Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by ryw
How often does FCM come out to be cheaper than C+? I have an upcoming SEA-YYC flight with the offer of $44 to first (and $78.48 to C+). I'm not sure it'll be worth the $44 to me on a relatively short flight (plus I think the SEA skyclub doesn't allow access based on flying in F on a Canadian itinerary anymore). I'm tempted to use miles to pay for it though...
Never seen it myself. F has always been more expensive.

Regarding the SkyClub, I don't see anything on the site restricting Canadian F itineraries for SEA.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I overheard recently in the DCA SkyClub a lady bragging about how she bought FC outright since the difference covered her checked luggage fees
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:14 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8

Regarding the SkyClub, I don't see anything on the site restricting Canadian F itineraries for SEA.
I was certainly surprised to see it myself!

Regarding the lounge access, there was a US-CAD skyclub thread (Skyclub access on US to CAD flight) has reports of a change in the skyclub access policies last year which suggests that International D1 provides skyclub access, but International First doesn't. (People on US-CAD flights in F have had mixed success getting lounge access, often as a "one time exemption"). I wish I had made Gold this year and it wouldn't be an issue! But perhaps it's worth the upgrade just to try my luck at the skyclub.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8

It’s pretty clear under the SkyClub access page on DL.com, however some posters on here keep arguing that there was no change, but others have reported that the scanners are rejecting them access which shows that paid FC to Canada doesn’t get assess anymore.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by ryw
How often does FCM come out to be cheaper than C+? I have an upcoming SEA-YYC flight with the offer of $44 to first (and $78.48 to C+). I'm not sure it'll be worth the $44 to me on a relatively short flight (plus I think the SEA skyclub doesn't allow access based on flying in F on a Canadian itinerary anymore). I'm tempted to use miles to pay for it though...
Haven't seen this firsthand myself, but I have definitely noticed C+ prices creeping (skyrocketing?!?) upwards, while FCM continues to come down. On some of my regular routes C+ is now 200-250% what is used to be, making F seem that much more attractive.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ekozie
Haven't seen this firsthand myself, but I have definitely noticed C+ prices creeping (skyrocketing?!?) upwards, while FCM continues to come down. On some of my regular routes C+ is now 200-250% what is used to be, making F seem that much more attractive.
which completely supports the DL RM objective of 70% (80%?) of F seats being purchased rather than upgraded
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

It’s pretty clear under the SkyClub access page on DL.com, however some posters on here keep arguing that there was no change, but others have reported that the scanners are rejecting them access which shows that paid FC to Canada doesn’t get assess anymore.
I think most of the people who said there was no change are those who have GM or above, because they can still access the club with their status + international flight.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I overheard recently in the DCA SkyClub a lady bragging about how she bought FC outright since the difference covered her checked luggage fees
I did this once back in college on AA. Was bringing two bags home (think it was winter break) and I was offered something like $50 for the upgrade and the 2x bags would've cost $60 or $65
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Just snagged D1 on ICN to ATL for $450. Paid $1200 RT for a PS ticket, so this was a great deal.

Interesting that it was $450 on the app, and $1400 on the desktop site.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
paid FC to Canada doesn’t get assess anymore.
So flights like ATL-UIO don't qualify either as it's not sold as D1?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by jrl767

which completely supports the DL RM objective of 70% (80%?) of F seats being purchased rather than upgraded
Zackly.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta DM
Is it possible to FCM to Premium Select and later still FCM further to D1? Ever since I took two FCM deals to G on DTW-NRT and back I no longer see them for D1.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Seems to be garden variety for me

OAK-SLC: $99 from K
SLC-MSP: $159 from K

...of course the fare difference to I was less than $200 so that's a nope. Trying out the whole "Medallion benefits" thing instead
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Is this a good deal?

Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
Is this a good deal?
Seems like a shocking deal
FLYPWM and strickerj like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.