Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
A cash price (including the $50 credit) of $488 r/t for a relatively long domestic F trip is very good. I would take it before it is gone. I would personally spend cash and save the miles for a D1 award ticket (at least that's what I try to save my miles for).
Old May 2, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
The roundtrip fare difference is probably at least $300, so $139 is definitely in the right ballpark as xliioper notes. I would upgrade your husband and yourself and leave the boys together, they probably would have more fun by themselves anyways.

And like jdrtravel, I'd save the miles for award travel in F, but if you don't have enough miles for that, or want to use miles now, you're getting at least over a penny per mile. That flight is at least four and a half hours, so it's worth it.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by shmom
We have a IND- SEA flight in a few weeks. The prices were seriously low when I bought in March, $260 per person for main cabin (not basic) and the cruise line gave us an additional $50 credit per person. So $210 round trip which I thought was excellent.

I have been watching the upgrade cost. Now the first class cost has decreased to $139 each way or 13,000 miles while the Comfort Plus is $69 or 6,000 miles each way.

Would this be considered a good deal? Since we are a group of 4 that always makes things more expensive, or maybe I will upgrade and leave husband and boys in the back...
That is an excellent offer for the upgrade to F. Whether it’s worth it to you depends on your financial circumstances and how uncomfortable you will be in economy for that length of time, of course, but I would pay that without hesitation.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Depends how much you value the space...

...in this case (since you mention there are 4 of you), I would assume an upgrade should translate to no one sitting alone. In Y you have to do either 3 + 1 or 2+2 with at least 1 person sitting next to someone they don't know but in F you'll get 2-2 so either the two kids can sit together (and the parents can sit together) or a parent can sit with each kid (depending on age).

Plus any value you place on the meal and drinks would factor in.

In terms of miles vs. cash, depends on how frequently you earn and redeem miles and if you have other needs for them (if you are swimming miles, it's not the worst redemption -- sure you leave some value on the table but cash is cash, especially when you have to x4 for any purchase you are making).

Agree wouldn't pay C+
Old May 2, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: Delta. AA, National EE, HH
Originally Posted by AZwldcats
TUS-MSP

Was 694.xx on 4/09
435.xx on 4/10
748.xx on 4/11

Flight is on 5/11 so we will see how this goes.
What a difference a browser change does.
Two seperate browsers open at the same time.

Chrome (Which I always Use)

Logged in through Edge (no Miles Option)

Old May 2, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
I've bought-up to F on several occasions on 2-4 hour flights.
C+ is almost never worth it, particularly on flights where I can snag an exit row seat for free.

Only time I bought-up to C+ was for 5A on an E75 on DTW-DFW for $30 so I could be productive and comfortable on a 3 hour flight
Old May 3, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I don't see a mention of DL status or holding an Amex so presumably there are checked bag fees in play that would be avoided by the buy-up. That makes it an even better deal whether for all of just the parents checking all bags under their F tickets.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: Delta PM
ATL-IND 5/10
C+ $29, 2,700
First $84, 7,900
Old May 3, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Sorry, beach86. Wrong carrier, wrong FlyerTalk forum.
My goodness, sorry about that!
Old May 3, 2019, 7:00 am

Flying RT JFK to SFO in July. Was already in Delta One on the return home but wanted to upgrade my C+ seat to Delta One on the way out. The web offer was $963.05 or 89,000 miles. I called and it was $710 on the phone.

These offers continue to be a real mystery to me!

I wish I didn't prefer Delta since all the other carriers seem to be much cheaper on that route.

Old May 3, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by sonkie23

I agree

Fill out the survey in post 4552: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31060973-post4552.html
Old May 3, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
BOS-JFK 5/22 $63.99/6,000
JFK-DFW 5/22 $354.75/33,000

The joke here is that both of these are Delta Connection flights, and neither flight has a meal.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by sonkie23
Flying RT JFK to SFO in July. Was already in Delta One on the return home but wanted to upgrade my C+ seat to Delta One on the way out. The web offer was $963.05 or 89,000 miles. I called and it was $710 on the phone.

I wish I didn't prefer Delta since all the other carriers seem to be much cheaper on that route.

Most likely that was a straight upfare. Delta allows free (no change fee) upgrades to higher fare classes. So you were likely reticketed straight into a D1 fare rather than a formal "FCM upgrade".

While I am sure original fare class does somehow feed into the algorithm for what offers are shown to whom, it does not consider this directly. For example, if I buy a round trip $1300 Y ticket and the F ticket is $1700, it would only cost me $400 to upfare. But I may see an FCM offer for $369 each way for a total round trip cost (to FCM upgrade to F) for $2038. In this case a re-fare is much cheaper.

A lot of times FCM makes sense if you buy very cheap coach tickets because it is truly cheaper than buying F outright. If you buy a lot of close-in fares, I have never found them to be a compelling offer as I have never seen FCM upgrades be cheaper than just re-faring into F/J.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by diburning
BOS-JFK 5/22 $63.99/6,000
JFK-DFW 5/22 $354.75/33,000

The joke here is that both of these are Delta Connection flights, and neither flight has a meal.
I thought for sure JFK-DFW would be 1400+ miles, but you're right.. 9 miles short.

I'd be pretty cranky on not getting a meal on a daytime flight in F on a flight with over 4 hour block time.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: Blinged Out
MEM -LAX $166 to F from a T-fare
LAX -SJC - $30 to F from a T-fare

I took it- probably would have been upgraded, but guaranteed myself a non-bulkhead on a 738...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.