Wiki Posts
Search

Who's your "other" program?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Plat, Nat'l Exec
Who's your "other" program?

I'm interested in seeing what Delta elites view as their secondary airline program... You know, for those times when Delta isn't an option. I've got a couple of trips coming up where Delta won't be an option. I've often wondered what other airline I should try to keep up my points and/or obtain status with. There's no way my travel would support three programs.

Out of CHA we have Delta, AA, and US Air. I don't consider Allegiant or Vision options. This is FT, so I'm sure we'll have many opinions.....

So if Delta isn't your primary program, who is? Why? If Delta is your primary program, who do you consider to be your secondary?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
I collect on Aegean so that I get the *G for a long period of time and easily (20K status miles!)

Once I make that, I credit to UA/CO because I have balances there - to keep them active and to maybe work toward a spoiling trip in SQ F or something
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
AA (was my # 2 now my #1)
DL
EK
CX
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
DL
UA (hate them but I live in ORD part-time and lvoe redeeming awards on *A partner carriers)
AA
PD
WN (for emergencies)
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL PM, Starwood gold, Fairmont plat
based near LAX, I use AS for my Seattle trips, DL for east-west. MVPG on AS, Plat on DL
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
My goal this year is the same one I had last year, which is to maintain Gold status on both DL and CO. This allows for flexibility but still Elite benefits when I travel. Once I hit that goal during the year, I'll usually fly more DL the rest of the year due to roll over MQMs.

I haven't been using US out of DAB, as it's pretty much all RJs now, and will usually fly out of MCO on CO or UA if travelling on a *A carrier.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
AA
CO

I was NYC based before... DTW Hub captive now
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:59 am

I have status through AmEx, which makes me a bit agnostic between DL, US and CO (through Sept). But I'll fly WN if they're the only direct flight (Denver, Las Vegas from RDU) and UA or AA if I'm paying and they're substantially less expensive (which never happens anymore).

That said, I've flown Delta 90% percent of the time in the last year. Their options on my specific routes, their domestic award availability and their constant top-notch mile-inflating promotions through AmEx work for me, although I understand the frustration of the non-AmEx or primarily international flyer.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Besides DL, CO, and that's it. I might have a few miles here and there, but those 2 are the only ones I really use/manage.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Out of ATL, FL is your only other choice with a comprehensive nonstop network.

A few years ago when they matched Elite status, I used them for a while when the only other option was ASA. The Elite status back then would get you free upgrades - I really didn't care about free flights.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Plat, Nat'l Exec
Looks like with my only options out of CHA being AA or US, most people choose AA so far... any US fans out there?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Based in ATL, so FL was my #2 airline. With the takeover, and my dislike of WN, I've stopped flying them. US/UA is now my #2. Between the two programs, I can get just about any airport in the country.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I've been 95% exclusive to DL but now am booking more than half of my international travel with United. UA's FF program is superior in several respects, particularly their SWU program. So, now I'm about 70% Delta, 30% United.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by TheBisch
I'm interested in seeing what Delta elites view as their secondary airline program... You know, for those times when Delta isn't an option. I've got a couple of trips coming up where Delta won't be an option. I've often wondered what other airline I should try to keep up my points and/or obtain status with. There's no way my travel would support three programs.

Out of CHA we have Delta, AA, and US Air. I don't consider Allegiant or Vision options. This is FT, so I'm sure we'll have many opinions.....

So if Delta isn't your primary program, who is? Why? If Delta is your primary program, who do you consider to be your secondary?
DL is my domestic carrier of choice (great service to/from LGA/JFK), but these days I use LH Miles & More (*Alliance) for most of my international travel. I find *A schedules and fares to be more convenient and more competitive to particular places where I fly, and I find LH to have good miles accumulation and redemption policies for people who travel often long-haul on premium fares. I can maintain *Gold status with about 4 or 5 international trips per year (and with my Lufthansa *G card, I can get into many *G lounges in the US when traveling domestically on *A carriers).

I used to be a UA Mileage+ member, but one day I looked at my account and realized I had about 140k miles in it and only 7k actual UA miles (rest was OZ and LH).

If you can stand US as your secondary carrier, *A has superior award redemption policies (IME, anyway) and *G status has great lounge access internationally.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold
Before 2009, I was 100% DL. ( Except for intra-Asia flights)

Starting in 2009, I started splitting my business between DL and CO.

For the last 2 years...

CO - 120,000+ per year
DL - 100,000 per year

But now waiting to see how the CO/UA merger goes. With the introduction of EC, DL came back into the mix for International travel. But too much is uncertain for me to throw all of my miles at one carrier

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.