkpoint at FLL. If T2 has space for a Customs facility, it's not a stretch to see DL having to move out while the checkpoint is built out.
If I understand your suggestion correctly, the move to T3 could be temporary if they build the customs facility? I mean I can't picture DL leaving T2 period unless they got a nice payday from the County. Many still refer to it as the DELTA TERMINAL, after all!
Old Jun 30, 11, 9:35 am

Where was the sign? I'll be back at FLL on Saturday and can take a look.

Seems unlikely that FLL would move over to T3. Maybe just an old sign from when Jetblue moved to T3?
Old Jun 30, 11, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

It was one of those electric signs. There were 2. First was at the ramp off US1 N where I595 and airport exits split...second was on the terminal road near T1 and the RCC. Said:

DELTA is now in TERMINAL 3

not to try to hijack my own thread here, but when did Delta discontinue FLL-BDL. I know its been a seasonal cut in the past, but they've been flying it in one form or another for DECADES. Even with jetBlue and Southwest on the route, I thought 1X daily would work as those flights ALWAYS left full in the winter.

Last edited by jco613; Jun 30, 11 at 12:21 pm
Old Jun 30, 11, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
I haven't found any mention of this in the local news (Sun Sentinel) or at the airport web site.

You can never tell with airlines. UA pulled completely out of FLL a few years back. DL used to have (more consistent) non-stops to LAX, LAS, and BOS.

AA announced non-stops FLL/JFK, Visions is servicing FLL-Louisville, and Virgin America moved in. Perhaps DL doesn't want to fight for a market where tickets are so very cheap. Good for them but bad for me.

Think about it. How many markets in the U.S. can cite the presence of so many low-fare carriers?* FLL has...

Southwest
AirTran (now WN, I know)
Visions
Spirit
Virgin America
Allegiant
Frontier
JetBlue

They keep prices low here in So. Florida but if you were an airline would you want to try to meet the prices these guys (collectively) offer?

*I'm serious. What other markets have 8 low-fare carriers? I really don't know and am curious. FLL has traditionally been the dream market for mileage runs.
Old Jun 30, 11, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jco613 View Post
It was one of those electric signs. There were 2. First was at the ramp off US1 N where I595 and airport exits split...second was on the terminal road near T1 and the RCC. Said:

DELTA is now in TERMINAL 3

not to try to hijack my own thread here, but when did Delta discontinue FLL-BDL. I know its been a seasonal cut in the past, but they've been flying it in one form or another for DECADES. Even with jetBlue and Southwest on the route, I thought 1X daily would work as those flights ALWAYS left full in the winter.
Somebody must have screwed the sign up... That implies that they are in Terminal 3 NOW (i.e. for drivers coming into the airport) - which is obviously not true
Old Jun 30, 11, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Out of my Element View Post
No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded.
Yes, way too extremely overcrowded. I don't think its possible to move out of entire T2.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: