Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
That would work.

I'll do that.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Why not leave the SkyMiles number in the reservation until T-24 when you make the change on the phone and then change to the VS number? I guess this wouldn't work if the flight in question is the return on a roundtrip.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
backdoc is a GM.

I believe technically he/she should be charged $50, but showing your GM card to a nice check-in agent and explaining that you have your VS number applied for whatever reason may result in a waived fee. YMMV greatly, and you should of course approach this as asking for a favor, not demanding an entitlement.
From the viewpoint of DL, he's not a GM his he has some other FF number (for another airline program) associated with his PNR. He can't simultaneously use the flights to earn VS or whatever status and get DL elite benefits.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Nov 3, 2015 at 8:29 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:44 am

Correct

I've changed the PNR to use my DL GM number. If I don't need any changes to my flights I'll change my PNR back to the VS number at the gate.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
From the viewpoint of DL, he's not a GM if his has some other FF number (for another airline program) associated with his PNR. He can't simultaneously use the flights to earn VS or whatever status and get DL elite benefits.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
Good to know, the 11am is on a 757 with lie-flat so that would be nice! That said, odds of 3 empty seats same day aren't so good...
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by backdoc
I've changed the PNR to use my DL GM number. If I don't need any changes to my flights I'll change my PNR back to the VS number at the gate.
You ought to be able to change at the gate after SDC. (I'm not sure about SDS.)
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:11 pm

I'd do SDC, I'm to anxious to SDS... :)

I don't HAVE to credit my miles to VS, but I'd rather. F from LAX-SMF-LAX gives me 3 Tier Points per segment for a total of 6 for $280.

An Upper Class flight from LAX-LHR only yields 5 Tier Points, and costs significantly more than $280. Most times Upper Class LAX-LHR RT is between $5,000 to $7,000.

Originally Posted by sethb
You ought to be able to change at the gate after SDC. (I'm not sure about SDS.)

Last edited by backdoc; Nov 3, 2015 at 2:26 pm
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
MCO-ATL-MCO, $206 booking into X class. Offered $84 each way for an upgrade to F, or $35 each way for an upgrade to C+. On one hand, I feel like if I'm going to buy C+, I might as well just go the rest of the way to F. On the other hand, it's a 1 hour flight and I feel like even a middle seat in the back would be adequate for such a minimal time in the air.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
It's also on some international flights now.

DTW/BOS/ATL/LIM LIM/ATL/BOS/DTW was $980 in coach and $1,320 up front. No brainer seeing the ATL/LIM portion is delta one with flat beds and the ATL/BOS flight is a 757 with cradle bed seats. The MQM's alone are worth paying for the upgrade and being able to save the GU for a more expensive flight
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
From the viewpoint of DL, he's not a GM his he has some other FF number (for another airline program) associated with his PNR. He can't simultaneously use the flights to earn VS or whatever status and get DL elite benefits.
That is true by policy, which is exactly why in my suggestion I said he is not entitled to GM benefits but may still, in the real world, be able to receive one if he asks nicely as a favor.

Or he can swap out FFP numbers as someone else suggested.

Originally Posted by cmd320
MCO-ATL-MCO, $206 booking into X class. Offered $84 each way for an upgrade to F, or $35 each way for an upgrade to C+. On one hand, I feel like if I'm going to buy C+, I might as well just go the rest of the way to F. On the other hand, it's a 1 hour flight and I feel like even a middle seat in the back would be adequate for such a minimal time in the air.
I've literally spent more time getting to the airport for that flight than time on board the plane.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:21 am

Yeah, I'm not trying to game the system...

As GM I can SDC for no cost, then I can change the FF number back to VS to get the points on Virgin Atlantic.

If I need to SDC on the way back, then I'll fork over the $50. I have two flights after landing on my return leg (miles going to DL). If I SDC those I'd need to change the above return leg.

I bought a bunch of multi-hop trips to make sure that I'd be able to status match by segments but unexpectedly made my miles requirement by 20 miles on my last trip from JFK. So, I don't need to fly the crazy route and if I can change it to be more relaxed with time in a SkyLounge, I'd be happier.

I do like the flexibility of SDC.

Steve

Originally Posted by gooselee
That is true by policy, which is exactly why in my suggestion I said he is not entitled to GM benefits but may still, in the real world, be able to receive one if he asks nicely as a favor.

Or he can swap out FFP numbers as someone else suggested.

I've literally spent more time getting to the airport for that flight than time on board the plane.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by cmd320
I would never spend that kind of $ to upgrade on such a short flight even if it meant sitting in the last row middle seat.

If the flight boards late and/or you have a lazy FA who doesn't do a PDB you'll be lucky to get two drinks in. You're better off spending the money on a SkyClub day pass.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
You're better off spending the money on a SkyClub day pass.
I get access through Amex Plat anyway, so I don't really need to do that. I may do C+ on the outbound flight, just because it's imperative that I get off the plane upon arrival quickly (and its a 753). If F ends up dropping to $39 or something, I may consider it then.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I would never spend that kind of $ to upgrade on such a short flight even if it meant sitting in the last row middle seat.

If the flight boards late and/or you have a lazy FA who doesn't do a PDB you'll be lucky to get two drinks in. You're better off spending the money on a SkyClub day pass.
The only reason to FCM on a route that short is to open up the SDC gates. I frequently pay for FCM on ~2 hour flights just because I want to be able to hop on whatever flight is leaving when I get to the airport on my way home. That's worth quite a bit to me.

The seat/drinks/food? Nice, but ultimately meh. Perhaps on flights over 4 hours that comes into play.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
For my next weeks flight BNA-BOS I was offered the opportunity to upgrade for $989. I laughed.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ATL-DTW one-way next week. FCM offer is $370. Hah.

Separate ticket: 3-leg multi-city bouncing around from DTW back to ATL over the rest of the week. At checkout, offered the option to UG for $79/leg. I don't need FC for the first two, so I call in to just UG the final leg.

PM desk clicks around a bit, moves me to an A fare, and issues a $19 ETV. Apparently FC was cheaper than coach for that last leg. Hooray RM dept...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.