Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by CMK10
Flying IAH-ATL-RDU on Wednesday (M88/757) on an X Fare. FCM offer has dropped to $100 which I'm considering taking.
pretty tough to convince oneself to not take that since it will likely upfare to G or A and gives you a solid 3-3.5 hours in the pointy end
Old May 7, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
pretty tough to convince oneself to not take that since it will likely upfare to G or A and gives you a solid 3-3.5 hours in the pointy end
Especially on an X fare...
Old May 9, 2017, 2:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Flying IAH-ATL-RDU on Wednesday (M88/757) on an X Fare. FCM offer has dropped to $100 which I'm considering taking.
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Especially on an X fare...
The FO C+ sweep dumped me into a middle seat on ATL-RDU. The offer went up to $205, then $175, then back down to $100. After a day of checking the seatmap and still being in the middle I spent the $100 for F. I got the second to last F seat on IAH-ATL and last on ATL-RDU. Sorry to whomever I just cost the upgrade.
Old May 10, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
The FO C+ sweep dumped me into a middle seat on ATL-RDU. The offer went up to $205, then $175, then back down to $100. After a day of checking the seatmap and still being in the middle I spent the $100 for F. I got the second to last F seat on IAH-ATL and last on ATL-RDU. Sorry to whomever I just cost the upgrade.
I assume it upfared? To G?
Old May 14, 2017, 1:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I assume it upfared? To G?
Oh it did indeed and I got the extra MQD which is important.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
DTW-SEA on Saturday 5/20; just got an offer to upgrade to F for $278.80 (I got an upgrade on all other segments on my itinerary, including SLC-BWI on the return, at the 5 day windows).
Old May 18, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Finally received a decent FCM.

ATL-IND 41/each way. Purchased. That is 1/3 the cost to book up front into FC.
I would value a FC seat on a 1 hour flight at $15 MAX over C+ but thats just me.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by aero0729
I would value a FC seat on a 1 hour flight at $15 MAX over C+ but thats just me.
It is worth about 75-100 an hour to me. Claustrophobic and need my space or I get stressed. I just buy F tickets only. Not to bad if I can get a or g class.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I once valued a FC upgrade for IND-ATL at ~$110 IIRC.

I was just up for a work meeting and there was a good chance it would finish early enough for the next-to-last flight home, but no guarantee and I couldn't exactly just ditch the meeting to catch my flight.

Meeting ended on time, traffic was in my favor, and I was able to SDC into the next to last FC seat on what appeared to be a pretty full flight. I'd say the three extra hours I got at home that day were well worth it.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by gooselee
I once valued a FC upgrade for IND-ATL at ~$110 IIRC.

I was just up for a work meeting and there was a good chance it would finish early enough for the next-to-last flight home, but no guarantee and I couldn't exactly just ditch the meeting to catch my flight.

Meeting ended on time, traffic was in my favor, and I was able to SDC into the next to last FC seat on what appeared to be a pretty full flight. I'd say the three extra hours I got at home that day were well worth it.
I have done FCM several times for the SDC/Co-terminal flexibility. While I would normally never pay for it for a DTW to Chicago flight I am going there next weekend and not sure until later in the week if I can get out of the office later. By paying the extra $50 on the DTW/ORD flight I know I can make (I prefer MDW but MDW was considerably more) I will have the flexibility to SDC onto the earlier MDW or ORD flight. And seeing the difference between MDW and ORD was $70 if I can fly into MDW instead the $50 difference more than paid for itself.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:05 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
The value of an FC seat on a 1 hour flight and the value of buying up to FC on a 1 hour flight are two very different things. The value of buying up to FC on a 1 hour flight includes not just the value of the FC seat, but most importantly for me the value of 250 additional MQM.

There is also the 10x earnings I get in my company's SkyBonus account, which really adds up!
Old May 18, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Did the option of using PWM for part of the payment to up class go away? I seem to remember doing that in the past but maybe that was only at time of purchase of the original flight.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Did the option of using PWM for part of the payment to up class go away? I seem to remember doing that in the past but maybe that was only at time of purchase of the original flight.

I believe it is available at the time of purchasing the original flight, but that's because you're just using PWM to buy part of the fare, there's no reissuing.

I've never seen the ability to use PWM after the ticket is issued.

Current offer is $901 for SFO-JFK. I've flown JFK-SFO-JFK in D1 for $1200 before
Old May 19, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
ATL-SFO round trip L fare paid for with OPM, offered $321 upgrade each way to me. Had an issue processing my card (turned out to be Wallet credit card I had entered and saved as Visa instead of MC) so I called in to have agent process.

Turns out my fat fingers saved me $40, she said they discounted the upfare to $599 if I bought both.

So if you see an FCM you want, definitely call in to buy it if you have time, you might get an even better deal.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:55 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Traveling in the opposite direction, SFO-ATL on U fare, offered the same $321 one-way upgrade. A new F booking costs $517 more than what I paid, so this would be a ~$200 savings. Not enticing enough for me though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.