Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2013, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by StuckOnSegments
Screw you for not understanding that some people have travel policies.
Then take it up with your company and their travel policies or find a company with better travel policies. It's not DL's job to plan it's revenue and business strategry around your company's travel policies.

Good Lord do some people read what they've written before they post it?

Last edited by FlyDeltaJets87; Mar 24, 2013 at 4:00 pm
Old Mar 24, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Originally Posted by SFO777
Perhaps for some, perhaps not for others. IMO, diversification and trip management are the keys. I continue to be 100% on the cheapest coach fares on both DL and AA. I also buy discounted First if the differential is reasonable. I am also willing to connect in most cases. Works fine for me.
Yes right on target. This is the strategy for today's environment. Make it work to one's advantage!
Old Mar 24, 2013, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
I don't understand why domestic US first class is priced at such a high multiple... that few passengers purchase the fare... and therefore seats are given away to elites or upgrades are sold.

For DL, why not lower the first class price differential, make up for the drop in per ticket revenue with greater volume (more passengers paying a lower fare)... and upgrade the service offering.

On some routes I'd pay for first class (out of my pocket) if the fare was not 3x, 4x, or greater than the price of coach. The current system just degrades the product.

I'm sure they have smart quant jocks who have modeled this out. I've just never seen a rationale for not doing the above vs maintaining the same Pterodactyl pricing models.

And... I don't buy the argument that "the Elites" would retaliate and go to another airline since 1) most are flying based on corporate pricing and are somewhat directed to specific airlines; 2) a lot are captive to airlines' market share on a given route or city, e.g., where would all the p-offed PMs and DMs in ATL go?; and 3) if one airline did it, they'd all follow.

Last edited by FitTraveler; Mar 24, 2013 at 5:00 pm
Old Mar 24, 2013, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FitTraveler
I don't understand why domestic US first class is priced at such a high multiple... that few passengers purchase the fare... and therefore seats are given away to elites or upgrades are sold.
For DL, why not lower the first class price differential, make up for the drop in per ticket revenue with greater volume (more passengers paying a lower fare)... and upgrade the service offering.
Wow, did you just wake up from hibernation? OP is pissed because DL's F fares are too low.
And indeed, in most markets, DL's F fares are priced much more competitively these days.
That is why more pax (elites and non-elites) are buying F, leaving some DL elites in the back of the bus.

I'm all for charging for upgrades (like AA does for all but EXPs) if that will improve the food.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by A4K
I think the biggest frustration with the whole FCM thing on this board is that domestic upgrades used to be the one redeeming quality of the skymiles program. Award redemptions are tough, SWU's are fairly useless for upgrades, ect.

Flyers dealt with the other crap because they liked the comp upgrade odds. Now that DL is selling the seats on the cheap instead of giving them to medallions it has bothered many, which I understand.

Your question is a good on though, Delta obviously thinks it is a better idea for them to sell cheap F seats then to give them away, but in the process how many medallions are they pissing off? That is what they have to weigh and they obviously think the extra revenue is worth it.
THIS.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 6:20 pm

This thread is not about monetizing a seat. I am all for it. It is a bit irritating for me to buy a last minute M or B fare and sit in the back, while a non FF is sitting up front on a fare that was 1/3 the cost.

QUOTE=StuckOnSegments;20471134]I think he's reinforcing the point that upgrades are no longer going to be a real benefit of FF programs. Delta and other airlines are starting to monetize those seats...and it's going to negatively affect us.[/QUOTE]
Old Mar 24, 2013, 7:09 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by reef58
This thread is not about monetizing a seat. I am all for it. It is a bit irritating for me to buy a last minute M or B fare and sit in the back, while a non FF is sitting up front on a fare that was 1/3 the cost.
Besides learning how to use quotes correctly you can also buy a last minute A or P fare just like others have that option (if it is offered). My guess is that the reason you don't do it is either it is not offered (thus a non FF is not sitting up front on a fare that was 1/3 the cost) or your company's travel policy requires you to buy the coach fare that costs 3x the last-minute first fare. The latter is an issue with your company's travel policy, not with DL.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DMIrishFlyer
THe harder i work at getting on the right flights the luckier i get with upgrades....
No not luckier, smarter. When I was SM on NWA I played the game right and got over 50% UG rate. Gold was close to 75%, PM 90%, now with DM I'm close to 97%. It's all about picking the right routes/times/

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
THIS.
+1
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
Originally Posted by SFO777
Wow, did you just wake up from hibernation? OP is pissed because DL's F fares are too low.
Whoa, Sparky. I'm wide awake. The OP's example was A fare less than economy. My point was different. Sorry to have interrupted YOUR thread.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
FCM is making Delta money. Period.

I bought more F tickets last year than ever before. Why? They weren't expensive and priced close to if not at the same as coach.

I will buy F every time if fares are as cheap as the OP posted.
Does your travel policy allow you to search for F or do you book direct?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Why on earth would ANYONE in their RIGHT MIND think that it is DL's job to supplement a travel policy?

Y'all should be angry at your travel manager, not DL. Just ridiculous.
Since i'm getting hammered over this quote(screw you for not understanding that people have travel policies) from people who didn't read the whole thread, this was a response to a person saying that I'm doing something wrong if i'm 0/22 on my normal route as a PM. I was simply telling him that i don't have flexibility to leave later on Monday or earlier on Thursday. I could plan my flights to get more upgrades, but i can't. It's that simple.

The whole reason i brought that up was because i'm ok with not getting upgraded on that flight. Jesus people, read the thread.

This complaint is around a different flight(ie not my normal route) where delta had almost no upgrade inventory in order to sell cheap F seats. I bought the seat, i'm just mad that what should have been an easy upgrade wasn't. This is another nail in the coffin of skymiles. I'm getting to the point where trying to fly DL just isn't worth it anymore.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
No not luckier, smarter. When I was SM on NWA I played the game right and got over 50% UG rate. Gold was close to 75%, PM 90%, now with DM I'm close to 97%. It's all about picking the right routes/times/
I get it, I know how to raise my chances, i just can't do it. As a result i'm 0/22 on my normal route as a PM. And i'm ok with that.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by DMIrishFlyer
Screw you??? that nice Where did i say you were an idiot... so leaving your personal attack aside... honestly I am

If you are a PM and you haven't made 1 upgrade in 22 flights then you are doing something wrong. PERIOD. Delta have tons of upgrade inventory, ask the 10 DM's who got upgraded..... I do have a travel policy to adhere too, i work within it and i still manage to get upgrades. I travel medallion heavy routes.

THe harder i work at getting on the right flights the luckier i get with upgrades....
"dumb luck should get you to 12/22"

That seemed like a personal attack.

I'd really like for you to tell me what i'm doing wrong.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Then take it up with your company and their travel policies or find a company with better travel policies. It's not DL's job to plan it's revenue and business strategry around your company's travel policies.

Good Lord do some people read what they've written before they post it?
From someone who didn't read the thread. Nice, why don't you do some reading before you post.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by StuckOnSegments
From someone who didn't read the thread. Nice, why don't you do some reading before you post.
I did read the thread. Delta doesn't have to plan it's pricing or upgrade strategies around your companies travel policies or your travel habits. Telling other posters "screw you" isn't going to change that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.