Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium

I'm dead.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by mojo2121
Fair enough - mostly looking for a reasonable target on something being a decent deal or not. Thanks!
i did that exact upgrade back in Jan on MSP-SFO, paid with miles and felt worth it
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Was offered $160 again on SEA - RDU -- was tempted but declined (don't need the MQM as of now) and ultimately got the PM upgrade anyway so glad I saved the money
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: DL PM
Tempting but probably not worth it...

Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by ElliottMB
Tempting but probably not worth it...

A perfect example of how bad the pricing is with this buy-up scheme. With that many empty seats, Delta could drop the price to $500 and fill them in 5 minutes with diamonds and platinums. $949-ish is a couple hundred bucks more than I'd pay. I don't think I would go over $650.
KenTarmac, strickerj and MCO Flyer like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
A perfect example of how bad the pricing is with this buy-up scheme. With that many empty seats, Delta could drop the price to $500 and fill them in 5 minutes with diamonds and platinums. $949-ish is a couple hundred bucks more than I'd pay. I don't think I would go over $650.
I'd consider paying this for DTW-Aisa on an A350. Maybe.

Then again, if I'm on a $600 off-peak TATL ticket or something, paying $900 on both flights puts the total price to $2400. Pretty good for TATL J (plus you get the MQMs).
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LTPPE
Monetization $ different for same itinerary

The last few times that I booked travel via work (Concur), the 1st Class upgrade cost for both miles and dollars was very steep ($1300 MSN to TPA with open cabins (confirmed via ExpertFlyer). However if I did a dummy booking for the same itinerary, the upgrade cost was at least 50%, or less. I did call Delta and was quoted a figure that was comparable to the personal booking. Thoughts on why this is happening?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Saycheese
The last few times that I booked travel via work (Concur), the 1st Class upgrade cost for both miles and dollars was very steep ($1300 MSN to TPA with open cabins (confirmed via ExpertFlyer). However if I did a dummy booking for the same itinerary, the upgrade cost was at least 50%, or less. I did call Delta and was quoted a figure that was comparable to the personal booking. Thoughts on why this is happening?
Convenient "click here" online buy-ups are a market with a captive audience where only the seller has perfect information (the seller knows who the customer is, and also knows what the current market price is), while new bookings are a market with public information and competitive alternatives. Why would anyone be surprised that the convenient "click here" online buy-up is more expensive?
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LTPPE
Interesting thoughts and do not disagree. However, I did the dummy booking immediately after ticketing and was logged in to Delta. The less expensive up-sell was at the very end of booking vs ticketed (which many have noted previously) so that could be ta factor. The surprise is the amount of the difference...

I'll keep monitoring to see if the trend continues and call the desk if I want to buy up and there is a big differnece.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Saycheese
Interesting thoughts and do not disagree. However, I did the dummy booking immediately after ticketing and was logged in to Delta. The less expensive up-sell was at the very end of booking vs ticketed (which many have noted previously) so that could be ta factor. The surprise is the amount of the difference...

I'll keep monitoring to see if the trend continues and call the desk if I want to buy up and there is a big differnece.
This often happens to me with my Concur bookings. I assume it's related to my underlying fare class being a corporate fare so the system-generated buy-up is skewed.

I always call when this happens and have never had an issue (and they always waive the upcharge fee).
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: DL SM, DL Amex Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Was this price offered on a paid ticket or an award ticket? Wondering if I'll ever see something like this on the intl leg of my upcoming award flight. I see the domestic positioning leg has a cash upgrade offer (again, all an award ticket) but zilch on the int' leg.

Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by WWads
I'd consider paying this for DTW-Aisa on an A350. Maybe.

Then again, if I'm on a $600 off-peak TATL ticket or something, paying $900 on both flights puts the total price to $2400. Pretty good for TATL J (plus you get the MQMs).
I know this is a total YMMV situation, but don't pretty much all of the DTW-Asia route arrive late afternoon/early evening? The TATL upgrades are way more valuable because they all land in the morning, and no sleep on in the air makes for a rough day on the ground. My TPAC strategy (for flights arriving in the early evening) is just to power through the flight and pass out from 8 PM to 7 AM local time. Wake up feeling refreshed and now at least "somewhat" in sync with the local time.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass

Comic relief
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by koreanair720

Comic relief
$850 and change for Detroit–Baltimore is absurd. It's one of the worst examples of first-class monetization that I've seen.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:01 pm

SEA-SFO roundtrip for 15K miles next weekend.

Current offer is $85 each way for F. I think it's a great deal, but F is completely empty, so I'll wait for upgrade.
​​​

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.