Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA PPro
So I just requested a status match from AA and have my trips booked already in DL to make the minimums required to secure my silver medallion status once approved. I just went on the Delta app and my first trip is just under two weeks away. There is a message that says I can upgrade the ticket(s) for $109.01 USD per passenger incl taxes and fees (far, far, less than it would have cost at booking) or $41pp for C+. So this is 3 RT tickets with 1 connection each way. Am I really being offered 4 guaranteed flight upgrades for three passengers this far ahead for only $109/pp? If I take the upgrade is it like a check in paid LFBU with AA where the original purchased fare is all you get award and elite qualifying bonuses off of, or with DL does this actually increase the fare being offered and associated multipliers, ect?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by HiAperture
So I just requested a status match from AA and have my trips booked already in DL to make the minimums required to secure my silver medallion status once approved. I just went on the Delta app and my first trip is just under two weeks away. There is a message that says I can upgrade the ticket(s) for $109.01 USD per passenger incl taxes and fees (far, far, less than it would have cost at booking) or $41pp for C+. So this is 3 RT tickets with 1 connection each way. Am I really being offered 4 guaranteed flight upgrades for three passengers this far ahead for only $109/pp? If I take the upgrade is it like a check in paid LFBU with AA where the original purchased fare is all you get award and elite qualifying bonuses off of, or with DL does this actually increase the fare being offered and associated multipliers, ect?
No, this is more than likely the price of an UG for only one of your segments. (it sounds like you have 4 total segments) When you click on the offer, or just go into the seat map, it will give you the price of the UG per segment. The $109 offer is the lowest price of one of your segments, and the other will have a higher price. To answer your second question, yes as long as you don't purchase the offer at OLCI, your fare class will change for the flights you UG'd and you will receive more MQMs, MQDs, and RDM's for those segments.
HiAperture likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
No, this is more than likely the price of an UG for only one of your segments. (it sounds like you have 4 total segments) When you click on the offer, or just go into the seat map, it will give you the price of the UG per segment. The $109 offer is the lowest price of one of your segments, and the other will have a higher price. To answer your second question, yes as long as you don't purchase the offer at OLCI, your fare class will change for the flights you UG'd and you will receive more MQMs, MQDs, and RDM's for those segments.
Yes you were correct. When I actually click on it, that was a price for one segment, and then each of the other ones was also available as a separate charge. Altogether it doesn't end up being any cheaper than if I had bought them that way, but I guess on the plus side I could hand pick the segment(s) that would be most important to have an upgrade on.

*edit* on the website the option to upgrade actually denotes the segment being offered for the price, on the app it does not give that distinction.

Last edited by HiAperture; Jul 12, 2019 at 5:59 am
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:07 pm

SEA-PDX one way tix on an x fare. Two weeks out, 8 F seats available and 18 C+ seats. FCM to F is $63.99, to C+ is $98.65!! Hopefully nobody snags that great deal to C+ before me You would think DL would have some sort of checks in their system so that they don't present offers that make them look dumb.
Hoyaheel and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by The Situation
SEA-PDX one way tix on an x fare. Two weeks out, 8 F seats available and 18 C+ seats. FCM to F is $63.99, to C+ is $98.65!! Hopefully nobody snags that great deal to C+ before me You would think DL would have some sort of checks in their system so that they don't present offers that make them look dumb.
I'm seeing the same thing on a flight to and from YYZ. First is 20 bucks cheaper than C+. Delta does some strange things.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-ORD-LGA
9,300 miles each way
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: Delta PM
DL 2714. 7/19/19. Main Cabin (K) booked.
LAX-ATL
28,300 miles

777ER modded with Delta One suites. I immediately took this upgrade to try out the 777 suites for the first time! I took a window seat (even rows) on the left side of the plane so that my side table in on my right hand side.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by BradleyFlyer
DL 2714. 7/19/19. Main Cabin (K) booked.
LAX-ATL
28,300 miles

777ER modded with Delta One suites. I immediately took this upgrade to try out the 777 suites for the first time! I took a window seat (even rows) on the left side of the plane so that my side table in on my right hand side.
if one has a good chunk of miles like I’m sure a lot of us do, these mileage upgrades are awesome.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

if one has a good chunk of miles like I’m sure a lot of us do, these mileage upgrades are awesome.
They are awesome in that I don't really need all these miles, but terrible in that my I feel forced to buy them now because I don't get upgraded like the old days.
Although, I'd love to book a D1 international award ticket with my wife but if I keep draining my miles for these upgrades that way I have been it's not going to happen.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DCAhome
I don't normally bite for these offers. I figure that if I wanted first I would buy first, and I should be happy for those upgrades I get for free.

But, I have an offer that looks good. I'm flying JFK-AUA (Aruba) on 1/10/2020. It's a 5 hour flight and the upgrade offer is $179. It works out to roughly $35/hour, and from what I see here the typical threshold is $100/hour.

Thoughts?
Did you bite on this? I see the same one for my trip from AUA-JFK and am wondering if it's worth it...
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
Not yet. Still debating.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
$59 for JFK - YYZ. Inside the PM window with F4 on a CR9.

C+ is virtually empty so definitely declining, even if I don't clear I'll have C+ row to myself, not worth the $59 for the short flight (especially with offers on other longer flights I'm still considering)
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Ordhater
Data point. I had that exact offer on ATL-SEA for a Sunday afternoon flight last month. I didn’t take it because I have three RUCs about to expire and hoped to use one on this leg. It didn’t clear; all the seats sold.
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Good to know. Mine is on a middle of the week day and there was RUC space on it, but by the time I booked it was gone (same # of seats for sale, just the OY space went away)

Worse case I'll SDC but I'm not paying DL another penny

Not surprised with yours being a Sunday as that is a very busy day especially for cross country travel when an entire day can be gobbled up just for travel
Update / data point on my end: The offer to upgrade SEA-ATL for $222 or 22,300 miles disappeared about 4 days prior to departure.

Today, about 48 hours prior to departure, my RUC waitlist request cleared with 5 empty seats prior to me clearing. Lucky me
Ordhater likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
we are ~10 days out; the $239/22k RDM offer is still live, and the 764 cabin is down to 9 unassigned seats
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:57 pm
GRG

Programs: DL SM
A few days ago I used miles to book an award flight from TVC-MSY with a stop in DTW (my first time using miles to book a flight). The offer to upgrade to F was $74 from TVC-DTW and $119 from DTW-MSY. I'm not sure I want to pay $74 for F out of TVC since the flight to DTW isn't even an hour long. There's also a C+ upgrade offer which is only $19 for the first leg. Would I be able to take the C+ offer for TVC-DTW and the F offer for DTW-MSY or do I have to fly in the same cabin the entire trip? It seems Delta's website will let me pick both C+ and F, but I don't want to proceed only to find out it's going to be a problem.

Last edited by GRG; Jul 14, 2019 at 7:04 pm Reason: added info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.