Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
I'm flying MSP-HND Monday and have not gotten a FCM offer to PS. I see 25 open seats. Wonder how many miles it would cost to upgrade to PS.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Yes, but Delta is normally pretty good at coming up with a good marketing name. Upselling sounds bad. It's like the used car salesman who sells you tires you don't need or insurance.
LOL
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: ba silver
Originally Posted by Eddie98
I'm flying MSP-HND Monday and have not gotten a FCM offer to PS. I see 25 open seats. Wonder how many miles it would cost to upgrade to PS.
My suggestion is to call them today if there is no offer at online check-in. You might get a really low cash offer. I just flew that route last week in PS, with my first flight originating in Montreal and booked a month in advance though for $100 Canadian more than economy. If it' s only a couple of hundred it' s well worth it. The flight was amazing. IMO Delta PS on a overseas flight is on the same level or better than any non-premium domestic first or business flight. As a matter of fact some of the flight attendants who have been with Delta for a long time say that PS reminds them of what business class was like in the early eighties, with Delta One being even better than what first used to be back then. safe travels.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
My suggestion is to call them today if there is no offer at online check-in. You might get a really low cash offer. I just flew that route last week in PS, with my first flight originating in Montreal and booked a month in advance though for $100 Canadian more than economy. If it' s only a couple of hundred it' s well worth it. The flight was amazing. IMO Delta PS on a overseas flight is on the same level or better than any non-premium domestic first or business flight. As a matter of fact some of the flight attendants who have been with Delta for a long time say that PS reminds them of what business class was like in the early eighties, with Delta One being even better than what first used to be back then. safe travels.
No luck. DL wanted $1000 to upgrade to PS.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:12 am

Cash/Miles to upgrade

Just went to check on an upcoming trip and was offered the opportunity to upgrade with dollars or miles. I found the offer amusing (to say the least)

SDF to ATL (322 mile flight) - $649.30/60,400 miles

ATL to OMA (820 mile flight) - $106.30/9900 miles

OMA to ATL - $106.43/9900 miles

ATL to SDF - $84.93/7900 miles

Seems like a lot of miles/dollars to upgrade from SDF to ATL on the outbound!! Any reason other than load for the difference in the cost?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:46 am
bzn

Exploring the Upgrade With Miles feature of the website.

For one trip, upgrading a DC+ is actually more expensive than current pricing in first in either miles or dollars. That’s not even including the price of the DC+ ticket!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I just received a buy-up offer of $74.99 for Detroit DTW–Baltimore BWI. I've seen this $74.99 offer before for other 1-hour, 1 1/2-hour flights out of Detroit.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:17 pm

Long time lurker here and lowly Silver Medallion.

I just booked a RT LGA to DFW flight in Delta Comfort bc I can't expense FC for work. I typically just take advantage of whatever the upgrade is per leg. However, this time the upgrade was $300 more than a brand new RT FC ticket, not accounting for what had already been spent on the fare. So all in, my RT ticket would have been $1,500 for a ticket that was $800. I called Delta and a lovely agent upgraded me for around $300 total. :-:

Maybe I should call every time!
Air Houston likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Booked MCI-MSP-LAX-SFO-CVG-MCI (different travel days)
F is empty on every single one of these flights

Y fare was $529.
F fare was 1202. (average $224 upgrade per segment)

Individual route prices.
MCI-MSP - $74.18
MSP-LAX - $520.30

LAX-SFO - $84.93

SFO-CVG-$455.80
CVG-MCI - 95.68
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
There are some reasonable deals out there. I have a JFK-FRA flight this summer on a 767, and there was a FCM offer of $799 or 79,000 RDM. I took the bait for Mom and me to get Delta One seats over the pond, and thought that was a reasonable offer. Not a steal, but reasonable.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by kxc262
Booked MCI-MSP-LAX-SFO-CVG-MCI (different travel days)
F is empty on every single one of these flights

Y fare was $529.
F fare was 1202. (average $224 upgrade per segment)

Individual route prices.
MCI-MSP - $74.18
MSP-LAX - $520.30

LAX-SFO - $84.93

SFO-CVG-$455.80
CVG-MCI - 95.68
I guess the extra $10 for LAX–SFO is to cover the meal, assuming LAX–SFO is still one of the routes in which a meal -- albeit a wrap or something cold like that -- is served.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCAhome
There are some reasonable deals out there. I have a JFK-FRA flight this summer on a 767, and there was a FCM offer of $799 or 79,000 RDM. I took the bait for Mom and me to get Delta One seats over the pond, and thought that was a reasonable offer. Not a steal, but reasonable.
Technically, this is not first-class monetization since Delta doesn't have international first-class.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Technically, this is not first-class monetization since Delta doesn't have international first-class.
I was however, interesting as hell to learn about the price
DCAhome likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Took the bait tomorrow MCO LGA for $150ish. Was down to just 2 F seats and I value the space when needing to work.

Booked the ticket ~ 2 days ago and there were 6 left in f and I didn’t get a comp upgrade as a DM MM so the seats were selling
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:02 am
Suspended

Just received a first-class buy-up offer for Detroit DTW–Columbus CMH and CMH–DTW, both ways on a CRJ-700. $74.18 for each segment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.