Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:19 pm

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate your insight. I will pass on this offer and let's see what the check-in holds.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
First, they get you hooked. Then, they jack up the price.
When you skin your customer, leave some skin to grow so you can skin them again
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I priced a ticket in coach: $419 RT

I then checked FC, same routing: $812 RT (for a P fare)

Difference: $393

I selected the coach fare and clicked forward to the reservation confirmation page. I was offered an UG to "Flex First Class" for $434... each way. For a total RT cost of $1287.

There were no links associated with the offer that provided any description of what "Flex First Class" is.

A search on Delta.com did not yield any hits.

A search on google indicated that others have sought to find the answer, but was no help.

I assumed that "Flex First Class" meant a full-fare F fare that might be refundable. But, no, an F fare for that itinerary was $2275.

So, what is there between a P fare and an F fare, and what flexibility does it provide?

Why leave this up to customer speculation?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Award Tickets

Does Delta offer the option to buy up to Comfort+ or F on award tickets or just on revenue tickets? TIA
Old Sep 17, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Does Delta offer the option to buy up to Comfort+ or F on award tickets or just on revenue tickets? TIA
My dad got me an award ticket to go home for Thanksgiving, and there's no buy-up option, even though they used to be. (C+/F seats are now grayed out.)
Old Sep 17, 2017, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Smf-STL one way via SLC. Fare diff at purchase was $175 main cabin to F. After purchase FCM offered for $235. Now dropped to $175. I'd like to see it at $150 before I feel tempted.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by strickerj
My dad got me an award ticket to go home for Thanksgiving, and there's no buy-up option, even though they used to be. (C+/F seats are now grayed out.)
Thanks. That's helpful.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Thanks. That's helpful.
I sometimes see upgrade offers at OLCI on awards but rarely before
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Interesting C+ buy-up comparison for upcoming travel (different PNRs)

JFK - SFO: $145 (base ticket ~$600)

ATL - BRU/BRU - ATL: $99 (base ticket $550)

I know it's because TATL is not a separate fare class but still interesting since ATL - BRU is ~65-70% longer. No F offer on either yet though ATL - BRU is the only one I'd even consider biting on since the other two are daytime.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
I'm wondering if this threat is appropriate or if another one should be started, but I just received an email from DL saying that miles can now be used to 'move up'. So, I'm wondering if the option for FCM will now be: "Upgrade for $xxx or using xxx,xxx SkyMiles"...

Yes, I intentionally used that number of x's for upgrading with miles
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 4M
Originally Posted by GBadger
To be more brutally honest (this has nothing to do with DYKWIA), if DL doesn't offer me F upgrades on a regular basis, I have NO reason to fly DL. UA offers domestic E+, more easily usable miles, a more comprehensive global network with better (*A) partners, usable international SWUs, and far more flight options out of SFO.

I don't need F, but if I'm no longer going to get it for free, I have better options. I'm guessing there are plenty others like me. Could be wrong.
People are buying these yup fares.. On American, as execplat - I almost never cleared.. A buddy of mine on United (1K) - has a very bad record of clearing.. I have near ZERO status on Delta.. Love them.. Switched earlier this year.. When I want first, I just buy the upgrade offer.. Last week, flying home from AUS to JFK.. I did paid FC upgrade.. and noticed the number of prem customers in coach (was more than a couple).

Delta offers an amazing product. I'd like to see how you enjoy United as compared to Delta. I think the only issue is - Delta is selling out what should be a perk for FF. But, people are paying it. So can you blame them?

BTW - Super confused - How are they also selling JFK->LAX Delta First seats for $650. I thought I had hit the lottery.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
Interesting C+ buy-up comparison for upcoming travel (different PNRs)

JFK - SFO: $145 (base ticket ~$600)

I know it's because TATL is not a separate fare class but still interesting since ATL - BRU is ~65-70% longer. No F offer on either yet though ATL - BRU is the only one I'd even consider biting on since the other two are daytime.
I literally think the upgrade price - is the price of the ticket subtracted from the published discounted FC price currently on Delta.com.. give or take a few bucks.. The higher the coach ticket price, the closer the spread between published coach and discounted fc, the lower the FCM rate..

I've used it 6 or 7 times in the last 60 days.. Love it..
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Duke787
When were you ever able to snag the direct to BRU for $550, or are you connecting from somewhere else?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I used to get buy-up offers, but right now the only thing I am getting is c+ offers......even where my itinerary is already upgraded. And I get it for free, why would I pay?

I have only done the buy-up to F twice, both times it was a good deal. Possibly at this point DL has determined I'm not a good candidate since I never bite on the high ones?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I used to get buy-up offers, but right now the only thing I am getting is c+ offers......even where my itinerary is already upgraded. And I get it for free, why would I pay?

I have only done the buy-up to F twice, both times it was a good deal. Possibly at this point DL has determined I'm not a good candidate since I never bite on the high ones?
Or worse. Because you are diamond - they are attempting to mask their behavior from you. You would probably never think to buy a benefit. Whereas, I would jump at the opportunity for an FCM moment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.