Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: DL SM, DL Amex Plat, Hilton Silver
This is a record low, should I jump on it?!

Might be worth noting that despite seeing my selected C+ seat I get the friendly yet slightly panic-inducing message next to this offer of: "Advisory Message:Uh-oh! We're sorry but we are not currently able to assign a seat in your class of service. Seat availability can change, so please check back later. If you do not have a seat assignment, a seat will be assigned at check in or at the gate prior to boarding."

Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by SFOandNRT
I was offered just $225 upgrade to F from a cheap V-class fare on SEA-KOA in May, and took it.
Meh,
West Coast to HI F is the most underwhelming product for all US carriers. Old planes, mediocre food and FA's that think they are also on vacation. I don't think I would pay that much regardless of how long the flight is.

And looking at some random dates SEA-KOA, round trip from cheapest coach to first was only a $400 difference so you probably only paid the difference on a one way anyway.

Last edited by BusTrav8yrs; Apr 4, 2019 at 10:32 am
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Meh,
West Coast to HI F is the most underwhelming product for all US carriers. Old planes, mediocre food and FA's that think they are also on vacation. I don't think I would pay that much regardless of how long the flight is.

And looking at some random dates SEA-KOA, round trip from cheapest coach to first was only a $400 difference so you probably only paid the difference on a one way anyway.
That's about a 6 hour flight; for the extra space, a meal, and slightly better treatment, I think almost anyone on this board at least would take that. Even if half the cost of the fare difference, could upgrade yourself and spouse for the cost of one F buy up.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I saw a post from someone (not on here) saying that a trick to get a lower/decent FCM offer is to remove your Skymiles number from the reservation and the App will tend to give you lower FCM offers. Has anyone tried this?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I saw a post from someone (not on here) saying that a trick to get a lower/decent FCM offer is to remove your Skymiles number from the reservation and the App will tend to give you lower FCM offers. Has anyone tried this?
People attempting to give way too much credit to DL IT's sophistication. From what I've seen, the price solely varies with the availability in the FC/J fare buckets and your route. And has nothing to do with your original purchase price/fare class, and nothing to do with your status. It'd be fairly easy to crowdsource and prove/disprove this (by posting the bucket availability in F on your flight). I had a flight last year where my son (no status) was on an award ticket and I was on a separate revenue fare and we had the exact same offer - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29382394-post.html

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 5, 2019 at 10:56 am
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
delete

Last edited by mnbp; Apr 4, 2019 at 7:17 pm
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:59 pm

Two questions:

1) Is there a known difference in the quantity or quality of FCM offers presented at Check-in through the mobile app vs desktop?
2) For a two-leg (or more) outbound itinerary, are offers presented for all legs (if available) when checking in at the T-24 window for leg #1 ? In my case, Leg #1 is domestic, Leg #2 is international. All DL metal.

Thanks!
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: Delta Gold
BOS-DTW tomorrow, offered $119/11,900 miles for F. Tempting, but its only a 2-hour flight in the middle of the day, and I already have an C+ exit row aisle seat. Still....
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by alanstar
BOS-DTW tomorrow, offered $119/11,900 miles for F. Tempting, but its only a 2-hour flight in the middle of the day, and I already have an C+ exit row aisle seat. Still....
I would pass with a C+ exit row aisle on that flight. You'll already have free booze in C+ and there is no guarantee of a PDB and you won't have a meal service. I'd spend the $119 on a nice meal and drinks in Boston.
alanstar, Duke787 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:00 am

One last bump of my question above before I check-in this afternoon:

1) Is there a known difference in the quantity or quality of FCM offers presented at Check-in through the mobile app vs desktop?
2) For a two-leg (or more) outbound itinerary, are offers presented for all legs (if available) when checking in at the T-24 window for leg #1 ? In my case, Leg #1 is domestic, Leg #2 is international. All DL metal.

Any anecdotes on these topics would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Apparently, 4,000 people a day are stupid enough to pay the up-sell offers we mock.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/bad-news-free-delta-upgrades/
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Apparently, 4,000 people a day are stupid enough to pay the up-sell offers we mock.

The good news is that if people are stupid enough to take up these terrible offers, they will drain their mileage accounts and this won’t be an issue for very long hopefully.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I wonder if these are people with hundreds of thousands (or millions) of miles, people who have a modest number, perhaps from a credit card bonus, and are excited about the opportunity to fly first, or a mix of both...
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I wonder if these are people with hundreds of thousands (or millions) of miles, people who have a modest number, perhaps from a credit card bonus, and are excited about the opportunity to fly first, or a mix of both...
Both.

I for one am curious about a cash FCM offer in this case.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:05 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider

To put this in perspective, the corporate facts page says 180MM annual pax, so 4k/day is less than 1%. Also they aren't always ludicrously priced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.