Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Reply

Old Apr 22, 19, 8:12 pm
  #4516  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/FAY)
Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 29,038
$83.99 for BOS-RDU in May. I took the offer as it's far better than I've been seeing these days, hell RDU-DCA is typically $63.99.
Air Houston and AZwldcats like this.
CMK10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 5:55 am
  #4517  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 6,561
Got an odd couple that speak to the algorithm weirdness.

Flying RDU - LGA - RDU within the next week.

Outbound is E175 with 8F left and they want $180. Return is CR900 with 6F remaining and they only want $44.

Go figure, not biting on either, perfectly fine in C+ for the short flight and still pretty high chance one or both clears as a PM upgrade.

On the flip side my own upcoming RDU - BOS - RDU in a couple weeks is at $84 on the outbound for a flight that doesn't have a single F seat sold on the CR9 but $650 for the return on an E175 that still has 9F.

Go figure, again C+ cleared at booking so not biting on either (would rather save the money to fund my visit to Treehouse Brewing as part of that trip)
Duke787 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 7:49 am
  #4518  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Yes
Posts: 171
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Got an odd couple that speak to the algorithm weirdness.

Flying RDU - LGA - RDU within the next week.

Outbound is E175 with 8F left and they want $180. Return is CR900 with 6F remaining and they only want $44.

Go figure, not biting on either, perfectly fine in C+ for the short flight and still pretty high chance one or both clears as a PM upgrade.

On the flip side my own upcoming RDU - BOS - RDU in a couple weeks is at $84 on the outbound for a flight that doesn't have a single F seat sold on the CR9 but $650 for the return on an E175 that still has 9F.

Go figure, again C+ cleared at booking so not biting on either (would rather save the money to fund my visit to Treehouse Brewing as part of that trip)
What is the bucket inventory? From what I've seen, the pricing is simply driven off of that and not the number of open seats. It would be helpful if people posted the bucket inventory on their flights instead of simply open seats. Also, original booking class/C+ upgrades/etc. appear to have zero relevance on price from what I've seen. It's looks like they have simply set prices based on which bucket is available up front (JCDIZ) and that is the only factor that matters. Also, it appears that FCM offers go away completely when there is only J bucket left.

Have flights DTW-BWI and back on 6/9 - 6/13 with non-status companion and both flights are showing as $74 upgrades. Both flights (1233 and 1637) are currently Z9. Will monitor and update if bucket inventory change and there is no longer Z inventory.
xliioper is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 7:53 am
  #4519  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Yes
Posts: 171
Originally Posted by MarkP24 View Post
It's part of an itinerary with other flights, but I took the FCM offer on other segments.
Okay, and what is the bucket availability of the flight?
xliioper is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 10:10 am
  #4520  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 12,092
you DO know that not everyone has EF to see the buckets ...
jrl767 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 10:17 am
  #4521  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Yes
Posts: 171
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
you DO know that not everyone has EF to see the buckets ...
BCD Travel has a free availability checker -- https://flightavailability.bcdtravel...MnAvlMain.aspx
The problem is that the number of open seats may not really tell you much about seat availability. I've seen flights down to 1 or 2 seats left still have Z open and flights with most seats still open only have C or D availability.
Examples -- the two morning EWR-MSP flights on 5/13 (a Monday) are either empty or mostly empty in FC, but are showing as Z0.
Flight 3379 on 5/2 is showing as empty in FC and is J9, but only has C availability (J9 C9 D0 I0 Z0).
bloc0102 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 23, 19 at 12:10 pm
xliioper is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 12:00 pm
  #4522  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: SBN/AZO
Programs: Delta FO
Posts: 164
Got a $29/2700 mile offer for each leg LGA-PWM-LGA as part of a longer domestic itin. Took it using miles for me + companion both ways. On A319.
AeRoSpaceman and Duke787 like this.
JoelThomas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 12:04 pm
  #4523  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toledo, OH
Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 12,619
My Sunday ORD/DTW flight is $59. While I don't really care about the upgrade (there are plenty of seats in F anyway so the upgrade should go through) I'm considering it so I can SDC on the later flight out of Midway.
jamesteroh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 12:57 pm
  #4524  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 12,092
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
BCD Travel has a free availability checker -- https://flightavailability.bcdtravel...MnAvlMain.aspx
The problem is that the number of open seats may not really tell you much about seat availability. I've seen flights down to 1 or 2 seats left still have Z open and flights with most seats still open only have C or D availability.
Examples -- the two morning EWR-MSP flights on 5/13 (a Monday) are either empty or mostly empty in FC, but are showing as Z0.
Flight 3379 on 5/2 is showing as empty in FC and is J9, but only has C availability (J9 C9 D0 I0 Z0).
revenue management at its finest :/
jrl767 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 3:02 pm
  #4525  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: DL
Posts: 3
I've created an online close to real time site to help track these offers in an easier way, stay tuned
CantAffordThem is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 8:33 pm
  #4526  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold; Ex UA 1K & AA EXP
Posts: 1,334
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Okay, and what is the bucket availability of the flight?
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
you DO know that not everyone has EF to see the buckets ...
I don't have EF
MarkP24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 10:57 pm
  #4527  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 6,561
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Got an odd couple that speak to the algorithm weirdness.

