Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:20 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ethernal
PS - is anyone else surprised/annoyed by the comma splice?
Not a comma splice (== run-on sentence). More like an Oxford comma except I believe that usually refers to 3+ items.

Either way it seems jarring, and unnecessary
GMTmin8 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Zorak
Not a comma splice (== run-on sentence). More like an Oxford comma except I believe that usually refers to 3+ items.

Yes, an Oxford comma is only needed (some would say advised) when you have a sentence listing more that two items in series.

(OT -- an interesting legal case whose result hinged on the Oxford comma: Oxford Comma Determines Maine Court Case About Overtime Pay )

The extraneous comma in the DL ad, if not just a typo, was likely added to promote the reader to insert a semi-dramatic mental pause before reading about the all-so-significant Priority Boarding benefit.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:15 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I would guess they actually had a 3rd item listed in that text and edited it out (accidentally leaving the comma).
rogo and gooselee like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Zorak

You're right, it's not a comma splice.. just incorrect comma usage.

pvn is probably right that it used to be a series before they decided to shorten it and forgot to fix the comma.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
went into the app to check for a schedule change on travel later this year, booked with miles...SMF-MSP-CLT-SLC-SMF

the FCM offer has been bouncing all over the place and is always only available for CLT-SLC-SMF, never the whole trip, very strange.

today when i logged in the screen said $210 and change for F, but before i could click on it, the app had refreshed and it was back up to $460 and change for the return segments. i might have paid the $210 since even over a holiday period i have to imagine my upgrade chances on a low level mileage ticket are not great especially with CLT-SLC on the A320.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Have an ORD-ATL-MSY one-way this week, app has been showing upgrade offers for $202 to FC. However, I noticed that they were selling a F ticket for $60 more than I originally paid for coach, so decided to call and try to upfare.

The first three times I called, all the agents and their supervisors could only quote me the $202 price, even when I mentioned the $60 fare difference. I was getting pretty tired of waiting 2+ hours to get an agent each time, but decided to try once more. The agent once again quoted me $202; however, I asked for her supervisor, and mentioned to him the price I was seeing online. He was able to see that, and then told me he could do the upgrade for $38?! Needless to say, I accepted. Not sure what happened there, though...
hi55us likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by aacar
Have an ORD-ATL-MSY one-way this week, app has been showing upgrade offers for $202 to FC. However, I noticed that they were selling a F ticket for $60 more than I originally paid for coach, so decided to call and try to upfare.

The first three times I called, all the agents and their supervisors could only quote me the $202 price, even when I mentioned the $60 fare difference. I was getting pretty tired of waiting 2+ hours to get an agent each time, but decided to try once more. The agent once again quoted me $202; however, I asked for her supervisor, and mentioned to him the price I was seeing online. He was able to see that, and then told me he could do the upgrade for $38?! Needless to say, I accepted. Not sure what happened there, though...
This is just showing further proof that DL has targeted FCM offers (typically only handed out to the one time flyers to try and get them hooked on FC to buy it more often) and the supervisor was probably able to see this and quote you this price.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Ha. Delta.com offered me a first-class buy-up for a single segment from ATL-MDW for $495.75.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Delta.com is offering me a buy-up into first-class for DTW-MDW at $74.18. Mind you, the flight about 1-hour in duration.

For DTW-MIA, the buy-up I'm seeing is $299.93 (because those 93 cents really matter). Flight time is listed as 3 hours and 5 minutes.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Delta.com is offering me a buy-up into first-class for DTW-MDW at $74.18. Mind you, the flight about 1-hour in duration.

For DTW-MIA, the buy-up I'm seeing is $299.93 (because those 93 cents really matter). Flight time is listed as 3 hours and 5 minutes.
I wouldn’t pay a cent over $299.89 for that flight. LOL
Howste, AANYC1981, hi55us and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
BNA-SLC
Updgrade to c+ cleared at t-72, first was ~$500 at that time then dropped at t-48 to ~$400, then ~$300 at t-26. Considering I paid only $250 for the entire trip, pretty sure I am not going to pay $300 for first on just one segment.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
First time in awhile seeing something decent at booking.

PHL-ATL-RDU for a Sunday evening in September:

- Q Fare: $231
- A Fare: $300

That was a no brainer especially as I doubt I'd be anywhere near either upgrade.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
FCM on award flight

I'm flying JFK-AUS next weekend. Booked the flight months ago at very low mileage award.. For some time now, when I view my trip I see an FCM offer of $117 for First class. Seeing as that I booked this trip as an award I do not expect to receive any miles or MQM's. but what if I take advantage of the FCM offer an upgrade. Still no miles or would this qualify for any miles? Mostly interested in MQM's. Thanks
Old May 21, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mridley2
I'm flying JFK-AUS next weekend. Booked the flight months ago at very low mileage award.. For some time now, when I view my trip I see an FCM offer of $117 for First class. Seeing as that I booked this trip as an award I do not expect to receive any miles or MQM's. but what if I take advantage of the FCM offer an upgrade. Still no miles or would this qualify for any miles? Mostly interested in MQM's. Thanks
You only earn MQDs for Award Ticket MQDs.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
For BOS-CVG, I was offered ~$100 and change for a long time, and I didn't take it. It has since gone up to over $300 and is now sitting just under $300 for the upgrade. (Makes sense, since the ~$100 fare difference probably involved an advance purchase requirement).

I think I'll be alright in the only single seat on the 717

My connecting flight to ORD is a CRJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.