Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by fti
Please avoid quoting people now on my Ignore list.
How are we supposed to know the dynamic contents of everyone's ignore list? I'm afraid the burden is on you to avert your eyes if you see quoted text.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
I have a good one. I had a kooky week and had to add 4 segs last minute. I called after hours and got it done. I just asked the nice lady to price them on schedule in coach. It was domestic and well, well into the 4 figures. One of my segs was P and the rest were Y and H. I got upgraded on all the Y fares that night and the H fare at the gate. I SDCd and they had the hardest time figuring out what to do as there were no P fares on my new flight even though there were FC seats open. They changed by fare code so they could confirm me on the plane and they changed it to H, which I assume was what the fare actually... maybe was... but the computer was very unhappy with this move as the Coach, H fare, was priced $46 above the P fare. Supposedly they have some new software that added to the issue. After a pow wow, they go me on the way home early in EC and I sat next to a pretty gal and paid for my Bombay and Tonics.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I have a good one. After a pow wow, they go me on the way home early in EC and I sat next to a pretty gal and paid for my Bombay and Tonics.
Which was the best ?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Which was the best ?
Timing is everything
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:32 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion, Delta Amex Reserve, Marriott Rewards Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
FCM - Option to upgrade ay check-in

Interesting option was presented this morning while checking my wife and I in for some flights through ATL tomorrow. We are flying a single connect trip on a gold card companion cert. I am silver, she has no status and because of the use of a companion certificate we are excluded from the upgrade lotto.

Upon check in, an option in the middle of the screen is shown, saying buy up to first for $199. Curious I click through and sure enough we could buy up to First without any problem. In our opinion not quite worth it at that price for the flights we have, but nonetheless an interesting opportunity to fly at the front of the plane, especially on a companion certificate purchase.

Too note, even after silver upgrades cleared, there are more then enough seats up front, and if they can get some people to bite good for Delta generating the extra revenue in my opinion.

Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:45 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
OK. i was about to get real pissed at FCM after reading your first paragraph. But since you state that all medallion UG's cleared I can calm down a little. wheh. thanks.

But it makes perfect business since for delta so yes good for them. For $199 price point? I don't recall that price point for standby upgrades? Isn't it something like $50-$150 depending on length of flight? IIRC, standby UG's are only available for Y pax on K+ fares. What fares where you on? I'm not sure how the companion cert works but I assume you're fare was a paid one and your wife used the cert.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think these use sLUT fares, but not every sLUT fare is eligible.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:53 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion, Delta Amex Reserve, Marriott Rewards Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
Correct, this was a sLUT fare, and has first class available on both flights, essentially 100 dollars a segment.

With the companion cert factored in it can be a compelling buy, but the segment length didn't bring enough value for us to buy up.

Still, a nice option to buy into the front on essentially a couple $250 dollar tickets especially if you dont travel much.

As a side note roundtrip tickets to our destination were still selling for 500 in coach yesterday, about 900 up front so essentially they were giving us the option to pay the fare difference with no change fee.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Delta does *sell* last minute upgrades at checkin and at the gate if all Medallion upgrades have cleared and there is still F inventory. We don't see this often because there are so many Medallions, but if you travel on a low-elite route it is not uncommon to see a gate agent peddling cheap upgrades. I usually see them around $75 at the gate.

The important thing is that as of now, medallions clear first and then upgrades are sold to general fliers.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Interesting, as this is different than the usual upgrade-for-sale at the gate, which requires K+ fares and has fixed pricing based on flight length.

This almost does sound to me like a new FCM thing, where they are selling you the upgrade, perhaps for the difference between your ticket cost and an A or P fare.
I'd be worried if this creeps into flights where all medallions haven't' cleared yet.

Side note: I still think companion certs should allow upgrades depending on status of the pax. Treat it as pay-with-miles or an award ticket for upgrade eligibility.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
I wonder if you recieve 150% MQMs like you do on an A or P fare or if it's 100% like a buy at the gate upgrade.

I'm glad to know all medals were cleared on the flight. My concern with this is that medals who SDC can get screwed out of their upgrade.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by rylan
Interesting, as this is different than the usual upgrade-for-sale at the gate, which requires K+ fares and has fixed pricing based on flight length.
For of value of "requires K+" meaning "First they ask if anyone on a K+ fare wants the upgrade, and if they still have some left they open it to LUT fares" as I've seen happen.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond; SPG Gold; MR Platinum :)
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Delta does *sell* last minute upgrades at checkin and at the gate if all Medallion upgrades have cleared and there is still F inventory. We don't see this often because there are so many Medallions, but if you travel on a low-elite route it is not uncommon to see a gate agent peddling cheap upgrades. I usually see them around $75 at the gate.

The important thing is that as of now, medallions clear first and then upgrades are sold to general fliers.
Not totally sure how this works but I've seen them selling upgrades before clearing medallion upgrades. Does anyone know what the actual policy states?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by monsrt
Not totally sure how this works but I've seen them selling upgrades before clearing medallion upgrades. Does anyone know what the actual policy states?
My recollection from wayyyyy wayy back in some thread I'm not going to dig up is that the sale of F seats to Y pax post-checkin will only happen in cases where there is space remaining after ALL medallions have cleared.

Ran into this on a flight MSP - BDL about a month ago, asked the GA - she reiterated the same (also notable - I am FO and was flying with non-status companion who also cleared)/
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL PM
When they sell F upgrades at the gate, it is on a standby basis. They swipe a credit card, but it only gets charged if the upgrade clears, AFTER the battlefield medallion upgrades have cleared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.