Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Old Jan 6, 19, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL
Anyone know how FCM works with award tickets? Booked a one-way with miles, SFO-LAX, and tempted to take it ($83), but want to be able to refund this ticket in full. Do I lose the $83 if I cancel the ticket?
Old Jan 6, 19, 9:37 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by dlflyer00 View Post
Anyone know how FCM works with award tickets? Booked a one-way with miles, SFO-LAX, and tempted to take it ($83), but want to be able to refund this ticket in full. Do I lose the $83 if I cancel the ticket?
Yes. The upgrades are non-refundable and there's no exceptions based on status.
Old Jan 6, 19, 9:54 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, HI Spire, SPG gold, Marriott Gold, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Delta has new way to get MQ$ with FCM

tI looked at my reservation today to see if seats changed or any deals on FCM. I can upgrade to FC from LAS-LAX for only $840.27. Or I can buy a fully refundable FC ticket on the same flight/date for $325.30. I wonder who thought this through?

Last edited by puddinhead; Jan 7, 19 at 6:54 am
Old Jan 7, 19, 4:19 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM+, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
The algorithm for selecting fcm seems off. The offers I am getting this year are about 200% of the original ticket price whereas they were about 20-30% of original ticket price last year. And I generally buy W fares.

Something seems off since they did the option to pay with miles for upgrades.
Old Jan 7, 19, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
I thing the issue above is that OP doesn't have a LAS-LAX fare. Rather they have an LAS-LHR fare. Which means an ineligible international segment. My guess (it's purely a guess) is that the system is being made to break the fare and upgrade the LAX-LHR fare to one that works with LAS-LAX in F or that it's having problems allocating fare between segments.

Regardless I just did an FCM few days ago on a normal one stop domestic fare and had no issue with pricing. (Both miles and cash amounts were correct) LAX-SEA-AUS. Upgraded LAX-SEA for $79. SEA-AUS was medallion upgrade, LAX-SEA wasn't going to clear as it was last minute purchase with other DM higher on list.
Old Jan 7, 19, 6:13 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
My offer for a DTW-MDW award flight at the end of month is unchanged -- $74.18.
Old Jan 7, 19, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I was offered a buy-up into first-class on a 737 from Detroit to Atlanta for $181.68. No thanks.
Old Jan 7, 19, 7:19 am

Programs: DL Platinum 1MM, Hilton HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
PWM-JFK next Thursday for $187. That's about a 45 minute flight wheels up, wheels down.
Old Jan 7, 19, 7:31 am

Programs: DL FO; HH gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
I thing the issue above is that OP doesn't have a LAS-LAX fare. Rather they have an LAS-LHR fare. Which means an ineligible international segment. My guess (it's purely a guess) is that the system is being made to break the fare and upgrade the LAX-LHR fare to one that works with LAS-LAX in F or that it's having problems allocating fare between segments.
I think you are right. Similar, my parents are booked in G/W AMS-DTW-STL in a few weeks. I booked their tickets and see their FCM offer DTW-STL which is around 500EUR (about $550) which is in line with buying a P fare (now D or I probably).

Iíve had domestic itin buy-up offers DTW-STL recently as low as $79.
Old Jan 7, 19, 7:51 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by FLYPWM View Post
PWM-JFK next Thursday for $187. That's about a 45 minute flight wheels up, wheels down.
TIL Delta Flies PWM-JFK
Old Jan 7, 19, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta PM
Yea I've been seeing the same thing on a TPA-ATL-SAT return I have (I've already upgraded on the outbound which is via MSP with an RUC). $1560 FCM offer for TPA-ATL-SAT. I could go buy two new FC , round-trip tickets for $750 a piece. I'd happily buy-up on TPA-ATL-SAT for $150 (ie, move the decimal to the left one place) for the SDC flexibility but for $1500? It really makes me wonder if DL misplaced the decimal or if they have some other logic going on (either seeing if they can really get someone to buy-up for that or are purposely discouraging the buy-up to preserve F seats for other routes/tickets).
Old Jan 7, 19, 8:15 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
this really shouldn't be its own thread, OP. There is already tons of discussion about nonsensical FCM offers in the FCM thread.
Old Jan 7, 19, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry, SPG/Hilton Gold
Do FCM purchases even count for MQD?
Old Jan 7, 19, 10:10 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Delta PM/2.8 MM; Hertz PC; Amtrak Guest Rewards; Marriott Rewards Silver
The CES is going on in LAS; that is why this FCM offer is out of whack.
Old Jan 7, 19, 10:15 am
Moderator, Delta & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Puddinhead's thread got RBP'd as a redundant thread. I'm going to agree as questions long-answered in the primary FCM thread are now popping up here. This will be merged in moments.

3Cforme - Delta Forum Moderator
pvn likes this.

Search this Thread