Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: DL - PM
Originally Posted by Cameron B
Flight in September on a Sunday from MCO-SLC-LAS. One-way upgrade offer on these segments currently $213 or 19,900 SM. Half tempted on this one for me and my fiancé. The return from LAS-SLC-MCO is closer to $700 on the offer.

Then again, I suppose I could just keep my Comfort+ seats and chance it on the upgrade that late in the year too. Thoughts?
in my experience SLC-MCO is a very tough upgrade because first class usually sells out. I’d pounce.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
MSP to MCO offer is $174. Seems reasonable.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by lucycan
MSP to MCO offer is $174. Seems reasonable.
I would line up for that like it was Space Mountain.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta Gold
Originally Posted by alanstar
JFK-BOS this Sunday for only $628.37. What a deal!
Price dropped to $63.99 today,
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: DL DM
Wichita-ATL, $99 or 9,300mi. F had 2 seats open. I took the FCM, On the outbound, I was given 5k SM for mechanical delays, so net cost was low.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, AA Plat Pro, F9 Elite 100k
Originally Posted by Ordhater

in my experience SLC-MCO is a very tough upgrade because first class usually sells out. I’d pounce.
I haven't personally done the MCO-SLC flights yet since becoming a PM, so I appreciate your feedback. Would you agree that it's wiser to take the $129 for this flight and save the $84 on the SLC-LAS leg, or would you be inclined to do the $213 for a reason unbeknownst to me?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL - PM
I haven't personally done the MCO-SLC flights yet since becoming a PM, so I appreciate your feedback. Would you agree that it's wiser to take the $129 for this flight and save the $84 on the SLC-LAS leg, or would you be inclined to do the $213 for a reason unbeknownst to me?
For me, an extra $84 is too much for a 300 mile flight, but others may disagree.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL DM/2 MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Flight in September on a Sunday from MCO-SLC-LAS. One-way upgrade offer on these segments currently $213 or 19,900 SM. Half tempted on this one for me and my fiancé. The return from LAS-SLC-MCO is closer to $700 on the offer.

Then again, I suppose I could just keep my Comfort+ seats and chance it on the upgrade that late in the year too. Thoughts?
I'd definitely take $213 on MCO-SLC-LAS. It's much easier to do the same day confirmed change for a better flight combination, and you'll be automatically rebooked into F in case of irregular operations.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SFOandNRT
I'd definitely take $213 on MCO-SLC-LAS. It's much easier to do the same day confirmed change for a better flight combination, and you'll be automatically rebooked into F in case of irregular operations.
It depends on your flexibility if SDC makes sense. Otherwise, just stick with the longer leg, and hope the upgrade clears SLC-LAS. I'd also look at flight loads, but as it's a shorter flight, I probably wouldn't pull the trigger on that leg.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Price dropped to $63.99 today,
That's a big difference. What's the flight load like?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, AA Plat Pro, F9 Elite 100k
Originally Posted by MarkP24
It depends on your flexibility if SDC makes sense. Otherwise, just stick with the longer leg, and hope the upgrade clears SLC-LAS. I'd also look at flight loads, but as it's a shorter flight, I probably wouldn't pull the trigger on that leg.
I ended up taking the $129 offer. I'm willing to roll the dice on the LAS segment, and Comfort+ will work just fine on such a short haul. Honestly shocked to see the offer I did for the MCO-SLC leg. Can't really figure out Delta and this FCM stuff. The return flight from SLC-MCO has same amount of seats currently booked in F and they are trying to sell just that leg for $424.63.

For a while I thought the strategy may be to start selling a few seats cheaply in order to create a sense of fear of missing out for upgraders, which in turn could get some higher prices from people as inventory dwindled, but given the return leg I'm being offered is so high in comparison with the same F seats booked prior to purchase, I'm starting to re-think that theory.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Originally Posted by MarkP24
That's a big difference. What's the flight load like?
I don't have EF access, but seat map shows about 40 empty seats in economy, plus 6 C+ and 5 F seats. Flight 1274 this coming Sunday.
Maybe the original $600+ was a mistake, and it was always supposed to be $64? Dunno...
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:21 pm

I ended up taking the $129 offer. I'm willing to roll the dice on the LAS segment, and Comfort+ will work just fine on such a short haul. Honestly shocked to see the offer I did for the MCO-SLC leg. Can't really figure out Delta and this FCM stuff. The return flight from SLC-MCO has same amount of seats currently booked in F and they are trying to sell just that leg for $424.63.

For a while I thought the strategy may be to start selling a few seats cheaply in order to create a sense of fear of missing out for upgraders, which in turn could get some higher prices from people as inventory dwindled, but given the return leg I'm being offered is so high in comparison with the same F seats booked prior to purchase, I'm starting to re-think that theory.
Personally that's what I would've done as well. The pricing is based on algorithms.

I don't have EF access, but seat map shows about 40 empty seats in economy, plus 6 C+ and 5 F seats. Flight 1274 this coming Sunday.
Maybe the original $600+ was a mistake, and it was always supposed to be $64? Dunno...
As you're a Gold, if you want to sit in F, I would probably buy up, especially as the price is right. But as it's a short flight, there's no harm in waiting it out especially with that flight load.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: Delta. AA, National EE, HH
Originally Posted by AZwldcats
TUS-MSP

Was 694.xx on 4/09
435.xx on 4/10
748.xx on 4/11

Flight is on 5/11 so we will see how this goes.
Today First completely disappeared as an option.

Test Booking (I know not reliable) shows 5 of 16 seats taken.

Twitter also says First not available,
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by AZwldcats
Today First completely disappeared as an option.

Test Booking (I know not reliable) shows 5 of 16 seats taken.

Twitter also says First not available,
remember it’s Schedule Change Saturday
AeRoSpaceman and AZwldcats like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.