Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
yeah, that bigger seat, "guaranteed" OHB space, dedicated cabin service, 2-3 free 70# bags, PREM boarding, and SP handling is indeed a whole lotta nada!
Bigger seat, yes. "Guaranteed" OHB space, no more than usual. Dedicated cabin service, yes, but I don't use it. 3 free 70# bags, PREM boarding, and SP handling I get anyway.

So it's basically the bigger seat.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
OK, here's a bargain. Flying MSP-LGA-DCA. F upgrade offer for $361 MSP-LGA and the amazing deal of $349 for the 214 mile LGA-DCA trip. I don't think that they stock enough Woodford on that flight to make it a good deal..
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by sethb
Bigger seat, yes. "Guaranteed" OHB space, no more than usual. Dedicated cabin service, yes, but I don't use it. 3 free 70# bags, PREM boarding, and SP handling I get anyway.

So it's basically the bigger seat.
fine, but no one is forcing you to buy it, are they?

my point is that the argument to which i was originally responding of "getting nothing for a buy up" doesn't hold an ounce of water. there are clear, tangible benefits relative to the alternative of the coach accommodation, but whether or not those benefits are valuable is not one size fits all. for some consumers, it works...for some it doesn't. welcome to the free market.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by puck021
OK, here's a bargain. Flying MSP-LGA-DCA. F upgrade offer for $361 MSP-LGA and the amazing deal of $349 for the 214 mile LGA-DCA trip. I don't think that they stock enough Woodford on that flight to make it a good deal..
And that's on top of what you originally paid! Paid first-class between MSP and DCA is about $540-600 for most of the year, according to Google Flights.
puck021 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So I had my first experience with the DL upgrade waitlist yesterday (have been mostly buying F for my DL flights). LAX-OAK didn't clear in advance, but the upgrade was consistently offered for $52.85 right up until I checked in, at which point the offer disappeared. Wasn't offered any buy-up opportunity after checking-in, nor did I see F seats magically disappear from inventory like I'm used to seeing with UA. Ultimately cleared at the gate.

So here's my question - Does DL not offer paid upgrades post check-in, or was this just an anomaly? I'm used to UA, where the consistent practice is to undercut elite upgrades by agressively hawking F seats for cheap right up until the end of boarding.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
So I had my first experience with the DL upgrade waitlist yesterday (have been mostly buying F for my DL flights). LAX-OAK didn't clear in advance, but the upgrade was consistently offered for $52.85 right up until I checked in, at which point the offer disappeared. Wasn't offered any buy-up opportunity after checking-in, nor did I see F seats magically disappear from inventory like I'm used to seeing with UA. Ultimately cleared at the gate.

So here's my question - Does DL not offer paid upgrades post check-in, or was this just an anomaly? I'm used to UA, where the consistent practice is to undercut elite upgrades by agressively hawking F seats for cheap right up until the end of boarding.
its inconsistent. More often than not, if I see an upgrade offer on the my trips page like you did, I don't see one after check in, whereas if I don't see one on the my trips page or the price is outrageous, I'll often see one during check in. One thing you won't see IME is the price changing during the check in window. Usually what you see at T24 is what you get.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:26 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I think the question may be whether there are offers once you complete the check-in process, in which case, I don't think I've ever seen one. The offer during the OLCI process is your last chance.

That being said, before check-in, even if you don't see a current offer, you can always call in to up-fare and they should waive the change fee (a la GG BUYUP that you are used to ). I suspect they could do that after check-in too although they might have to undo the check-in first.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
More often than not, if I see an upgrade offer on the my trips page like you did, I don't see one after check in, whereas if I don't see one on the my trips page or the price is outrageous,
Originally Posted by Zorak
I think the question may be whether there are offers once you complete the check-in process, in which case, I don't think I've ever seen one. The offer during the OLCI process is your last chance.
Thanks guys. If it's true that DL doesn't continue to hawk the upgrade after check-in, that's a big difference from UA (and makes UA's practice all the more offensive).

I was also a little surprised that with six empty F seats, DL waited all the way until boarding to clear the list. But alls well that ends well. I got upgraded both directions, which almost certainly would not have happened flying SFO-LAX on UA.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
I think the question may be whether there are offers once you complete the check-in process, in which case, I don't think I've ever seen one. The offer during the OLCI process is your last chance..
IME, if you re-run OLCI after initially checking in, the offer may re-appear if the inventory hasn't been exhausted.

I also believe that FCM inventory is a subset of total F inventory, but I dont have any hard proof of that. Ie, I don't think they'll often FCM the last seat.

Regarding timing, my experience is that if I don't clear at the platinum window, I won't clear until the gate. Rarely if ever do I clear in between.

(Post #14K )
GoAmtrak likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Regarding timing, my experience is that if I don't clear at the platinum window, I won't clear until the gate. Rarely if ever do I clear in between.

(Post #14K )
I Agree but noticed a difference when I moved from PM to DM. I sometimes, not often clear after the window
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
IME, if you re-run OLCI after initially checking in, the offer may re-appear if the inventory hasn't been exhausted.
Ah, I knew you could check in again to revise a VDB bid so this makes sense and worth trying too of so desired.

I also believe that FCM inventory is a subset of total F inventory, but I dont have any hard proof of that. Ie, I don't think they'll often FCM the last seat.
My vague recollection is that when I've bought up in advance it rebooks into A (I would assume G is eligible also), so that would make sense too.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
It bears repeating that any FCM offer still may be pricier than refaring, even on day of departure. I recently flew LAS-MSP on a U fare, no FCM offer at check-in in that case, but called in and refared to A class for $112. ^

Just based on anecdotes, DL appears to be more aggressive about releasing cheaper F buckets on day of departure, versus UA which has always seemed looser about releasing lower Y buckets (which is a whole other discussion about the relative merits of their SDC policies). So DL sometimes does market F attractively until the last minute, just not necessarily through the FCM channel.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
And that's on top of what you originally paid! Paid first-class between MSP and DCA is about $540-600 for most of the year, according to Google Flights.
Those G A P fares probably apply only to nonstops. That's true for most of the good fares from MSP on routes that DL serves nonstop.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Those G A P fares probably apply only to nonstops. That's true for most of the good fares from MSP on routes that DL serves nonstop.
$624 for MSP-JFK-DCA on Delta.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:59 pm

Recently bought SJC-LAS-SJC for travel in April. Post-purchase the FCM offer was $52.xx each way, less than the difference in cost of buying F outright. This would probably be within my $/hr threshold for accepting on a longer flight, but not on a sub-1.5hr flight on an E75. Besides, 4 open seats on the map (yes, I know) for a Thursday midday outbound and wide open on the return, so I'll definitely gamble

$106 total is roughly (not quite exactly) the differential to A (booked T outbound, Q return) even though they are only selling first class P fares for my flight combination (for about $100 additional over the buy-up offer)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.