Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I wasn’t entirely clear ... using $$ to FCM a non-refundable coach ticket results in a reissue, but the RULES of the original ticket (e.g., $200 fee for change or cancellation) remain in place — it’s just as if you had purchased the I/Z/D ticket at the outset
Old May 25, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
it’s just as if you had purchased the I/Z/D ticket at the outset
I don't think that's totally true. If you try to change or cancel that ticket, you will only get back (in a credit) the value of the original coach ticket less the change fee. The money or miles spent to upgrade is entirely lost, unless you call and plead your case.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Old May 30, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
RDU - LGA , CR9 $44 (about 4 weeks out)
LGA - RDU, CR9 $44 (about 4 weeks out)
RDU - AUS, CR9 $99 (about 6 weeks out)
AUS - ATL - RDU, A321 $200 for combined purchase (about 6 weeks out)

The $44 is tempting but midweek RDU - LGA I'll take my chances on the PM upgrade and be fine with the C+ and free drink for a short flight if it doesn't clear.

RDU - AUS is very tempting at $99 -- if I needed the MQMs I would be all over it but it's the MQDs I really need (thanks to MQM rollover) so saving some of my incremental for a potential MQD partner run later in the year
Old May 30, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
Someone at Revenue Management is crazy. For a trip next Wednesday -
PSC-SEA (175 miles) - $164
SEA-JFK - $993
JFK-SYR - N/A (on CRJ)
the following week -
YOW-YYZ - N/A (on WestJet DH-400)
YYZ-SLC - $139
SLC-PSC - $84

$165 for a less than 30 minute flight where at best you get coach snacks and a drink!!
Almost an extra $1000 for SEA-JFK?

Wow. On an H fare so not a bargain fare. PSC-SEA has 9 empty seats on a E175, selling Z fares for $207. PSC-JFK is $404 for L and $623 for I on the same flights. Adding SYR bumps coach and F fares by about $200 each.

Last edited by Paplover; May 31, 2019 at 12:44 pm
Old May 31, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
DL was asking 12/28 $400 MSP-SJU and 1/4 $890 SJU-MSP. Just both for $194 each way so total of $388. Best price value on FCM ever for me. 5+ hour flight each way.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: Delta Gold
BOS-SEA-ANC this August. Was offered an upgrade to F on the SEA-ANC leg for $120 or 12k miles - jumped on that mileage deal, felt it was definitely worth it for a 3.5 hour flight!

(The C+ upgrade was 10,400 miles.)
strickerj and JoelThomas like this.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by Paplover
Someone at Revenue Management is crazy. For a trip next Wednesday -
PSC-SEA (175 miles) - $164
SEA-JFK - $993
JFK-SUR - N/A (on CRJ)
the following week -
YOW-YYZ - N/A (on WestJet DH-400)
YYZ-SLC - $139
SLC-PSC - $84

$165 for a less than 30 minute flight where at best you get coach snacks and a drink!!
Almost an extra $1000 for SEA-JFK?

Wow. On an H fare so not a bargain fare. PSC-SEA has 9 empty seats on a E175, selling Z fares for $207. PSC-JFK is $404 for L and $623 for I on the same flights. Adding SYR bumps coach and F fares by about $200 each.
Yeah That's crazy. I've been buying up on PSC-SEA for like $29 which gets you 2 checked bags + skypriority all the way to your final destination, even if you're flying PSC-SEA-BOS.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jrl767
I asked the PM line about this a couple weeks ago; the agent said using miles is considered a “seat upgrade” (i.e., non-refundable, since the ticket wouldn’t actually get reissued) ... paying $$ for the upgrade generates a new ticket in the higher fare class, and the entire value retains the non-refundable basis of the original ticket
Wait - I thought using miles for FCM was essentially a PWM thing, and would result in reticketing in the premium cabin fare class.

Does this mean using miles for an FCM offer also does not result in front-cabin SDC rules and MQM earning? I'm considering paying 6900 RDM for an upcoming short hop but will dish out $70 instead as I'm mostly doing it for SDC flexibility.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:51 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by gooselee
Wait - I thought using miles for FCM was essentially a PWM thing, and would result in reticketing in the premium cabin fare class.

Does this mean using miles for an FCM offer also does not result in front-cabin SDC rules and MQM earning? I'm considering paying 6900 RDM for an upcoming short hop but will dish out $70 instead as I'm mostly doing it for SDC flexibility.
Recent DPs seem to be that you get 150% MQMs.

Purchased Upgrade with Miles
gooselee likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Zorak
Recent DPs seem to be that you get 150% MQMs.

Purchased Upgrade with Miles
I feel that this needs to be a wiki post on this forum somewhere since this question gets asked so often.

If original ticket was purchased with cash or PWM:
- Upgrading with $ or miles will result in the 150% MQM bonus if FCM offer was purchased before OLCI
- Extra MQDs will be earned for the cash portion of the UG cost.
- New ticket will be considered FC fare for SDC purposes as long as the UG was purchased before OLCI.

If original ticket was an award ticket (not PWM):
- No bonus MQMs are awarded if using miles or cash
- MQDs will be earned for the cash amounts used for UGs.
- New ticket will be considered a FC fare for SDC purposes as long as the UG was purchased before OLCI.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I feel that this needs to be a wiki post on this forum somewhere since this question gets asked so often.
I did copy that post into a wiki on that thread, and also suggested via the mod button that it be merged with another recent miles upgrade thread.

​​​​I'm agnostic on whether it's a distinct enough topic to avoid being merged into *this* thread but at least a pointer to it could be put into this thread's wiki...

</meta>
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Duke787
RDU - LGA , CR9 $44 (about 4 weeks out)
LGA - RDU, CR9 $44 (about 4 weeks out)
RDU - AUS, CR9 $99 (about 6 weeks out)
AUS - ATL - RDU, A321 $200 for combined purchase (about 6 weeks out)

The $44 is tempting but midweek RDU - LGA I'll take my chances on the PM upgrade and be fine with the C+ and free drink for a short flight if it doesn't clear.

RDU - AUS is very tempting at $99 -- if I needed the MQMs I would be all over it but it's the MQDs I really need (thanks to MQM rollover) so saving some of my incremental for a potential MQD partner run later in the year
I'm glad to see the RDU-NYC for $44 deal is back. I bought one for a LGA-RDU flight on a Thursday a few weeks back and I boarded with some DMs whose upgrade didn't clear. For $44, the extra MQM, snack basket and a couple of drinks and I've got my money back
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:16 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Randomly checked a trip in less than 2 months out and MSP-HND is ~$350 to business (from premium select), is it a no brainer to upgrade now or should I wait to see if it'll drop more?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jix
Randomly checked a trip in less than 2 months out and MSP-HND is ~$350 to business (from premium select), is it a no brainer to upgrade now or should I wait to see if it'll drop more?
I certainly wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. How much more would is it likely to drop? And even if you missed out on saving $50, I can't imagine the possibility of saving $50 is worth the possibility of it either going up or going away all together.

$350 comes out to ~$30/hour

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.