Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:59 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ekozie
IME, its YMMV on this one.
I dunno what the actual policy is, I could definitely see it being dependent on what agent you get and/or status.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Duke787
I hate that 5C/D are held for the gate. It's relatively new and most of the time it doesn't go to a wheelchair (which would be legit) and instead goes to someone clearing off the standby list (since C+ clears ahead most of the time on the NYC routes).

Means you have to actually make an effort to board early too so that your bag doesn't get stuck way down the plane if in 5B
It depends on the gate agent. I've been "upgraded" to 5C on a CR9 even on a BE fare (which I booked prior to obtaining status) so that they could clear standbys into regular economy.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Need a NYC-RDU ticket.

DL Y LGA-RDU $140 (T Fare)
DL F LGA-RDU $179 (Z Fare)
UA Y EWR-RDU $206

$39 for the hour and change flight plus the 20-30 minutes we'll inch around LGA's taxiways is a no brainer.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by dcadwell
Some values on my flight(s) ATL-SIN in September.

ATL-DTW $162.66
DTW-ICN $2896.15

ICN-DTW $4953.78
DTW-ATL $687.66
Seeing similar FCM offers here for a SIN trip next month. Already have the return in D1. The outbound SEA-ICN is offering for $2036. I think I'll pass as I'm in C+ already.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Seeing similar FCM offers here for a SIN trip next month. Already have the return in D1. The outbound SEA-ICN is offering for $2036. I think I'll pass as I'm in C+ already.
Yep. I'm in PS for the long hauls, no way I'm spending that much.

Safe travels!
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by bloc0102
MSP-CUN on a 739 w/comp on an award ticket, already have seats in row 19. $121 for C+ (5 seats open), $169 for F (11 seats open, not hopeful for a comp upgrade).

​​​​​​Seems like a good buy, only thing holding me back is it's a winter flight and would hate to lose the upgrade due to weather/IROPS (did a lot of searching and all I could find is this would book into RY, so this is my assumption).

Is it possible to upfare an award ticket without change fees? That leg in F would price 15k higher than we paid, but would book into O, correct? I'm guessing I could do this if there's a schedule change.

Originally Posted by jrl767
DL will typically waive the change fee if you upfare to F **on the same flight(s) you have originally booked**

that said, once they reissue the ticket in a front cabin inventory (which I think include F/J/C/I/D/Z), you will be treated as a paid First Class passenger in the event of IROPS or schedule changes
For everyone's information, the fare went down since I booked my trip, making it only 7,500 Skymiles more to book one leg in F and the other in Y when looking at a dummy booking. The agent first was only looking at it one-way; she was coming up with a higher number since it was the other leg that reduced in price. Once she looked at round-trip she agreed at 7,500 miles and rebooked the trip with that leg in O class with no change fee.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Flying SLC-CVG-RDU next Sunday, applied a RUC way back in May and CVG-RDU cleared instantly, SLC-CVG is still waitlisted. DL is offering to sell me the upgrade for $263 which I obviously am not going to pay. Feels like the crap United does.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/2 MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
I see very expensive TPAC FCM offers. I may have to settle with C+

SFO-SEA : $59 to F
SEA-ICN : $3,491 to D1 (B767)
ICN-SEA : $1,941 to D1 & No offer to PS (A339)
SEA-SFO : $59 to F
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by SFOandNRT
I see very expensive TPAC FCM offers. I may have to settle with C+

SFO-SEA : $59 to F
SEA-ICN : $3,491 to D1 (B767)
ICN-SEA : $1,941 to D1 & No offer to PS (A339)
SEA-SFO : $59 to F
Yep. My upcoming TPAC flights between DTW and ICN, particularly on the return, are pretty bad.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by CMK10
applied a RUC way back in May and CVG-RDU cleared instantly, SLC-CVG is still waitlisted.
You used a RUC on CVG-RDU? I feel like that would clear with a RUC even at the gate. I wouldn't have used it on SLC-CVG, but if I wanted to use it on this routing, I would waitlist SLC-CVG and once that longer leg cleared, apply the RUC to the much shorter CVG-RDU.

How many seats are unassigned in F on the seat map on SLC-CVG now? As the flight is in about a week, correct?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
You used a RUC on CVG-RDU? I feel like that would clear with a RUC even at the gate. I wouldn't have used it on SLC-CVG, but if I wanted to use it on this routing, I would waitlist SLC-CVG and once that longer leg cleared, apply the RUC to the much shorter CVG-RDU.

How many seats are unassigned in F on the seat map on SLC-CVG now? As the flight is in about a week, correct?
I have four RUCs and I rarely fly Delta on longer flights. In 63 segments my average flight length is 450 miles. Therefore, I didn't mind applying it for the whole trip as SLC-CVG will be my third longest Delta flight this year and I still have one RUC in my account I have no idea what I'll be doing with. Plus, my previous two had cleared in advance, one by several months and one the week of so I decided to see if I'd get lucky.

Currently there are three seats left in F.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
So here's an interesting one:

*I booked a late LGA-ATL-JAX departure, with a tight connection in ATL two weeks ago.

*Today, the price of the earlier departure with a more comfortable connection time drops to the same price that I paid, so I redeposit/repurchase.

*The ATL-JAX is the exact same flight on both reservations. However, the later departing reservation with the tighter connection is showing the upgrade to F for ATL-JAX at $119.

The flight with the earlier departing LGA-ATL flight is showing $253 instead of $119, for the identical ATL-JAX segment.

--->So it seems the system pricing is looking at the overall "value" or price to get to F on your entire itinerary - so if your initial flight is more full up front, or the fare is higher, this will affect your "offer" even on the exact same flight for the exact same pax on two different itineraries.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
So here's an interesting one:

*I booked a late LGA-ATL-JAX departure, with a tight connection in ATL two weeks ago.

*Today, the price of the earlier departure with a more comfortable connection time drops to the same price that I paid, so I redeposit/repurchase.

*The ATL-JAX is the exact same flight on both reservations. However, the later departing reservation with the tighter connection is showing the upgrade to F for ATL-JAX at $119.

The flight with the earlier departing LGA-ATL flight is showing $253 instead of $119, for the identical ATL-JAX segment.

--->So it seems the system pricing is looking at the overall "value" or price to get to F on your entire itinerary - so if your initial flight is more full up front, or the fare is higher, this will affect your "offer" even on the exact same flight for the exact same pax on two different itineraries.
presumably the two itineraries have different cash prices in both coach and F ... that should provide a clue to RM's thinking
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
ATL-RIC is one route with consistently cheap FCM offers $63.99 one way.

Paid fares aren't bad either, checked recently and coach was $270 while F was $388 round trip. If a kettle were to check two bags each way it comes out cheaper to outright buy F or alternatively snag an FCM.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:53 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
How often does FCM come out to be cheaper than C+? I have an upcoming SEA-YYC flight with the offer of $44 to first (and $78.48 to C+). I'm not sure it'll be worth the $44 to me on a relatively short flight (plus I think the SEA skyclub doesn't allow access based on flying in F on a Canadian itinerary anymore). I'm tempted to use miles to pay for it though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.