Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
un-freakin'-believable

oh, wait, this is DL IT at work ... excellent result!
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
And then there's the other extreme.

We're booked MSY-ATL-MCO-ATL-MSY on V fares at $214 RT. They're selling A for $654 and offering me FCM to A for $538 RT.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
un-freakin'-believable

oh, wait, this is DL IT at work ... 'nuff said!
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
And then there's the other extreme.

We're booked MSY-ATL-MCO-ATL-MSY on V fares at $214 RT. They're selling A for $654 and offering me FCM to A for $538 RT.
Flew the reverse (from MCO) two weeks ago and had the same experience. The upgrade was even a little higher than the above. Never gave it a second thought. However, purchased upgrade for MCO-ATL-ROA-ATL-MCO this weekend for a little over $100 for the 4 segments.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jrl767
un-freakin'-believable

oh, wait, this is DL IT at work ... excellent result!
No, it's DL RM. And they're supposed to be good at it.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by backdoc
As GM I can SDC for no cost, then I can change the FF number back to VS to get the points on Virgin Atlantic.

If I need to SDC on the way back, then I'll fork over the $50. I have two flights after landing on my return leg (miles going to DL). If I SDC those I'd need to change the above return leg.

I bought a bunch of multi-hop trips to make sure that I'd be able to status match by segments but unexpectedly made my miles requirement by 20 miles on my last trip from JFK. So, I don't need to fly the crazy route and if I can change it to be more relaxed with time in a SkyLounge, I'd be happier.

I do like the flexibility of SDC.

Steve
What's a SkyLounge?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
SkyLounge is a Delta-Newbie multi frequent flyer club member mashup.

Delta SkyClub, as in where I am sitting at the moment (LAX).

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's a SkyLounge?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
What's a SkyLounge?
The only one I'm familiar with is this one:

Sky Lounge
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by gooselee
ATL-DTW one-way next week. FCM offer is $370. Hah.

Separate ticket: 3-leg multi-city bouncing around from DTW back to ATL over the rest of the week. At checkout, offered the option to UG for $79/leg. I don't need FC for the first two, so I call in to just UG the final leg.

PM desk clicks around a bit, moves me to an A fare, and issues a $19 ETV. Apparently FC was cheaper than coach for that last leg. Hooray RM dept...
Good job! Similar situation here

I'm travelling MSP/MIA next month. FCM buy up was $315. I am booked on a B fare coming back with only a few seats still available but going on a T fare with the whole front cabin open. I called asking how much it would be to upgrade just the flight home and was moved into first on that flight into an A fare and given an ETV of $12.50.

RA is going to be able to reach his goal of 70 percent paid first class really easy at this rate.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
Good job! Similar situation here

I'm travelling MSP/MIA next month. FCM buy up was $315. I am booked on a B fare coming back with only a few seats still available but going on a T fare with the whole front cabin open. I called asking how much it would be to upgrade just the flight home and was moved into first on that flight into an A fare and given an ETV of $12.50.

RA is going to be able to reach his goal of 70 percent paid first class really easy at this rate.
Nah, he could have surpassed that goal long ago if he had hired me as a consultant. I could have given him a strategy to get way over 90%, perhaps even as high as 99%, almost instantly.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Nah, he could have surpassed that goal long ago if he had hired me as a consultant. I could have given him a strategy to get way over 90%, perhaps even as high as 99%, almost instantly.
Any of us could; but it would have impacted profits too much. (Except, obviously, for the cases where FCA-M applies.)
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This one makes little sense to me. Flying FAY-ATL-FLL on a V-Fare tomorrow. Since booking, FCM offer of $186.50 to upgrade just ATL-FLL (FAY-ATL is a CRJ-200). At check in, offered an upgrade for $199.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
This one makes little sense to me. Flying FAY-ATL-FLL on a V-Fare tomorrow. Since booking, FCM offer of $186.50 to upgrade just ATL-FLL (FAY-ATL is a CRJ-200). At check in, offered an upgrade for $199.
Last-minute price increase; what's weird about that? Maybe one person took the first offer, so they raised the price.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
$587 to upgrade my DTW/ATL trip next weekend. If someone is willing to pay that to upgrade then they deserve to sit up front.

I love seeing absurd FC upgrade fares. When they are sky high I always seem to get the upgrades since no one is willing to bite and pay to sit up front.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:32 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sethb
Last-minute price increase; what's weird about that? Maybe one person took the first offer, so they raised the price.
I was monitoring it every day, the seat numbers haven't changed. There's an upgrade list of 34, you'd think they'd try to offer it for say $99 which a reasonable person with a bad Y seat might pay. But hey what do I know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.