Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Does DL ever offer FCM on ATLSFO? I would think if DL did, it would be much closer to flight time, like T-24.
I'm usually offered something on all trips, including ones that typically have high F demand (LAX-ATL as an example). Now, normally it's something that I won't even consider paying.....but I'm offered it.

Perhaps they've tuned this to only show offers that they think might be accepted?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:11 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by scongro
Perhaps they've tuned this to only show offers that they think might be accepted?
I'm sure there's some business analytics behind who gets an offer on what routes and when, but I don't think anything conclusive has ever been posted to FT, just various anecdotes and speculation from which it's hard to draw any firm conclusions. For practical purposes it might as well be random

But it's worth reminding that if you look at the current F/J fare for your exact itinerary and would be willing to pay the difference (as that is what the FCM price usually amounts to), then even without an offer on the web site you can self-FCM by calling in to up-fare, and they should waive the change fee (if not, HUCA)
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zorak
But it's worth reminding that if you look at the current F/J fare for your exact itinerary and would be willing to pay the difference (as that is what the FCM price usually amounts to), then even without an offer on the web site you can self-FCM by calling in to up-fare, and they should waive the change fee (if not, HUCA)
On the mobile app, I see a button there to Upgrade Seat, and I can then see all the cabins, including First. If I click on one of the empty, available seats in First, nothing happens; that seat doesn't get selected. So, I guess that Upgrade Seat "feature" in the mobile app isn't what you're talking about with FCM?

Thanks,
--woodstock
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:48 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Price has been fluctuating between $84 and $87 for SDF-MDW (via ATL) for this weekend. No-go for me, I paid $5 more for C+ and the flights seem to be really empty (Delta app says something like 90 seats being available on one of the flights)
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Does DL ever offer FCM on ATLSFO? I would think if DL did, it would be much closer to flight time, like T-24.
I can recall, at most, one low-priced FCM offer into SFO over the last year... and it is a trip I frequently make.

The last time I sat in coach on a flight into SFO, looking longingly to the front, the lead FA remarked that there was no one up there who had not paid to be there, in one way or another. Paid FC. Certificate. Whatever.

Low priced FCM offers into SFO are going to be a rarity.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:01 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by JoeWoodstock
On the mobile app, I see a button there to Upgrade Seat, and I can then see all the cabins, including First. If I click on one of the empty, available seats in First, nothing happens; that seat doesn't get selected. So, I guess that Upgrade Seat "feature" in the mobile app isn't what you're talking about with FCM?
FCM has become sort of an umbrella term* covering a variety of situations
1. when the difference between buying Y and F is surprisingly or anomalously low
2. an offer, when viewing an itinerary, to buy up to F for a surprisingly or anomalously low amount (usually, it amounts to the price difference between Y and F in case #1)
3. an offer, at check-in, to upgrade to F for a low amount

usual caveat that #2 gets the benefits of an F ticket like increased MQMs, and #3 is handled more like a comp upgrade and does not. My recent comment was merely an observation, for people wondering why they never see #2, or never see it on some routes but do see it on others, is that it's functionally random from a customer perspective, and you can always obtain it manually by calling in to pay the difference if the price is right for you.

An offer to upgrade your seat by choosing a different one on the seat map would fall under #2 or #3 depending when you're doing it, and whether from the desktop web site or the mobile app. If it's not working to an app bug, that's a separate topic.

*perhaps to the chagrin of people who like their terminology more precise, which occasionally describes me, but for some reason this doesn't bother me

Last edited by Zorak; Aug 24, 2016 at 3:36 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP75K, Marriott Platinum, National EE
119 for SEA-SLC-STL at OLCI. Took it as my wife was traveling alone on the flight and its always a gamble on whether her bag will be overweight or not. Turned out it was, 65 pounds, but yay for 70 pound allowance!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by scongro
I'm usually offered something on all trips, including ones that typically have high F demand (LAX-ATL as an example). Now, normally it's something that I won't even consider paying.....but I'm offered it.

Agreed. See reply below.

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I can recall, at most, one low-priced FCM offer into SFO over the last year... and it is a trip I frequently make.

The last time I sat in coach on a flight into SFO, looking longingly to the front, the lead FA remarked that there was no one up there who had not paid to be there, in one way or another. Paid FC. Certificate. Whatever.

Wasn't looking for 'low priced'. Potentially reasonable maybe? My question was based more so on I have had some insane offers(way too much) for some crappy routes and some amazing deals. To have two different trips to SFO(and mixed returns) with no offers for even EC+ seems odd.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

Thanks, StayingHomeIsBetter and good to know. I just buy P/A fares these days, so I don't gamble with instruments and FCM. Still, I've looked a few times at routing through ATL to SFO just on a lark and seeing the 737s thought, there is no way those flights are not going out full up front with non-FCM pax.
Therefore, D1 and PS for me via JFK and EWR, respectively. It's just too long a ride.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:06 am

Depends on how you define "FCM" I suppose. I flew ATL-SFO-ATL in June and when I purchased my ticket in March, first was about $120 more each way extra over economy. A good deal but I had to be flexible with my dates and flight times to get it; most options were substantially more.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:10 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by lordsutch
Depends on how you define "FCM" I suppose. I flew ATL-SFO-ATL in June and when I purchased my ticket in March, first was about $120 more each way extra over economy.
what fare class were you buying though?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:14 am

Purchased BNA - SLC for November.
Don't recall the FCM offer for C+, for F it was $129.
Later was offered C+ was $9.
Bought it.
FCM for F immediately jumped to $140, now it is $120.
Makes no sense.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:03 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by United747
Price has been fluctuating between $84 and $87 for SDF-MDW (via ATL) for this weekend. No-go for me, I paid $5 more for C+ and the flights seem to be really empty (Delta app says something like 90 seats being available on one of the flights)
Offer is now $827!. What a deal!
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by pvn
what fare class were you buying though?
The first fare class was definitely G both ways; I think economy one way was V and the other way was X or T on the same flights, but my memory's fuzzy.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Question for y'all, I think this is the place to ask. I'm sorry in advance if it's already been discussed, I've been swamped with school and haven't been on the forums in a few months.

Basically, it's about F fares. Lately, I've noticed that when I do searches for flights, all DL.com ever returns are P fares, for everything. Doesn't matter if it's 6 months away or two weeks away. I'm used to seeing lots of G fares and even the occasional A fare, but it's P across the board, every flight, every combination of connections, no matter where I look. What is up with that? Or is it just me?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.