Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL DM
I pray to everything holy that DL puts an option on the website to upgrade penalty-free to P. There would simply be no argument then from any elite that FCM is unfair. Work pays for Y, you pay for F out of your pocket.

Last edited by bubbashow; Apr 11, 2012 at 4:36 pm
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by gator21
How does this negatively impact the elites? They are purchasing a coach seat. That is what they purchased right? I didn't know that purchasing an advance coach seat = FC seat. If it does, tell me how to do it.
The $50 'buy up' pulls an F seat out of inventory.

Also there are often times where there are cases where buying P is cheaper than the cheapest available Y seat.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow
I pray to everything holy that DL puts an option on the website to upgrade penalty-free to P. There would simply be no argument then from any elite that FCM is unfair. Work pays for Y, you pay for F out of your pocket.
Your suggestion is clean simple and smart
Then anyone who has to buy a low fare can, at their option upgrade

I bet thousands would and Delta gain millions. There is no revenue loss for Delta as a LUT fare person isn't paying a change fee on the same flight today

I wish for this change the project after converting to a revenue based elite program
Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by gator21
How does this negatively impact the elites? They are purchasing a coach seat. That is what they purchased right? I didn't know that purchasing an advance coach seat = FC seat. If it does, tell me how to do it.
Gator....you will end up wanting to bang your head against a wall after just a few hours talking about this. So many on here have no business sense whatsoever and will argue until they are blue in the face. According to them, DL should NOT sell F....they should save it and reward them. DL has found a pricing model that is actually moving some F inventory, and they can't stand it. They are unwilling or unable to purchase the service that they desire.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by Denal1
ATL LAS is the new LAX/SFO JFK. Most seats are now hled until the gate. I can tell you from experience though, many of those in FC to LAS are on paid A/P fares. Travel this route often and last minute FC almost same price as coach or even cheaper.
I'm going to LAS Saturday night. My upgrade on the DCA-SLC leg cleared just after 5 pm yesterday (3 day window); there were no upgrades on the SLC-LAS leg at the DM/PM 5 day window, and no upgrades in the GM window, despite 11 of the 16 F seats on a 737-800 being open.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Gator....you will end up wanting to bang your head against a wall after just a few hours talking about this. So many on here have no business sense whatsoever and will argue until they are blue in the face. According to them, DL should NOT sell F....they should save it and reward them. DL has found a pricing model that is actually moving some F inventory, and they can't stand it. They are unwilling or unable to purchase the service that they desire.

Corporate travel rules often do not allow F purchases.
DL targets corporate travelers heavily with the incentives of their medallion program.

Does $50 for an upsell to the 1x/year customer versus an upgrade to a customer who flys 25k+/year on your airline make sense? DL's strongest asset FFP wise is their upgrade program.

What I am not saying is that you should not try and sell F in any way shape or form. It should just make sense to factor loyalty in, right? Or do DL's ads not suggest that Loyalty programs should reward customers w/upgrades if avail?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Can't you usually call and upgrade penalty-free since it is a change of cabin?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Drile
Can't you usually call and upgrade penalty-free since it is a change of cabin?
I have had great success doing it. Some on here claim that it is not. Please put it on the website, DL as a buy up. It will shut some people up forever.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:37 pm

They'd move more if the removed the penalty for upgrading to a higher fare class, as you suggested.

If I know I will fly XXX-YYY 3 months in advance, maybe I can get a T fare for $300, which is what I'd have to book. If I wait until 3 days before the flight, maybe I'd get an M fare for $600 as the cheapest available. If it's in my upgrade window I might get the upgrade at booking. If not, maybe the P fare would be $650. It might be worth me paying $50 out of pocket for the upgrade but not $200, depending on the actual route. I'm not sure how an expense auditor would see this as I bought the cheapest available ticket, but does he know how far in advance I knew my travel plans?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Vuelos

Corporate travel rules often do not allow F purchases.
DL targets corporate travelers heavily with the incentives of their medallion program.

Does $50 for an upsell to the 1x/year customer versus an upgrade to a customer who flys 25k+/year on your airline make sense? DL's strongest asset FFP wise is their upgrade program.

What I am not saying is that you should not try and sell F in any way shape or form. It should just make sense to factor loyalty in, right? Or do DL's ads not suggest that Loyalty programs should reward customers w/upgrades if avail?
Upgrades are available for any unclaimed inventory. That is a nice gift from Dl considering they would NEVER reach 100% occupancy sold in F.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by sbjnyc
They'd move more if the removed the penalty for upgrading to a higher fare class, as you suggested.
They'd make it a lot easier and move a lot more if they put it under the purchased extras portion of the itinerary page.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 6:04 pm

I fly over 100,000 miles a year and I would welcome such a change. I have taken advantage of P fares in the past, but lately I have been putting paid F on AA because of the superior product.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by LGANightOwl
Same for my company. But in this case, I would book Y, print the receipt for reimbursement purposes, cancel for a refund within the 24-hour period, and rebook in F. Yes, the $50 will be out of my pocket, but CVG to LAS is worth it.
that was how I held GM for about five years, and hit PM with the late-2010 promotions ... starting in Jan 2011 the corporate travel policy changed, and ALL travel had to be booked thru the contract travel agency and billed direct to the corporate UATP card ... the agents were reasonably good about adding a note to the record to justify why I was taking DL flights that were anywhere from $30 to in some cases $120 over the lowest available fare (typically US in the markets I was flying), but it was goodbye to MRs in conjunction with business travel
Old Apr 11, 2012, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AUDirt
Some of us work for companies that require us to buy coach unless it can be shown that F was cheaper.

In this case, even though the $50 difference is a no-brainer, I'd still be buying Y if traveling for my company.
Some of us work for places where we have to jump through hoops to be reimbursed for a FC fare even if we can document that it's cheaper. There have been times when I've purchased more expensive full Y to avoid these problems.

Originally Posted by LGANightOwl
Same for my company. But in this case, I would book Y, print the receipt for reimbursement purposes, cancel for a refund within the 24-hour period, and rebook in F. Yes, the $50 will be out of my pocket, but CVG to LAS is worth it.
I would not do it this way. Being reimbursed for a ticket that was cancelled and refunded could be considered fraud, even if you then purchased and used a more expensive ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.