Flying RDU - LGA - RDU within the next week.

Outbound is E175 with 8F left and they want $180. Return is CR900 with 6F remaining and they only want $44.

Go figure, not biting on either, perfectly fine in C+ for the short flight and still pretty high chance one or both clears as a PM upgrade.

On the flip side my own upcoming RDU - BOS - RDU in a couple weeks is at $84 on the outbound for a flight that doesn't have a single F seat sold on the CR9 but $650 for the return on an E175 that still has 9F.

Go figure, again C+ cleared at booking so not biting on either (would rather save the money to fund my visit to Treehouse Brewing as part of that trip)
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
What is the bucket inventory? From what I've seen, the pricing is simply driven off of that and not the number of open seats. It would be helpful if people posted the bucket inventory on their flights instead of simply open seats. Also, original booking class/C+ upgrades/etc. appear to have zero relevance on price from what I've seen. It's looks like they have simply set prices based on which bucket is available up front (JCDIZ) and that is the only factor that matters. Also, it appears that FCM offers go away completely when there is only J bucket left.

Have flights DTW-BWI and back on 6/9 - 6/13 with non-status companion and both flights are showing as $74 upgrades. Both flights (1233 and 1637) are currently Z9. Will monitor and update if bucket inventory change and there is no longer Z inventory.
Fair question:

RDU - LGA ($180): J8 C8 D8 I0 Z0 W3 Y3 B3 M2 H1 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
LGA - RDU ($44): J6 C6 D6 I6 Z5 W9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K9 L9 U9 T9 X9 V9 E9

Looks like it's the presence of "Z" in this case but still odd since for the outbound D8>D6 but Z0<Z5 which is presumably driving the difference

RDU - BOS ($84): J9 C9 D9 I0 Z9 W9 Y9 B9 M8 H1 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
BOS - RDU ($650): J9 C9 D9 I7 Z7 W0 Y0 B0 M0 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0

In this case again it looks like Z is pretty open but BOS - RDU is zeroed out in Y so in that context it makes sense (guess I should be happy I was able to book this one on the earlier side and lock-in the C+ aisle upgrade)

**All inventory numbers from EF
Duke787 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 19, 10:04 am
  #4528  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: PNS
Programs: DL GM, UA, AA
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Fair question:

RDU - LGA ($180): J8 C8 D8 I0 Z0 W3 Y3 B3 M2 H1 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
LGA - RDU ($44): J6 C6 D6 I6 Z5 W9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K9 L9 U9 T9 X9 V9 E9

Looks like it's the presence of "Z" in this case but still odd since for the outbound D8>D6 but Z0<Z5 which is presumably driving the difference

RDU - BOS ($84): J9 C9 D9 I0 Z9 W9 Y9 B9 M8 H1 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
BOS - RDU ($650): J9 C9 D9 I7 Z7 W0 Y0 B0 M0 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0

In this case again it looks like Z is pretty open but BOS - RDU is zeroed out in Y so in that context it makes sense (guess I should be happy I was able to book this one on the earlier side and lock-in the C+ aisle upgrade)

**All inventory numbers from EF
Would the presence of I7 cause BOS-RDU to be so much? Only know a little about fare classes.
AeRoSpaceman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 19, 10:28 am
  #4529  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 63
Checked in simultaneously on web browser on computer and on phone. Got offer on phone but not on computer (and I got further along on computer before where it was offered on phone). $859 for D1 DTW-AMS from economy fare. 9 D1 seats open.
JTE458 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 19, 7:08 pm
  #4530  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold; Ex UA 1K & AA EXP
Posts: 1,334
Originally Posted by JTE458 View Post
Checked in simultaneously on web browser on computer and on phone. Got offer on phone but not on computer (and I got further along on computer before where it was offered on phone). $859 for D1 DTW-AMS from economy fare. 9 D1 seats open.
I would take that
MarkP24 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread