Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Oh hell no.
Agreed.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MarkP24
They're offering $982 for PHX to JFK and it's not even D1.
People who are awash with miles that believe they are worth next to nothing will continue to take up offers like this.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:27 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
If people are actually coughing up 100k miles to upgrade on a midcon there won't be suckers awash with miles for very long
bubbashow, KenTarmac and MarkP24 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:28 pm
pvn
Suspended

honestly I doubt anyone is taking those offers and I don't really understand why people get so personally offended by them. of course they're ridiculous, that's the whole idea
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pvn
honestly I doubt anyone is taking those offers and I don't really understand why people get so personally offended by them. of course they're ridiculous, that's the whole idea
+1. And ridiculous FCM offers in all honesty will result in higher medallion upgrade rates.

Would people prefer undervalued FCMs that lead to upgrades being swiped?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:31 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Duke787
+1. And ridiculous FCM offers in all honesty will result in higher medallion upgrade rates.

Would people prefer undervalued FCMs that lead to upgrades being swiped?
Yup
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Yup
I had a weird one on MSN>ATL>MSY where it had been $86 for ATL>MSY and I wanted to do it so I could SDC that one to shorten my layover from 2.5 to 0.75 hours and I clicked through to purchase, went through and realized I got a new Amex # when they suspected fraud so I went downstairs and got my card. By then my session had expired and when I went back in it was $255 - not worth it. I checked a few more times all weekend and then it finally went down to $86 again and I snagged it. My hypothesis is that something in my click through told this fragile algorithm that demand was higher and so it set a higher price and 48 hours when it thought demand was gone it came back down. But that's pure conjecture. Just odd to immediately spike after a click through on it and then not go back down for 48 hours.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pvn
If people are actually coughing up 100k miles to upgrade on a midcon there won't be suckers awash with miles for very long
It's more like a transcon, but agreed!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Even Delta is calling their upgrades an "upsell"

Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:31 pm

Even Delta is calling their upgrades an "upsell"

Well that is what it is. It's an ancillary product they're upselling
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Well that is what it is. It's an ancillary product they're upselling
Yes, but Delta is normally pretty good at coming up with a good marketing name. Upselling sounds bad. It's like the used car salesman who sells you tires you don't need or insurance.
MarkP24 and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Yes, but Delta is normally pretty good at coming up with a good marketing name. Upselling sounds bad. It's like the used car salesman who sells you tires you don't need or insurance.
Because I'm sure so many people see the offer and think "YES I'M IN -- oh wait the URL says upsell, NEVERMIND!"
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:59 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by Duke787
Because I'm sure so many people see the offer and think "YES I'M IN -- oh wait the URL says upsell, NEVERMIND!"
yeah, even by hockeyinsider standards, this seems like a really weird thing to bellyache about. It's a URL, talking about "marketing names" isn't really relevant.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
I tried looking here and in the SDC/SDS thread, but could not find any information about Same-Day Standby Upgrades easily. Does anyone have experience with them? Do they clear before all Medallion upgrades since they are paid? Are they reasonable compared to the current $564 FCM (CUN-MSP) being offered? Info from Delta.com:

The Same-Day Standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routes:
  • Within North America (except for JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO)
  • To/from Aruba, Bermuda, Grand Cayman (Cayman Islands), Los Cabos (Mexico), Montego Bay (Jamaica), Nassau (Bahamas), Providenciales (Turks and Caicos), San Juan (Puerto Rico), and St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands)
  • Between Atlanta and Costa Rica, St. Maarten and St. Lucia
  • Between Cancun (Mexico) and Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Indianapolis, Memphis and Minneapolis
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:04 pm

Still getting $1280 for JFK-MSP-SNA-MSP-JFK or an insane amount of miles.

Makes me upgrading one way JFK-AMS to D1 for $799 look fantastic in comparison.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.