Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I'd pay $235 for 6 1/2 hours in first-class, especially if you can do a same-day change and do MCO–JFK–SEA for the maximum number of MQMs.

Then again, I'm the guy who booked Detroit DTW–Cincinnati CVG–Washington DCA–Madison–New York LGA–Columbus CMH.
I found it to be reasonable, considering that its basically a transcon flight. There are only 6 FC seats left and I figured itd be worth it to not have to constantly refresh the UG list. I'm only a GM so it's not likely that I'd have gotten the UG on a Monday AM flight to a hub.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Zorak
It's the code for IAD/DCA/BWI collectively.
I really wish airlines that allow the use of WAS, NYC, CHI, LON, TYO, and the like would adopt a similar schema for LAX/SNA/LGB/BUR/ONT, SFO/SJC/OAK (Alaska is the outlier here; their website accepts BAY for "Bay Area" and returns search results for all three airports), MIA/FLL/PBI, et al
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by aacar
DTW-LGA: $853.55

Um...thanks?
I remember when it used to only be like a $75 difference for NYC/DTW. I'm seeing that kind of fare difference a lot lately on that route. Fine with me, makes my upgrade changes a lot better when they are charging that kind of upgrade fee and if Delta can find people willing to pay $850 to upgrade to first class more power to them and those passengers deserve to sit up front.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I remember when it used to only be like a $75 difference for NYC/DTW. I'm seeing that kind of fare difference a lot lately on that route. Fine with me, makes my upgrade changes a lot better when they are charging that kind of upgrade fee and if Delta can find people willing to pay $850 to upgrade to first class more power to them and those passengers deserve to sit up front.
I couldn't make it up on my hourly rate, but I know a couple people who charge $300-$500 an hour. They could easily fly the 90-minute flight and make up most or all of the upgrade cost in billable hours by doing some "work" on the flight.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
DTW-SEA $929 as enticing as that is, I think I'll pass.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Umm, no.

I was looking at a booking for a friend, who needs to travel from Washington, D.C. to Taiwan. The economy airfare was $1,250.03 on Delta.com. At booking, I was given an outrageous buy-up offer of $22,938 for "flex business."

Who the hell pays that?

For what it's worth, I can buy legit international first-class for $13,000 and change.

MarkP24 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Umm, no.

I was looking at a booking for a friend, who needs to travel from Washington, D.C. to Taiwan. The economy airfare was $1,250.03 on Delta.com. At booking, I was given an outrageous buy-up offer of $22,938 for "flex business."

Who the hell pays that?

For what it's worth, I can buy legit international first-class for $13,000 and change.

People that want a fully-refundable business class ticket out of Washington DC. Which I'm guessing is a good number congress critters.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hi55us
People that want a fully-refundable business class ticket out of Washington DC. Which I'm guessing is a good number congress critters.
I doubt anyone is paying Delta $22,000 and change. That's just stupid, not least because Delta limits how many miles you earn. As a result, there is absolutely no reason to spend that kind of money on Delta, especially when other airlines are selling better business-class products and even international first-class for less money.

And anyways, United seems to be approved by the GSA for Washington–Taiwan.

Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
At this point I think it's well known that the hamster wheels running DL IT frequently produce nonsensical and ludicrous FCM results; I suggest that it may not be necessary to document every instance we encounter in this thread.

But if it makes people happy to continue doing so I guess I won't stand in the way. Carry on...
hi55us and MarkP24 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Zorak
At this point I think it's well known that the hamster wheels running DL IT frequently produce nonsensical and ludicrous FCM results; I suggest that it may not be necessary to document every instance we encounter in this thread.

But if it makes people happy to continue doing so I guess I won't stand in the way. Carry on...
The $23k is a pretty outlandish offer....
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:50 pm
Suspended

I just received a buy-up for domestic first-class on an A319 from Baltimore to Detroit for $638.55 or 59,400 miles. For what it's worth, there are 2 empty first-class seats. I want my upgrade but I'm not crazy.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Feb 6, 2019 at 4:12 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jrl767
I really wish airlines that allow the use of WAS, NYC, CHI, LON, TYO, and the like would adopt a similar schema for LAX/SNA/LGB/BUR/ONT, SFO/SJC/OAK (Alaska is the outlier here; their website accepts BAY for "Bay Area" and returns search results for all three airports), MIA/FLL/PBI, et al
Sometimes QLA, QSF and QMI used to work for these regions, but those seem to have gone out of favor and I'm not aware of a major site where they are still used I too would like to see them come back, although some random airport in Algeria seems to be using QSF now...
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
FCM With Miles Now Available In the App

I just checked my reservation in the DL app and it looks like the ablility to UG with miles is now available in the app as well. Here is the offer for my upcoming MLB-DCA flight. (The offer pictured is just for the ATL-DCA segment)

Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: LH, DL
ATL <-> PIT $670 (MD88)
LAX - DCA $965 (lie flat 757 leaving 8AM)
MSP - LAX $492
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Ok, this is just fun.

UG to FC from X on ATL to YYZ for 8,900 (I thought it was a good enough deal, and I'm GM now...).

But, then there is the YYZ-CVG-LAX. NO FC on YYZ-CVG seat 1A is C+, but WOW on the CVG-LAX.

The flight is on April 1st, is it possibly an April Fools joke?
11 of 16 seats still available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.